back to article Xbox One users will have to pay extra for Skype and gamer-gratifying DVR

Microsoft has released the first unboxing video of its forthcoming Xbox One console, along with details on its pricing policy. The bad news is that gamers will have to pay extra for some features, but on the plus side they get a free mono headset. When the Xbox One was shown off for the first time, Microsoft's Don Matrick, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
        1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Content is King.

Only if your source of information is that bluushit Wikipedia article, where most of those studios listed have unamed projects and games nobody has ever heard of.

Spend 5 minutes weeding out the bullshit, and it's quite clear the black and white difference between 1st party studios of Microsoft and Sony.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Spend 5 minutes weeding out the bullshit, and it's quite clear the black and white difference between 1st party studios of Microsoft and Sony."

Yes - the Microsoft ones seem to be more numerous and far better funded...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Microsoft does have plenty of studios, the problem is that most of them spend all their time working on lame Kinect titles.

3. MJI Silver badge

Re: Content is King. - game studios

OK Name them, I am sure Sony have more owned studios than anyone else.

However Naughty Dog must be worth 3 or 4 of any others.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Yep, that's how Sony have ended up outselling the Xbox360"

That was purely because the PS3 included a BluRay drive - which is what many PS3s are only used for.

Next generation Sony don't have that advantage anymore.

nb - the Xbox seems to consistently have games higher up the charts and sell more games than the PS3....

1. janimal

On the other hand, as an infrequent gamer, the sony is still useful for accessing streaming services etc... but xbox requires you to pay a scam tax to MS to access your own internet connection - nice.

1. Downside
            Facepalm

Have you tried using Lovefilm on a PS3 without creating a "PS Online" account? No, didn't think you had.

(BTW you can't.)

I really can't understand the fanboi nature of this - they are both pretty much the same. I'll get both cos I want to be able to play the best games on whatever platform has them.

I love the Halo franchise and my 360s (Had two, including a launch machine that STILL WORKS, crazy huh?) but for me the best game so far is The Last Of Us - the only game I've played to the end on my PS3, as it's main duty is being a Blue Ray player.

1. h3

The last of us is like an interactive movie far too many cutscenes. (But not as good as a film).

I didn't enjoy it and though the toe bit was completely braindead.

1. MJI Silver badge

I loved TLOU, but I am also a big Uncharted fan

2. janimal

@Downside

"Have you tried using Lovefilm on a PS3 without creating a "PS Online" account? No, didn't think you had."

but a PSN account is free

2. Mark Broadhurst
          Go

I agree but why would people who have a PS3 as a blu-ray drive buy either a Xbox 1 or PS4 ?

3. fishman

<<"Yep, that's how Sony have ended up outselling the Xbox360"

That was purely because the PS3 included a BluRay drive - which is what many PS3s are only used for.>>

On the other hand, how many Xbox 360s were sold as a replacement for their high failure rate?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's what I don't get. If a games console comes out and it doesn't have a browser, media playback, blu-ry etc then people complain. If it does they say the console isn't focussed on gaming.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"They will sell or flop based on the games available."

That's not necessarily the case. Most PS3s were used primarily as Blu Ray players - and Microsoft are heavily targeting the entertainment market with the Xbox One, so if their technology works well that alone will drive sales...

1. Instinct46

I don't get it

So we have to pay for a gold account to use skype...

Don't we already have to have a gold account to use anything worth while on the internet with the current one. The price seems about the same as.

Also if your paranoid about having the xbox one camera in your living room, unplug it when your using it.

1. jaminbob

Re: I don't get it

Oh dear you nearly had me there too MS! My wife was excited at the prospect of having a single box which handled TV, DVD, BR, and SKYPE ready and running to talk to relatives in Norway and France. I'd persuaded her it was day one purchase.

Well you know what. Get lost MS.

2. Michael Habel
      FAIL

Ahhh.... But, only if it were that easy... Which if you should, ya know actually want to use that $500(USD) VCR Thingy. Needs to have the Eye of Sauron on you AT ALL TIMES!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You can't unplug Kinect 2 - it's required for the console to work.

You can disable various features such as video in the privacy settings, and if you don't trust that for some reason, its not hard to point it at a wall or put a duster over it while wearing your tin foil hat...

1. Paw Bokenfohr
        Stop

"You can disable various features such as video in the privacy settings, and if you don't trust that for some reason, its not hard to point it at a wall or put a duster over it while wearing your tin foil hat..."

Actually, I don't think that this is a tin-foil hat type argument at this point in time.

Really, when you consider the size and scope of the newly revealed spying and intelligence gathering operations especially in the US, and add in that Microsoft is an American company (at best subject to the laws that enable that scheme and at worst an active participant in them) and about to place mandated (for the console to work) HD video cameras in many living rooms and bedrooms around the world, it's not a paranoid leap to get to a thought that those video cameras could be used by the US intelligence services in some way.

Especially when you consider that the recent revelations are probably just the tip of the iceberg and of projects started some time ago - other newer ones will already be running too.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Well in that case you want to ditch all Android phones then before worrying about your games console:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/1/4580718/fbi-can-remotely-activate-android-and-laptop-microphones-reports-wsj

2. MJI Silver badge

Or a life size cut out of Steve Balmer.

3. Paul Shirley

Re: " its not hard to point it at a wall or put a duster over it"

...won't disable those oh-so-sensitive microphone arrays in the Kinect. The ones that listen for the 'on' command even with Kinect supposedly disabled. No chance of abusing that...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh

Is this even news? Anyone with half a brain won't be going anywhere near the Xbox One with it's dumb DRM (even the cut-back DRM).

If you want some real news, rather than talking about how the PS4 doesn't come with a Kinect gimmick, how about that Sony are rumored to be offering up a killer PS4/Vita bundle for only a little more than the standard price, or how the Vita can be used as a controller/2nd screen.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/ps4_and_ps_vita_bundle_coming_for_around_500_rumour.html

1. jai

Re: Meh

really? omg that's awesome

i've been wanting to find a reason/excuse to get a Vita, but so far haven't been able to find a reason to. a bundle with the ps4 could be just the thing - depends how well the 2nd screen is used in the games. could be awesome

1. MJI Silver badge

Vita - had one last Christmas

I like Unit 13 and Gravity Rush

1. Matt 4

I love gravity rush, I just wish Sony would do a Nintendo and make some Vita titles.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"or how the Vita can be used as a controller/2nd screen."

Like how pretty much any tablet or phone can via SmartGlass on the Xbox One you mean?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Like how pretty much any tablet or phone can via SmartGlass on the Xbox One you mean?"

No, because the Vita is a proper console not a screen. You can walk away and take the game with you, play on the move and then come back and contine with the full blown console version.

So on a very basic level, it's like the Wii-U, Smartglass, PSP/PS3 combo. But so much more besides.

It's called "Cross Play".

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/29/ps4-ps-vita-cross-play-support-mandatory-for-all-games-report/

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"No, because the Vita is a proper console not a screen"

So remind me what that can do that a phone or tablet cannot?

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Meh AC 09/08/2013 20:18 GMT

Play good games such as Gravity Rush, Unit 13, Uncharted Golden Abbyss, and Killzone Mercenary

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Anyone with half a brain won't be going anywhere near the Xbox One with it's dumb DRM (even the cut-back DRM)."

But plenty of us with an entire brain remaining have worked out that the proposed changes are actually an advantage to most users...

To be able to lend your games to multiple users without having to give them a disk and play your games anywhere without the disk would have been great....

3. goldcd

No idea where this surprise is coming from

As seems exactly the same policy as on the existing Xbox360.

I switched back to my PC for gaming a few years ago and just let my gold subscription lapse. No problem, if I want to play online games I'll sign up again.

Recently signed up to Netflix and thought "Oh, I think my 360 supports that" - installed the client and was promptly told that it wouldn't run until I purchased gold.

You might not like it, but Xbox policy would seem to be "anything that comes over that network socket, apart from game purchases and patches requires gold"

Personally don't really have an issue with it - just if they came out and simply said it, then life would be easier for all.

1. Michael Habel

Re: No idea where this surprise is coming from

Thats where the PS3 / 4 will kill the Failbox 360 / 1

You may still have to connect to PSN first... But you do NOT have to be a PSN+ Costumer to use Netflix and, Co.

4. MJI Silver badge

As a PS3 owner

I would rather get a 360 to play those exclusives I missed than a XB1.

We went PS3 due to more children friendly games in 2007, and I was used to the Dualshock controller.

Those children now play my shooter games!

But then I still have a large backlog.

5. g e
    WTF?

That $60 SONY want to play MP online...

Is that actually the Playstation Plus sub? They've just rolled online MP requirement into that?

Disingenuous is the word for sure. Mostly, though, because although online gaming may now have been made pay-to-play on PS4, like XBOX360 has always been and XBOX One will continue to be, the writer failed to mention it was PS+ and that PS+ itself is pretty damned good value.

I must have had over £200 of top notch commercial games from the last year of PS+, including stuff like Battlefield3, The Cave, LBP Karting and some others I already had like Infamous, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed and so on.

So, rolling online MP into PS+ as a requirement is a bit of a blow to folks enjoying free MP on the PS3 admittedly, but I doubt everything else they discover comes with PS+ will keep them frowning for long.

Of course if it isn't part of PS+ (can't see it being a separate paid-for thing) then that's different.

1. Michael Habel

Re: That $60 SONY want to play MP online...

Yeah PSN+ is actually worth the price of admission, if you approach it like the old Sega Channel of the mid 90's. Right now MicroSoft are supposedly giving away Two Games each Month up to the launch of the next FailBox. I don't know if you get to keep these or not though. The bigger question is what happens after the launch, of the FailBox, and PS4?

2. Shrimpling

The differences between Xbox Live Gold and Playstation Plus are gettings smaller all the time.

You may like to know that Microsoft have recently launched something they are calling Games for Gold that gets you free games if you have an xbox live gold account. They are releasing a different game for free every 2 weeks. So far I've had Fable 3, Assassins Creed 2 and Crackdown. Next week it should be Dead Rising 2.

Microsoft need a better marketing department because only 1 of my friends with Xbox live gold had heard about it before I told them.

1. CmdrX3

I have to confess, I knew not of Games for Gold either, so cheers for that, just grabbed crackdown, shame I missed Assassins Creed 2

1. Shrimpling

Glad I could help.

I think the problem was they announced it at E3 while everybody was still going crazy over their DRM announcement meaning a lot of people missed it.

6. Shrimpling

So nothing is really changing for xbox and needing a gold account

The real news story should be the PS4 will start charging for things that are currently free on ps3 like online games.

I'm glad I'm not planning to buy either for at least a couple of years, they will both be down to sensible prices by then and I can make a decision based on what games are available rather than a list of similar numbers and a price.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So nothing is really changing for xbox and needing a gold account

Sony have stated the ONLY thing that's hidden behind the PS+ paywall is the online play, and in exchange for that £40 spend, you get £300 worth of free games...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"in exchange for that £40 spend, you get £300 'worth' of RENTAL games"

There - fixed it for you.

The free games on Xbox Live you get to keep forever. Sony is a rental model. Stop paying for PSN+, they stop working...

2. MJI Silver badge

If this means we will be getting more games servers I do not mind, PSN+ free games are worth it, I joined to get a few just over a month ago. (ICO & LBP Karting)

I told my wife I had joined PS+.

Then she saw the free games, asled how much and was gobsmacked at £4 a month.

Currently playing Spec Ops the Line before the Survivor play through of TLOU

7. Allan1888

It's been pretty common knowledge that these features would require Xbox live gold. The DVR saves are stored on the cloud storage, last time I checked that cost money. why should freeloaders and people who do not wish to pay for a service get the same features as people prepared to pay for Xbox live gold. the way this is reported its as though MS is charging more for XBL gold when it's the same price

1. g e

Which is only a valid argument

Because Microsoft made them pay for it from the start. Including stuff like Netflix and Lovefilm where they get the privilege of paying _again_ for stuff they already paid for elsewhere.

The more sensible question should is 'Why should XBOX players have to pay for stuff other console gamers get for free, especially if they already paid the provider for that feature/service elsewhere'.

2. GregC

Yeah, or they could, you know, use the local HDD to store the footage by default and back it up online (it's not a fucking "cloud", it's just servers) if you have a whydon'tyoufuckmeintheasswhileyou'reatitgold subscription.

3. Michael Habel
      FAIL

Why the feck is this 'Game DVR BS' even a thing? Who the hell has been screaming for this?

Its not like you can post your crap on YouTube anymore without having EA, MicorSoft, Nintendo or S0NY sending out a C&D Letter to Youtube.

Beside if this really IS YOUR SATURDAY NIGHT THING, there are 1000's of other ways you could to the exact same thing, and never need an XBL! Gold Account...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

THAT's where you're pointing the article?

So Microsoft continues its current policy of requiring an XBOX Live subscription to do anything online, suprising no one, and THAT's where you think the story is?

Whereas Sony abandoning its current policy of not charging for online gaming, and starting an identical subscription service, thus undoing much of the goodwill they gained, and removing one of the main reasons for getting a PS4 over an XBOX 180, that's deemed of such little importance it just rates an single sentence towards the end of the article?

Seriously, get your priorities straight. You completely missed the real story here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: THAT's where you're pointing the article?

What sony charge you for accessing their very expensive infrastructure but let you use the internet just fine.

Microsoft charge you to use your internet connection.

2. GregC

Re: THAT's where you're pointing the article?

No - Sony are not "starting an identical subscription service". They are making a PS+ subscription mandatory for most* online play. That's not great, though the PS market at large seems to have looked at it, decided that the subscription offers good value, and given a collective "meh, ok" response.

As far as anyone knows, and some of this has been confirmed by Sony, a PS+ sub will not be required for all the other online features. By contrast it looks like a Gold sub will be pretty much required if you want to do anything more than just play games on the Xbox**

Me, I won't be getting either at launch. I still haven't managed to play all the games I've already got.

* Apparently free to play games will also be free to play online

** I must be getting old, I still actually consider a games console to be a thing to play games on

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like