back to article Police probe IDIOTIC Twitter bomb threats slung at journalists

Twitter's trolling heatwave intensified on Wednesday night when a number of journalists were targeted with terrifying bomb threats. Reprobates used anonymous Twitter handles - whose accounts now appear to have been suspended - to send messages to Guardian features writer Hadley Freeman, Independent columnist Grace Dent and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The line between trolling and threatening...

The line between the two is fine, but once something life-threatening like an explosive device gets involved, it leans towards the threatening.

Saying "Oh I wish someone blew you up" is more trollish than "A bomb's been placed outside your house, muahahaha."

And people, after all this time and all these Twitter/Facebook cases, still don't get that there is no such thing as anonymity... Even when online you'll have to take responsibility for what you write.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: The line between trolling and threatening...

It's as fine as Vallis Marineris.

2. h3

I still think it is not worth bothering with. How many of these have actually resulted in a bomb going off ?

None as far as I know. I would just ignore it completely.

3. h3

We shouldn't be in a situation where the police response is governed by what the media wants to happen.

(Portugal the police won't comment at all on an ongoing investigation which is exactly how it should be).

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Really?

(Portugal the police won't comment at all on an ongoing investigation which is exactly how it should be).

So when a senior Portuguese police officer writes a entire book for his own profit on an ongoing abduction investigation, that doesn't constitute 'comment'?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeline_mccann#Gon.C3.A7alo_Amaral_book

1. Tom 7

Re: Really?

And that's why the Portuguese courts banned the sale of the book.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For all you fine young men out there thinking of trying this

Let me assure you that I'm a real expert at using computers and if you install AdBlock Pro there's no hope of them finding you. Right, everyone?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One thing Twitter really needs to fix

Is their spokeswoman who popped up on Channel 4 News and Newsnight. I'm sure she's lovely and is great at talking to people one-to-one; but, after several days of Twitter stonewalling, and when they've had plenty of time to come up with a meaningful response, she dropped the ball. Rather than saying it was unacceptable behaviour and that the company was doing everything it could to find these (ab)users and work with the police, she just kept dropping into West Coast management speak. For a media company they really aren't very good with - well - the media.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like