back to article Burger-rage horse dumps on McDonald's: Rider saddled with fat fine

A Greater Manchester woman has found to her cost that if you turn up on horseback to a McDonald's drive-through window and are refused service, it's probably unwise to then lead your mount into the restaurant and let it crap on the floor. The unnamed horse-lover rolled up to the fast food outlet on Bury New Road, Whitefield, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
      1. pepper

Re: It's not all that bad

I agree with, cow or horse dung isnt that badly smelling. I find human and dog excrement much les favoured by my smelling senses.

1. Shagbag

caused obvious distress and upset to customers trying to eat

WTF?

Do they know what they're eating? Pink slime, white slime, whatever you want to call it. A colon is still "100% beef" as long as it comes from a cow.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Shagbag

"Do they know what they're eating? Pink slime, white slime, whatever you want to call it."

"McDonald's,[96] Burger King and Taco Bell announced they would discontinue the use of BPI products in their food.[97] Wendy's ran full-page advertisements in eight major newspapers (including The New York Times, USA Today, and the Los Angeles Times), stating that it has never used the product. A Wendy's spokesperson told Reuters news agency, "We have never used lean finely textured beef (pink slime) because it doesn't meet our high quality standards."[77][98] Five Guys confirmed that "We do not have pink slime in our ground beef. We use 80/20 ground chuck. Our manufactures [sic] do not use ammoniated procedures."[99] Red Robin stated that it has "never purchased or served beef containing the so-called 'pink slime.'"[65]"

[96]Matthew Rosenbaum, McDonald's Announces End to 'Pink Slime' in Burgers (February 1, 2012).

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_slime)

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: @Shagbag

At which point it was re-branded "enriched, decontaminated, textually enhanced beef" and buying recommenced. Or perhaps I'm just a little too cynical.

2. Michael Strorm Silver badge

Re: caused obvious distress and upset to customers trying to eat

Shagbag: "A colon is still "100% beef" as long as it comes from a cow.".

Pink slime (i.e. low-quality connective tissue that's been highly processed and antibacterially treated) isn't legal for human consumption (*)- let alone allowed to be called "beef" (**)- within the EU. That includes the UK, where this incident took place.

(For that reason the US disclaimers are also irrelevant. Aside from the fact that policies often vary in different markets and wouldn't necessarily apply to the EU, they would never have been able to (legally) use pink slime here in the first place).

(*) Whereas in the US they're allowed to include up to 15% pink slime and still call it "ground beef" (their name for "minced beef").

(**) Before American law was changed to make it explicitly legal, one microbiologist in the US Department of Agriculture had apparently stated that "I do not consider the stuff to be ground beef, and I consider allowing it in ground beef to be a form of fraudulent labeling" and that that such connective tissue is not even "meat".

1. Danny 14

Re: caused obvious distress and upset to customers trying to eat

they are made from real meat in scunthorpe factory.

2. Captain DaFt

>one steaming pile of Mc-road apples on floor<

cashier: "You want flies with that?"

1. andreas koch
      Joke

@ Captain DaFt

That's just razy lacism.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maccies plus horse = pikey for sure.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eh?

Don't serve pedestrians???

Cyclists????

Why not??

Mr MacDonald, give me ONE valid reason why that is..

And your company being awkward isn't valid.

Glad I stopped eating the shit years ago...

On a secondary note, bet that horse has disappeared only to return in between a bread cake with gherkin...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Eh?

>Don't serve pedestrians???

>Cyclists????

>Why not??

Wonder if anyone has done DNA test on the patties for Pedestrian, Cyclist etc?

2. Dan 37

"give me ONE valid reason why that is"

erm.. lets see..

for pedestrians - it's a narrow, winding lane wrapped tight around the building, where drivers are not expecting to see pedestrians. They should be going slow, but pedestrians shouldn't be there.

also for pedestrians - if you're on foot, go inside and join the queue like everyone else. If the drive through lane is empty then the drive through attendant may be helping fulfill orders placed at the counter. Therefore if you walk up to the drive through and get served then you are essentially queue jumping.

for cyclists - your hands are on the handle bars right? both of them? then how are you holding the fucking mcdonalds anyway. (I know in a car the driver should have hands on the wheel but the passengers can eat, or the driver can put his bag of food on the passenger seat until he gets to wherever he wants to stop and eat). p.s. saw a cyclist soar through a red light at a junction of probably the 3rd and 4th busiest roads in my town - both hands busy eating a bag of crisps. Things like this give me homicidal urges.

1. Stoneshop
        Facepalm

p.s. saw a cyclist soar through a red light at a junction of probably the 3rd and 4th busiest roads in my town - both hands busy eating a bag of crisps. Things like this give me homicidal urges

Why? If he manages to evade Darwin, I see no reason to override that. If he doesn't, well, problem solved anyway.

1. Dan 37

The problem isn't so much his own darwinism, but the danger he poses to other road users. Can't count the times we've had near misses between daughter's push chair and cyclists on pedestrian crossings because so many cyclists are fuckwits that don't know what red lights are for (for the fella that complained about my homicidal urges - don't like it, don't pose a danger to my family). And yes, I'm aware many drivers are also fuckwits.

2. Alan_Peery
        Thumb Down

> Things like this give me homicidal urges.

Then see a psychologist - seriously. What you said isn't funny.

3. Peter Simpson 1
        WTF?

"for pedestrians - it's a narrow, winding lane wrapped tight around the building, where drivers are not expecting to see pedestrians. They should be going slow, but pedestrians shouldn't be there."

Maybe they've figured it out by now, but the geniuses that designed the McD's restaurants near me (are they all built to the same standard plan?) thought it would be a good idea to put the entrance door right in front of the drive up window...so people coming from the parking lot walk right in front of the punters picking up their bags of goodies, while checking to see if they got enough ketchup packets as they hit the gas...

1. Dan 37

i think we have the same set of geniuses at our lacal McD's. Pedestrians entering from the car park cross the entrance to the drive through lane, pedestrians from the street side cross the exit from the drive through lane.

I guess the pedestrians crossing the road at least have the option of paying attention to traffic whereas the guy being served at the drive through counter wouldn't notice a car approaching as he will be lost in thought over that deep philisophical conundrun: would you like to 'go large'?

3. Charles Manning

This is the drive through....

All sorts of liability issues if a pedestrian/cyclist gets crushed by a car.

Add lawyers and common sense goes AWOL.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The unnamed horse-lover rolled up…"

Rolled up? Was the horse wearing rollerskates?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Of course not. Any self-respecting horse wears in-line skates. What do you think this is, the 70s?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Even that conjures up a scary thought!

6. ChrisM

Didn't Mark Thomas take a flatbed lorry (complete with performing rockband) through a McD's drive-through?

It was about 15-20 years ago and as I am on my mobile a youtube search is out!

1. Haku

Yep, he certainly did, along with some other crazy antics, very funny to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXjTkwOJQyw

2. Stoneshop
      Go

Top Gear as well

using a Marauder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDoRmT0iRic

3. George Nacht
      Happy

Never saw Mr.Thomas,

but you do not have to go so far in the past. Richard Hammond, when testing South African Marauder, did very interesting things in drive through (and elsewhere). Pulling the bag through the gun-port was funny, too.

On the other hand, for a love of God I can´t remember whether it was McDonalds or otherwise...

7. Denarius
    Happy

please let that be a tank

and the natural lineas the turret turns to face the order windows... Go on, make my day

8. Charles Manning

Supersized

I hope it was.

9. Haku

"unable to serve pedestrians, bicycle riders or customers on horseback"

It's almost like they only want the lazy patrons...

I can't suggest cyclists organise a mass descent on drive-thru's to try and get them to change their mind because if it worked then the remaining few healthy people we still have in this country would be encouraged to eat that slop - just imagine the advertising campaigns.

10. Parax

McDonalds has beef with horse

(That's nicked from the internet)

11. wowfood

Damn horses

Just a random note of dislike.

I like horses, they're nice animals, they can be sweet and they're fun to ride.

I do not like the fact taht, where I work, there is somebody nearby who has a horse (there's about 4 of them actually)

There are three walking routes around where I work which I can go along for lunch. One is a large pedestrian / cycling path... painted with horse shit.

The other is a small lane which takes you round the back of the industrial estate... coated in horse shit.

The third route takes you past a school.... I'd rather not go past a school at lunch time, pedonoia.

Now, we have strict cleanups laws for dogs, you aren't meant to let your dog shit wherever, and if it does you're meant to clean it up. So why can a horse, who can spread their shit over the width of a pavement, whos shit smells far worse, be allowed to crap wherever and have no penalty to the rider. They should have to clean up after their horse the same way I do my dog.

1. S4qFBxkFFg

Re: Damn horses

Herbivore/Carnivore distinction, AFAIK herbivore crap is less dangerous than carnivore crap due to less parasites. It's also more useful for crop fertilisation if you're trying for the various organic certifications.

Mind you, my source on this is some guy who worked on a farm for a bit, so take it as you will.

(On an unrelated note, it's a lot easier to get off shoes.)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"AFAIK herbivore crap is less dangerous than carnivore crap due to less parasites"

It's 'fewer' not 'less'

2. John H Woods Silver badge

I completely agree that pedestrian walkways and cycle paths should not have so much horseshit on them that you cannot easily walk or cycle on them - which is what you appear to be suggesting. But it's difficult to take that seriously if you think horse shit is more offensive than dog shit - surely you can't be serious?

A person riding a horse, although they should avoid areas where droppings will cause a problem, can absolutely not be expected to clean up! What do you suggest ... get off, scoop it into a giant rucksack and get back on? A reasonable size horse drops several kg per hour, cannot safely be expected to stand quietly unless tied - and also may not be that easy to get back on if you aren't near a mounting block.

If you have a problem with the horses producing the "obstacles", have a word with the riders about taking a different route. Suggesting they poop-scoop (except within about 50m of the yard gates) is likely to fall on deaf ears, for a very good reason.

1. dorsetknob
        Trollface

if you see a Mcdonalds on the hoof taking a Dump then photograph the event

make sure to contact your Local council so they can take action under the usual ANTI LITTER BY-LAWS

if they can fine a smoker for dropping a butt or a child for dropping a sweet wrapper then they can fine the rider for letting his Burger take a dump in Public and (maybe prosecute for indecent exposure as well)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Horse can not be riden or even walk on a ffottpath, therefore they are commiting an offence. However, they can be taken / riden on cycle routes.

Just saying

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

> pedonoia

"Pedonoia represents the child state of Mind and the first child-like thoughts and child-models of information"

What?

4. Bleu
      Headmaster

Understand, the point, but you must be joking. Dogshit, while less noisome than that of some humans (presumably living on rancid fat, meat, and sugar, thus leaving a toilet smelling like they dropped a dead rat from the arse) has a revolting stench and, unlike humans, many have moronic bipedal owners who get their jollies from encouraging their pet to crap anywhere and sniggering at the thought of the poor bastard who'll later step in it.

Cat is revolting, too, although many cat owners appear to love it, but that is only a problem if you visit one of the many cat lovers who enjoy the stench of catshit.

Horse is quite tolerable.

5. Kubla Cant
      Unhappy

I too find it annoying to have to dodge horse shit when I'm on a cycle track. I find myself wondering whether this is a result of the disdain that the equestrian classes have always felt for everybody else (but that's just the sort of mad idea that results from cycling too fast).

In the Swiss ski resort of Zermatt there are lots of horses that pull sleighs and carriages around the village. These are all fitted with a large bag to catch the droppings. It looks pretty stupid, and there's something depressingly Swiss about it, but it keeps the streets cleaner. If the equestrians don't care for this solution, then they should be obliged to find an alternative solution. It wouldn't kill them to get off their high horses and shovel it up. It might be a suitable repayment for the elaborate consideration that equestrians expect from other road users.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Personally, I think you're just talking crap.

Perhaps alternate routes are an option, but you typically don't ride your dog around town now do you? Not unless it's a very big dog. (and you're equally very small)

12. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Horselover Fat?

I'm sure there is a possibility to bring up VALIS but I can't find it.

1. Bleu
      Headmaster

Re: Horselover Fat?

Can't see a VALIS connection, but re. the Damn Horses thread, the part (and scene in the great movie) of A Scanner Darkly where Barris feeds Arctor worse than usual substance D (because cut with something else nasty), after having sabotaged Arctor's car is relevant.

Arctor opens the bonnet and smells dogshit.

Lord, I hate dog owners who leave the crap from their pets all over the place, evidently sniggering at the thought of someone later stepping in it, they so closely resemble the arseholes who plant chewed chewing gum on public transport seats.

Catshit also has a seriously horrid stench, but the patterns of the 'domestic' cat are such that one only has to suffer that stench when visitlng one of the many cat lovers who appear to enjoy livlng in a miasma of cat excreta.

Horses are quite tolerable on those terms, being in a stable or even mucking out are not stomach-churning experiences.

13. Purlieu

Walk Thru

Do they still have McD walk thru's in London, they certainly did in the 90's

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It probably wanted a family reunion.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

tank + McDonald's drive-through

well it not a chieftain tank but a scimitar tank(?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0oM8G8LVbo

16. Matt_payne666

Its my restarant... Its my rules...

It doesn't matter how logical, sane, or bonkers the rules are, you have to put up with them if you want to use the service...

They could decide that on Tuesdays only people wearing top hats can be served at the counter... makes no sense... but that's the joys of owning your own establishment - its yours... so your rules... don't like them - go elsewhere...

as for taking a horse into the restaurant... that is really bad manners and shows a total lack of respect for the restaurant, staff, punters and most importantly - the horse...

17. adminspotting

"motor vehicle"

If I owned one, I'd be tempted to take a steam traction engine (which is not a "motor vehicle") to the local drive-thru[sic] and see what they say...

18. NomNomNom

Wow

dozens of comments but no-one has raised the obvious issue that even if Mcdonalds did serve horses how would the horse ask what it wanted or pay for the food?? think people are overlooking the primary problem!

1. Bleu
      Pint

Re: Wow

The horse learnt to do that through long viewing and careful study of an ancient television documentary called Mister Ed.

19. Nigel Brown

Forget H&S, policies, road laws, etc

There's a thing called common decency, and to let a shit machine into somewhere where people are eating goes way beyond that.

Vile woman.

1. Lamont Cranston

Re: Forget H&S, policies, road laws, etc

She did try to obtain her for without walking her horse into the establishment, but they refused to serve her. Non-violent protest is a good thing, and if brief proximity to horse shit is going to upset your tummy, might I suggest that you refrain from leaving the house, let alone eating at McDonalds?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like