back to article Seven snazzy smartphones for seven sorts of shoppers

The main drawback of folk thinking you know more than the average person in the street about digital kit is the inevitable stream of requests from friends, relatives and people you’ve slept with to suggest the ideal new phone for them come upgrade time. It’s not that I mind helping but I do tire of the inevitable “...but so- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
          Joke

Re: Pixels != noise

@David W.

Very similar to my work from the weekend.

The way i've caught the light on the sea, just as the dogs jumped in was amazing. Here it is:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I need to juggle lots of email accounts.

Which is better for managing multiple email accounts, along with Twitter and Facebook, for work - Blackberry, Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia, or iPhone?

Please put any fanboi feelings to one side. I'm running a small start up company, and need to manage my company's multiple email addresses (front of house, news letter, feedback, personal, etc.) and social media presence while on the go. I need all the help I can get!

I cannot ask the rest of the web, as it's all split into partisan forums. I know hat answer I'll get on Mac or Androidforums.

I trust you guys - please don't let me down!

1. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face

Re: I need to juggle lots of email accounts.

It's more about the mail client, surely? K-9 Mail allows you to connect to multiple mail accounts, and has the option to display everything in a unified inbox.

1. Dazed & Confused

Yes - but which phone has the best mail client available?

I believe that the stock Blackberry one is good. But it's not going to have the amount of choice when it come to social meda apps like Buffer (OP said Twitter and Facebook too) compared to Android and iOS. I expect the same problem goes for Win Phone.

I don't know the answer, but I think that's the OP's question - platform rather than specific phone.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Genuinely, it depends on your budget and your needs. The Nexus 4, iPhone 5, Lumia 920 and BB Z10 are all more than capable phones. All will do what you want. My advice would be to ignore advice from anyone here or elsewhere on the internet. They are all quasi-religious nut-jobs....

3. andy mcandy
      Thumb Up

the BB10 hub is excellent. i got a Z10 as a corporate trial and have been using it heavily since launch date. just like the article says, management of different message types and accounts is very very good.

it has totally replaced my personal android device which was running 4.1

the phone may have been "free" to me, but it doesnt stop me recommending it to all my friends as a really good device. the camera is pretty good too, excellent pictures from the polo festival this weekend :)

4. triceratops triceps

aquamail from the Play store on any landfill Android.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The fact you've written 'social media presence' without a hint of shame or irony means an iPhone will suit you perfectly.

2. Jack Project

I see you had to shoehorn the iphone in.

"Hmmm it's not the best in any particular field so what can we make up so we don't upset the fantards."

3. Andrew James

Note II ... 2 days battery life ??

We obviously have very different ideas about what intense use is. Because in the six months I had my Note II I was using it what i would consider intensely and it wouldn't last the full 16-18 hours that I wanted it while I was awake.

When I was admitted to hospital in January I immediately ordered two replacement batteries and charger for them.

1. csumpi
      Black Helicopters

Re: Note II ... 2 days battery life ??

Something's wrong with your phone then. I have a note 2, use it all the time, runs for more than two days without the battery even dipping under 25%.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Something's wrong with your phone then.

Or his location, with respect to phone signal.

If you have WiFi in your hospital room, try turning off 'data' - it might be trying to pull down a 3G signal at the expense of its battery.

1. Andrew James

Its not the location, or an inability to get it set up to preserve battery. Its usage. If it will last 8 hours of HD video, then a combination of games, messaging, internetting, phonecalls and video etc is obviously not going to survive 2 days.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When did I get so old...

Am I the only one nowadays with a candy bar phone that I actually (heaven forbid) use as a phone???

Sure I've tried other peoples smart phones and first thing I always do is dial my own mobile and leave a voicemail to see:

a) how my greetings message sounds on the smartphone

and b) how my message sounds on my real phone

The number of "smart" phones that make you sound like you are talking underwater, or cannot cope with having air conditioning blowing on you at the same time as talking, is ridiculous.

I just want a phone I can:

* Make phone calls from

* Send text messages with

In the spirit of full disclosure: I've got a crackberry from work which I have to take everywhere - I only ever use that for work email and work related internet - I give everyone my personal number because that way I can actually talk to them!

1. GregC

Re: When did I get so old...

The only one? Almost certainly not.

I'm the polar opposite to you though - for me my "phone" is basically a highly portable computer with almost-anywhere internet access that has the bonus of being able to make the odd call (for which it works just fine). Each to their own really.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As many have said, the S4's gimmicks don't work most of the time.

The HTC One at least comes with a decent amount of storage as standard. Until the 32GB S4 arrives in the UK it's not something I would invest in. Even with the "move to SD" card fudge that Samsung has produced you still need storage free in the internal memory to download things to in the first place.

Samsung would have been better losing all of the gimmicks and give people better storage, 32GB and 64GB as standard.

6. gizmo23

sir henry

I see your reference.

I reckon that the primary functions of a phone are to have good sound (voice, not music) and to keep a good signal. I get infuriated when my phone shows 3 bars of signal until I hit the call button and presto! Suddenly I'm in the middle of a previously-undetected dead spot.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: sir henry

Along with "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I would spend it all on drink!"

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: Apple store service.

'It’s second to none, with staff unfailingly polite, helpful and eager'.

That's precisely what's so f*cking annoying about them.

8. AndyC
    FAIL

I wouldn't recommend an Android...

Not now. Not after all of the problems I've had with the "Insufficient Storage Available" error. Google solution (in a telephone conversation with them), contact Samsung.

Why should I? The problem is Android, not Samsung. HTC, Motorola and even the Nexus 4 have the same problem.

Online solution, delete some apps. Delete some data.

Why should I? Just sort it out Google!

9. Duffy Moon

Audio DAC

Anyone know what DAC chips these phones use and which is the best?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Audio DAC

I don't, sorry - though the guys on this site seem keen on discussing such things:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661448/us-samsung-galaxy-s4

Apparently the octa-core S4s hve Wolsfsons, the US and UK dual core variants have Qualcom DACs.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/601535/dac-of-sony-xperia-s

If this is for home listening, many Android handsets support USB-Audio, so you might want to look into using an external DAC of your choice. When looking into portable 192Khz 24bit portable players (there aren't many), I saw that some people use iPads with external DACs through the 'camera connection kit', too. Otherwise, I'd go for a Sansa Clip player, or read up on a Colorfly C3 (24bit).

Some Nokias are said to have very good ADCs, so it's possible they have good DACs too.

1. Duffy Moon

Re: Audio DAC

Thanks for the links etc.

I didn't know some supported USB-Audio. I wonder which USB to i2s/spdif converters work with Android. I would certainly prefer to use my external DAC (dual-mono Twisted Pear Buffalo II)

10. Dave 15

Buy a phone with a bloody great battery?

Why?

Why not buy a phone with an operating system and applications designed to eek the best out of the processor and battery.... oh yes, I forgot, that was toasted by Elop wasn't it?

11. sebbie

Low regards of author

iPhone for "incompetent newbies", quite insulting.

Judging people by their phone is as shallow as saying "I'm better person than you because my car is worth 10x more than yours". Pathetic.

12. KierO

Don't make me laugh!

"A near no-questions-asked replacement policy is the cherry on the cake." - Don't make me laugh.

Back when I still used iPhones, of varying levels, I heard all sorts of crap from Apple about why my device would not be replaced free of charge, even though the fault(s) was plain to see (my last iPhone stop getting any signal due to an internal aerial issue), instead I was always asked to spend £120-£150 to get a "reconditioned" replacement handset. Bloody rip-off!

When I complained to my mobile network they said :

"If it was ANY other phone than an Apple iPhone we would have just replaced it for you. Sorry but even when the device is still under contract and the fault is obviously a handset issue you still need to have an Apple Carepack"

13. k9gardner

Smartphones vs cellphones

You know... sometimes I just wish that I had a cell phone again. Something that I'd know I could pull out and use to make a phone call, that it wouldn't be out of juice after less than a day, that I could hold on my shoulder when my hands are full, and that I could actually hear the other party clearly without having to hold it "just so" against my ear. I love my iPhone... for everything but making phone calls.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like