back to article Hacker who helped find Steubenville rapists threatened with decade in prison

A security consultant who helped uncover evidence of the repeated rape of an Ohio teenager has been raided by the FBI and charged with offenses that could see him spend 10 years in prison. Last year, a 16 year-old girl from Steubenville, Ohio was repeatedly assaulted by members of the local football team, dubbed Big Red, after …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. intrigid

Re: As near as I've been able to ascertain...

So let me get this straight: You're criticizing people for worshiping vigilantism, and then you go on to say that you would be a vigilante and gladly accept your punishment?

The amazing thing is that rest of your post made even less sense.

1. Stephen Michael Kellat
    Black Helicopters

Fourth Amendment Worries

When the Ohio Attorney General's office has to take extraordinary action to become involved in a local prosecution, nothing about a case is normal. The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation can take action to investigate in cases where something is perceived to be wrong with the local investigation. The Governor himself can order removal proceedings against any county Sheriff and any county's Prosecuting Attorney under Section 3.08 of the Ohio Revised Code if necessary for the causes listed in Section 3.07 of the Ohio Revised Code. Legal mechanisms exist within Ohio's legal structures to deal with many of the issues that episode brought up instead of the drama that played out in the news even to the north in Cleveland.

This was not really a matter of "if" but rather "when". As it crossed a state line since the security consultant was based in Kentucky and the target was based in Ohio, FBI has primary jurisdiction within our federal republic. The case would likely go to a federal district judge in Kentucky in this instance since that is where the arrestee lives.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

God Bless Americturd

Home of the Brave (football players)

Land of the free (to commit vile crimes)

This story makes me want to puke, it's the poorest taste ever that law enforcement would rather protect a bunch of rapist jocks rather than prosecute them for something so vile. And at the same time try to terrorise a hacker for exposing this to the world.

4. hugo tyson
    FAIL

Parallels with the misidentification of not-the Boston bomber?

...might be a cause for concern. But indeed, you would think a sharp talking to by the FBI with the logo jackets and shades and everything would do the trick. So yes, fear conspiracy by the local incompetent biased law-enforcement.

5. Peter Simpson 1
    WTF?

Criminal hacking?

Is it a crime if it's done to uncover evidence of a crime?

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Criminal hacking?

"Is it a crime if it's done to uncover evidence of a crime?" Yes. It is a further crime to gain unauthorised access to a website and replace or deface it, even if you are posting evidence of a crime. That's the crimes we know happened - how many phones and/or email accounts of innocent boys got hacked looking for the evidence?

1. Johan Bastiaansen
        Happy

Re: Criminal hacking?

I don't know. How many phones got hacked by Rupert Murdochs gang? How many years is he doing?

6. Green Nigel 42
    Black Helicopters

Duplicitous Police morality

No wonder the Teliban call the US the great Satan.

Excuse me there's some one ran the door bell.....................................

7. Robert Cunningham

Outrageous

If this story proves true, the Ohio police and FBI should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

8. CrashM
    WTF?

Witchhunt...

The government want to do away with something they are scared of (hackers), this is like the days of hunting down women for being good at maths or medicine!

9. Johan Bastiaansen
    Angel

The logic behind this

They are not worried about rapists, rapists don't hurt "da man".

They worry about hackers, hackers can hurt "da man".

The solution, rape the FBI goons and put that video on the web. If the goons don't want their children to see that, they shouldn't have been protecting rapists. "But I was only following orders" went out of style at the Nuremberg trials.

Oh, and don't forget to send them an invoice for a "crash course in empathy".

The will become better people and the world will become a better place.

10. Potemkine Silver badge

As the poem says,

"Ashes to ashes and clay to clay,

If the enemy doesn't get you,

your own folks may"

Poor girl. May the bastards who rape her share some day the same fate.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re.poem

Nah, here's hoping the bastards who made that sickening video of their attack in the first place get out of prison with a BAD case of chronic piles, genital herpes, AIDS and assholes the size of goatse.

Now that is payback.

PS: I support vigilantes, so sue me.

AC

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: AC Re: Re.poem

".....I support vigilantes....." Whilst I agree with your sentiment I would suggest you support smarter ones next time.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.