back to article Apple at WWDC: Sleek new iOS, death of the big cats, pint-sized Mac Pro

Apple came out swinging at its detractors during its Worldwide Developers Conference keynote presentation in San Francisco, announcing a slew of new products including iOS 7, the next version of OS X, new MacBook Air notebooks, a "sneak peek" at the next-generation Mac Pro, and iTunes Radio - nee iRadio. "Can't innovate …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: It's not when they came out, it's when they stopped selling them.

meh. so you can't upgrade old phone and tablets. So what? I have an iPad 3, so I could upgrade. But I'm running iOS 5, I saw no need to upgrade to 6, and I see no need to upgrade to 7 either. The only thing in there that remotely caught my attention was getting rid of the stupid 8 tab limitation on Safari, and whilst useful, its not worth an upgrade.

1. Wibble
                Thumb Up

> getting rid of the stupid 8 tab limitation on Safari

Use Atomic Web Browser - no tab limitations and includes AdBlock.

2. davemcwish
                Paris Hilton

Yup. I looked at iOS 7 and thought the icons just look ghastly; don't care what Sir Jony thinks. On the iOS 7 site they've also rescaled the iPhone 5. It would be interesting to see what they look like on a correctly sized device.

As for the other changes: Notification & Control centres - not needed them yet. Multitasking - ditto. Safari - dont use. Siri - never used. Airdrop wont work on my 1 year old (New) iPad (3). Camera App - use Pure instead. iOS in the car - OK I'll change if Tim pays. App Store - works fine, what's the use case for "Apps near me" other than being a nosey iFan ?

Apart from the very obvious hyped comments, a lot of what I briefly read was Mac lovers dev ending Cupertino doing a reverse ferret and going back to the 'great designers steal' of Jobs 1994 era (and make them better).

Paris - a better looking 'icon' than the new iOS offerings

1. John 62

Old iOS devices

I myself am rocking a 2008 iPhone 3G. It's still on iOS 4.2, but it still works. True, I can't get the new shiny apps (or many updates) but it still makes phone calls, sends SMSs, plays music, browses the web and lets me play Dungeon Raid and read Classics. I paid 150 quid for the device (yeah, yeah, monthly payments) and I will use it until it breaks.

But I know of very few people with anything earlier than an iPhone 4.

1. Jes.e

Looks sorta familiar..

The new task switching interface sounds sort of familiar and the new Safari tabs interface site sure looks like something I've seen before somewhere..

Oh wait!

I'm also disappointed in the Pro but not surprised. Apple has gone completely over to consumer designs.

Apparently when your clock battery expires in your currant desktop aluminum framed iMac desktop you are supposed to throw away the machine and get a new one as there is no user access to the battery compartment (or anything else) any more.

Contrast this with the internal design of the G5 iMacs. Brass screws for user service parts and security screws for "don't touch!".

Beautiful elegant design at its best.

The revealed Mac Pro is more akin to the old Mac Cube.

I Think Apple's argument here is that computers evolve so fast it's better to replace the whole thing rather than upgrade.

This may be true, but the design is sure cheaper to manufacture giving higher profit margins along with giving more sales per person in the long run..

1. johnnymotel

Re: Looks sorta familiar..

Been using all sorts of macs for twenty years, never changed an internal clock battery, not once. Bit of a moot complaint I'd say.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Looks sorta familiar..

"...when your clock battery expires..."

I have a radio with a lithium button cell (to hold up the volatile RAM during primary battery changes) from 1984 that simply refuses to die. Very close to thirty years old now.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

G5 iMacs were a bit of a disaster

See eggfreckles (blog by a former Mac store senior worker)-apparently repairing customers' inept repairs was a nightmare. He's convinced the experience left Apple determined to seal in everything and bring all repairs into their stores.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Big Brother

iCloud Keychain

Ahahaha. No.

1. ~mico
      Trollface

Re: iCloud Keychain

Now with NSA master key.

3. Eddy Ito
    WTF?

Mavericks!?!

I heard at work and thought; are they naming it after the Dallas basketball team or James Gardner's character in the TV series?

"a place with some of the biggest waves and most extreme surfing in all of North America: OS X Mavericks."

Oh, so it has zero relatability to 99% of most people and I'm speaking as someone living in SoCal. Who knows, maybe that's what they are going for with 10.9 but we'll know after it's been in folks hands for a while.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Mavericks!?!

I reckon it's Mel Gibson's character in the movie of the same name.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Happy

I was thinking Top Gun, so they could soon be giving us Goose and Ice-man...

And for reminding me of that film I think my next tablet should be an Android, as punishment for them.

1. ratfox
          Trollface

Naah, everybody knows that a maverick is a wild cow

2. Irongut

Nah they've designed it specifically for a Spanish Moto3 racer.

1. Darryl

Nope, it's the old Ford family hauler. Next up, the Pinto, then if we're lucky, the Granada

4. ~mico
    Gimp

Dammit

The new MacPro is the first Mac I want to actually own... I've never felt so compelled to use the fanboi icon before.

1. amanfromearth

Re: Dammit

Don't go putting it on the floor by your desk. Colleagues will soon fill it with half eaten sarnies and old coffee cups.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MBA - Apple flash ripoff

£180 for an extra 128Gb flash. Blimey.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: MBA - Apple flash ripoff

Oh good grief will somebody please take this old argument out to the paddock and shoot it.

It's 128GB of SSD-spec Flash - not a fricking USB stick. A bit of research shows a spec-equivalent SSD would cost you $160 on Amazon. Okay Apple have a bit of a markup, but it's nowhere near as massive as you imply.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Funny...the ones in my machine cost £70 inc VAT. For a better one take it up to £95 inc VAT.

I've seen worse markups on SSDs (server vendors form a line and raise your hands) but for a desktop class part Apple are definitely taking the piss on that SSD pricing.

1. Eradicate all BB entrants

Gouging would be a few years back with the 22" Cinema display. Exactly the same panel I have in my Samsung monitor. I paid £200, Apple were charging £649. £450 for an aluminum case and USB expansion.

The graphics card upgrades used to make me laugh too £175 for a nVidia card that was available for £40 retail and 2 years behind current releases. Then again all of the big box boys do the same, but none are better at making mugs from punters than Apple.

1. Steve Todd

Erm, Apple do not now, nor have they ever made a 22" Cinema Display. They DID make 20, 23, 24 and 30" models. The current one is 27", but includes a bunch of Thunderbolt stuff. Result: your 22" Samsung could not have used the same panel and doesn't provide the same functions as (the admittedly more expensive) Apple display.

6. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    FAIL

Revenge of the Mac Cube

That new Mac Pro won't be so sleek when it's surrounded by a tangle of data cables, accessory boxes with noisy fans and blinking lights, power cables, power bricks, and everything else. A large silver box with lots of internal slots seems very elegant now, doesn't it? The power button is on the wrong side too. This would be a kick-ass Mac Mini but it's a total failure as a Mac Pro.

Still can't turn off the destructive Auto Save "feature". I see no mention of improving the sluggish old HFS+ filesystem codebase. That's not so Maverick.

1. Eddy Ito
      Coat

Re: Revenge of the Mac Cube

I don't know, if done right it could make quite an attractive server cluster if you route the cables right. You know like under the plastic six pack holder.

I wonder if it will have a diet cola version with only four cores per serving.

The real question about the Mac Pro; does it hold a proper pint?

Who thinks the Mac Pro designer will be the next one canned?

Thanks you've been great. I'll be here all week.

1. John Bailey

I think the fanboys have just been Tangoed..

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

For those too young or non-British to remember the Tango adverts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhOeG-uTJxw

2. Darryl

<Ring>

Hello?

Hello. Do you have Maverick in a can?

Yes

You'd better let him out before he suffocates!

<Click>

2. Malcom Ryder 1

Don't forget, turn on the computer, then turn on your array of hardrives, and don't touch the cables, least you cause the computer to loose its connection

3. Jes.e

Very good call!

What about the file system?

Where is our ZFS replacement?!?

7. Gil Grissum
    Pint

Really, Apple?

I don't think Wallstreet agrees with Apple's vision for the new Mac Pro. The stock is down. Apparently, Tim Cook has forgotten the G4 Cube debacle. This is a similar set of interesting mistakes but it's magnified due to the fact that they've taken consumer focused design ideas and applied them to what should have been a professional desktop Mac with INTERNAL STORAGE as well as Thunderbolt 2 ports. I could see them doing this if Thunderbolt had taken off and there was a large number of peripherals in the marketplace, but Thunderbolt hasn't set the world on fire with desire and this "tube" isn't going to change that.

1. ~mico
      Meh

Re: Really, Apple?

I am no longer so sure about what Apple can or can't change in consumer market. They killed Adobe Flash. They killed dumbphones. They messed up with firewire. Oh. I see your point :3

1. Sil

Adobe flash is as dead as youtube is small.

2. corestore

I'm not sure Wall Street gives a damn about the new Mac Pro; that's not where the big money is. Follow the money...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Innovation?

Is it just me, or does much of the new iOS interface look just like windows phone with a different coloured background...

LOL at the "Made in California" motifs being splashed everywhere - why not just add "Unlike that EVIL Samsung" to the monicker?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Innovation?

No, you're not alone in that. Though I wouldn't say it's all Windows Phone. The new home screen looks to me like a combination of the late Symbian style and Android. The photos and especially the subscription screen on the other hand do owe more than a little to Metro. This is fine as Metro's pared back design has a lot going for it in the right environment and with the right controls. The overall effect is much more Nokia than Apple, I predict new I-Phones in different coloured cases.

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

@Charlie, Re: Innovation?

I saw this and thought "Nokia" too. Both from Windows Phone, and the Harmattan/Swipe UI of the N9 and the new Asha phones.

The slide-in control panes, on-off toggles, messaging UI, and the toolbar controls are straight out of Nokia's Harmattan/Belle/Asha UI, which stem from the Harmattan UI of 2011's N9. The rest is remarkably like WebOS. Incidentally, there's a theme here: Peter Skillman, once lead designer of WebOS, now works at Nokia and did the lead design on N9 and the Asha 501.

Icon design is an improvement, but I think the use of layout grids looks neat, but will make the icon shapes too regular and indistinct from each other (think of how tiring it is to read those typefaces that are constructed on rigid gridforms). I also think that Apple have missed a trick by not using key colours to subtly bind core apps together into function groups, as Nokia do (reference: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Library/Asha_UI/#!style/colour.html ).

The problem with this kind of icon design for third-party app devs is that it's deceptively difficult to do. A bit of photoshop monkeying can hide a poorly drawn design with surface treatment and patterning, but a flat, typographical UI exposes bad draughtsmanship mercilessly. Windows Phone suffers from this, and now Apple are putting their devs in the same boat. I foresee an uptick in sales of Adobe Illustrator... ;)

Also, looking at the icons in this UI particularly, I suspect Jonathan Ive may have some level of colour-blindnes - like his other work, it uses "colour" as a decorative element (and it works well in the selected icon highlight), but there appears to be little thought given to colour harmony: the icon colours are bright, but they clash with each other. On his hardware designs, there was only ever one bright accent colour, and I think he should have stuck to this for the icon sets.

So, who else contributed? Well, I think they lifted the most of the new phone UI from Microsoft, the task-switch UI from WebOS, and the use of a single UI "mood" colour (and drawing it from the wallpaper image) is from Jolla's "Sailfish" OS. I don't see much Android in there, tbh: what there is that's similar is just stuff that was lifted by both Apple and Google from WebOS. Imitation, flattery, etc.

Oh, and the use of Helvetica Light for black-on-bright text is a usability mistake. It looks "clean and sharp" if you've 20/20 vision, but if you don't, or if you suffer from any degree of astigmatism, the legibility degrades badly due to halation (glowing) of the surrounding white areas obscuring the letter strokes. Windows Phone does use thin type, but predominantly as light-on-dark, where halation "thickens" the strokes, improving legibility. (An example of this phenomenon, known since the late 1950s: UK road signage uses a heavier weight of type for white-backed signage than for the green or blue signs to reduce this effect).

Tab UI for Safari is nice, and as far as I can see is the only new bit of UI in the whole mashup. However, at least the iPhone's UI matches the device now.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: @Charlie, Innovation?

@Kristian - thanks very much for the additional background information. I haven't looked at the new stuff in any detail but from my first impressions and what you're saying, it sounds like there is a deliberate element of fashion being introduced into the UI - you can imagine cases and themes automatically adjusting. A usability nightmare but I can see the fashionistas lapping it up.

2. Jes.e

Re: @Charlie, Innovation?

"Tab UI for Safari is nice, and as far as I can see is the only new bit of UI in the whole mashup."

Actually no.

The tabs are directly from the Chrome browser on Android..

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Trollface

At last, they've fixed the crappy contrast by making the background white.

3. Sil

The new emphasis on typography and less cluttered screens sure do remind of Windows Phone.

What's interesting is the use of opacity, something that has been almost phased out from Windows.

I Wonder if it will have any impact on battery life.

4. Bod

I think Microsoft and Nokia lawyers will be getting ready on this one. They need to get patents out though on what they've already produced, but I'd assume Apple have already got them having just copied it all and will proceed to sue MS, Nokia et al as usual.

Manufacturers with square corners need to be prepared too ;)

"LOL at the "Made in California" motifs being splashed everywhere - why not just add "Unlike that EVIL Samsung" to the monicker?"

Suppose it's better than "Made in California so we can stop getting pestered about all that Chinese slave labour and death alegations"

The pride of it being made in California isn't in any way the primary reason for them doing it.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But the annoying thing is it's what Windows Phone should have been

Windows Phone is just ugly. To me at least. Black screen and solid black rectangles, all the same colour. It's like an experiment gone a bit too far, or maybe a really austere skin.

And seriously, Samsung need to get some better designers. I know they have them, I have some awesome live wallpapers designed by them on my Nexus 4.

9. Piloti
    Thumb Down

Radio…

So, Apples version of radio no Radio Four then?

Not much of a radio service if you can't get actually radio stations,'eh.

10. Paddy
    Childcatcher

It's Apple

Being forced to buy new kit to expand the new Pro should be expected. It is a fashion statement, you should expect them to pressure you to dump last seasons kit because it doesn't look fashionable - not because it isn't serviceable.

It may not be green, but its how they earn their greenbacks.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: It's Apple

These days, you do NOT need to upgrade your PC every year. A beasty 12-core machine is going to be quite relevant for several years.

11. ChrisB 2

Agreed

Far more likely that the markets reacted to the lack of announcements on new iDevice and other consumer hardware.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Agreed

>Far more likely that the markets reacted to the lack of announcements on new iDevice and other consumer hardware.

Really? Even though Tim Cook had said well advance that there wouldn't be any new iDevice hardware?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Agreed

Sadly, yes. Wall Street , much like fandroids, demands gimmicks.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like