back to article YES, Xbox One DOES need internet, DOES restrict game trading

Microsoft has finally confirmed that Xbox fans' worst fears are at least partially true: Although the new Xbox One gaming console won't need an always-on internet connection, that connection had better be on pretty often or you can forget about gaming. And don't assume you'll be able to sell or trade your old games, either. " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Game value

Decent campaign you want to play again.

Make us want to play it again.

Make any multiplayers addictive and FUN

So far longest SP I have is over 120 hours for £20

MP over 800 hours for £38 + all DLC + new controller

Even a fun game may get 2 SPs and my sons may have a go.

1. shawnfromnh
            Thumb Up

Re: Microsoft: "We're always listening to our customers"

Absolutely right. I just found my old copy of the original Diablo the other day and though I played the crap out of that game long ago I installed it and it's almost fresh again. I also don't need an internet connection or to register it online since I own it and installing a game and playing it less than 2 minutes without some stupid please register popup made me realize how good getting a new game used to be and why I rarely buy games now.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Establish big player that ended both their gaming generations firmly in last place.

yes consumers have spoken. The Xbox userbase is the smalled of all the consoles, as 50% of it's console purchases are replacements...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"The Xbox userbase is the smalled of all the consoles"

So why do Xbox releases almost always outsell PS3 ones?

2. Paul Anderson
          Meh

Nice to hear an intelligently expressed view JDX.

Personally I think that sale of new games is affected by availability of trade-in options. I usually buy 2nd hand, but sometimes new if it's a game that I want. The thing is, I wouldn't have bought some of those games new if I knew that I wouldn't be able to claw some of my cash back by selling on. So ultimately how much does the publisher benefit from stopping me selling my games ?

XBox / PS market share is still a big factor. If PS4 doesn't allow resale blocking it will likely gain some market share from XBox One as 2nd hand gamers switch. If MS stick to their guns but perceive this threat too they will likely pressure publishers to allow resale as, after all, MS still have to licence the games, right ?

Some good news here is that EA actually stopped their 'online code' requirement for multiplayer in games bought 2nd hand, so maybe they will allow resale and others too.

3. Steve Brooks

Ah yes more fool you then, without the cheap secondhand game market there won't be platinum games editions, who did you think they were competing against? They sell the game for $109.95 until enough people have got tired of playing them and traded them in that the market for new copies tanks, then they release platinum editions at the same price of second hand games to keep the money rolling to them instead of the second hand game shops.

If they can kill the second hand game market they will never need to release cheap platinum edition copies to compete, they will just sell the games at $109.95 until the market is saturated and sales stop, then release the next piece of mindless entertainement at $109.95 etc etc. Gamers will either have to pay the $109.95 or simply never play the game.

4. h3

I don't buy used games either.

The platinum series and equivalents don't seem to be properly stocked at retail.

These consoles are not going to be sold at a loss. The stuff in them is not that expensive at all.

It would be interesting if MS released this at £150 though that would start to bleed Sony.

Cannot imagine it costs much more than that to make.

1. Matthew 25

"We're always listening to our customers"... And if we don't here from them we cut them off

1. Chika
        Trollface

"We're always listening to our customers"

Yes, we are. We like a good laugh!

1. Robert E A Harvey

To be fair, it must be monotomous, when 80% of what you here is someone saying "jesus christ on a bike, what is it doing now?

2. Green Nigel
      Big Brother

Listen, extend, embrace, extinguish!

XBox One or 101?

3. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Where is #Anonymous when you need them....

Playing on their Xboxes ironically....

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Xbox One is basically catching up with PS3's Blu-Ray and TV features, with added DRM sauce.

Nothing to see here.

1. TheVogon
        Mushroom

Yes - dont forget we can thank Sony for Cinavia - and for installing anti-copy root kits on 70 million PCs...

5. Triggerfish

Listening is different from caring about what they say.

6. TheOtherHobbes
      Big Brother

And watching them with the webcam too.

7. intrigid

“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the fuck you were gonna do anyway.” – Robert Downey Jr.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Welp

Guess I'll just stick with my Atari VGS/2600 for another cycle.

1. Steven Roper
      Thumb Up

Re: Welp

Those old 8-bit games are a fuck sight more fun to play than the 3D eye-candy shite that passes for video games these days anyway!

Case in point: I was playing Bubble Bobble on an Amiga emulator with my mate a few weeks ago, and I'd forgotten how much fun it was. There's something "delicious" about all those 16-colour cartoon candies that modern realistic games can't match. The gameplay is focused on fun rather than immersion, and I didn't realise how much I'd missed that kind of gameplay until we sat down and whiled away a few evenings with it!

1. Muscleguy
        Thumb Up

My wife has found an emulator for old style text adventures and installed it on her newish Windoze 8 laptop. Not what Microsoft had in mind for such machines and systems, not at all.

2. wowfood

I wrote a report at uni on the quality of graphcis vs gameplay. The general thesis of it was along the following lines.

Year 0, 8 bit games had extremely limited graphics and sound capabilities, the only way to sell a game was to focus almost entirely on the gameplay aspect. Some of the best of this genre were the text based games as they had no graphical foucs.

Year 1. Poor quality graphics and audio focus is still on gmeplay over graphics.

*fast forward*

Modern games (PS generation) graphics are now a key score on reviews matching gameplay. The developers started to focus on graphics more, but there was still a rather low ceiling on what could be done, so this was probably a fairly golden transition phase. Good graphics and a focus on gameplay.

PS2 generation, the graphical roof was raised and gameplay was focused on less and less, graphics continued to get more and more focus in reviews.

PS3 generation, pretty much no ceiling anymore, and a flood of FPS clones since the gameplay already exists without any additional effort.

There are of course games out there which have a focus on graphics and gameplay. But more often than not the gameplay is tacked on to make use of graphics and physics features, rather than graphics and physics features being designed to make the gameplay stand out.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Why have one or the other. The Uncharted series of games have them all. Amazing graphics, great gameplay (online and offline), and a hollywood blockbuster script with top notch dialog.

No games come close to the production values on these.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Welp AC19:05

Actually they now have been exceeded - by Naughty Dog

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Steven Roper

"There's something "delicious" about all those 16-colour cartoon candies"

I agree, at 16 everything is delicious!

I'll get my coat..

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @Steven Roper

I'd get it quick if I were you, the police are already on their way.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A mere 16 colours? Sure you weren't playing an Atari ST?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My younger brother (by 33 years) laughed at me for bring the original pacman over to play. He soon found out it wasn't as easy as he thought. Would love to load up donkey kong, space invaders and defender for him. Nothing better than showing him how badly he is at a game after he pulls the poor-winner bit with the slightly younger sister with street fighter. At least she'll light saber his character if he jerks with her on the lego star wars games.

I really wish a lot of the newer games would either have simpler rules or better stories to justify all the game playing to learn every nuance.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another great micro$oft design decision

If Sony aren't stupid, they have this in the bag.

Problem is, the track record of Sony suggests .....

1. SteveCarr
      Terminator

Re: Another great micro$oft design decision

Given Sony's record on DRM, don't hold your breath.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Want to expand on this? I don't recall any anti consumer actions by Sony. They just make a great console with great games. My PS3 has been my best tech purchase ever. I don't care how much Microsoft shot themselves on the foot. PS4 is a day one purchase for me because every other PlayStation has delivered the goods ( despite Microsoft's attempts too convince people otherwise).

What's really funny is Microsoft fanboys who gave Microsoft a foot in the door must now be feeling rather silly that they are taking advantage of that.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Down

" I don't recall any anti consumer actions by Sony."

You mean other than introducing a rootkit to 5.7 million customers PCs without their consent or knowledge?

You mean other than ripping off the copyright and licence of someone else's software in order to create the rootkit that they tried to justify as copyright protection when they installed it on those customers PCs without their consent or knowledge?

You mean other than lying to their customers through their teeth at every possible turn, and inventing new sets of lies when they were caught?

You mean other than letting hackers run riot over the PSN and then taking a week to bother telling 77 million customers that their personal data had been compromised, possibly including their credit card details?

You mean other than criminal negligence with regard to the hack and their complete and utter failure to maintain something vaguely resembling what is expected of PCI-DSS compliant merchants with regard to network security (unpatched servers, questionable firewalling decisions)?

You mean other than the music division bribing DJs to give their label artists more airplay?

You mean other than INVENTING a film critic to give their films good reviews?

No I don't recall any anti-consumer actions by Sony either.

1. Captain Obvious
            Unhappy

Missed one. Sony no longer permitting Linux to run on the PS/3 :(

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Missed another - Sony were responsible for Cinavia infections of Blu Ray players too...

2. Charles 9

Given a recent patent application (for discs with NFC chippery built in), I would say Sony will go one better and come up with a "use once only" disc that doesn't even require an Internet connection. Even if you have no Internet at all, once you use the disc, the NFC chip on the disc (which will likely contain a crypto key or the like) will prevent it being used anymore.

3. Daniel B.
      Happy

But they won't do the MS thing.

They pretty much axed the FUD on the "we'll tie in PS4 disks to one console" during the PS4 unveiling. Similar rumors were put out for PS2 and PS3, and both times they were disproven as well. While they did act as true asshats with the whole OtherOS issue, they haven't gone on full evil as their stupid music arm (the rootkit fiasco) or as MS is now doing with the XboxOne.

And with the WiiU also lacking this stupidity, they even have competition on the "we let you play second hand games" camp.

3. solidsoup
    Coat

Thank you, Microsoft, for making this an easy choice. Now I want to see what Sony offers. If PS4 can play used games offline, then that's my next console. If not, I'm done with console gaming.

* mine's with Eadon's watch in the pocket - even a broken watch is right twice a day

1. Dazed and Confused
      Joke

Re: Eadon's watch

> even a broken watch is right twice a day

I'm sure Eadon has a watch which reports seconds since epoch, so can only be right once.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

You've said exactly what was in my brain there. I suspect I'll be carrying on with my PC rather than a new console any time soon.

3. VinceH

Optional

"Thank you, Microsoft, for making this an easy choice. Now I want to see what Sony offers. If PS4 can play used games offline, then that's my next console."

Nah - with what I've read about the options for playing older games on the PS4, I think I'll stick with my PS3.

Even when the supply of new games runs dry, there will still be plenty of old ones available second hand - and, TBH, although I used to play quite a lot, these days I switch on infrequently enough that my existing collection of games (most of which I haven't even started playing) will probably last for the rest of my life anyway, so even the second hand market is largely irrelevant.

So, it looks as though both Microsoft and Sony have helped save me some money. Nice one, guys.

4. Mad Hacker
      Mushroom

Amen

I've been a hardcore console gamer since the Atari 2600. Looks like once the next gen consoles ship I will no longer be a console gamer.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Surreal and comical.

The Xbox One seems so horrible that it's extremely funny that it actually exists! It's a practical joke on consumers of such a grand scale! Can people wish hardware into Phantomware?

1. A J

Re: Surreal and comical.

Indeed, and MS have taken their patented concept of f***ing their own customers to new and stratospheric heights!

5. ACx

And is in all likely hood connected straight to the NSA, in case your gaming scores make you a terrorist.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Don't be silly. It's your in-game communications they'll be after.

2. JDX Gold badge

Seriously, how can you see to type with so much tinfoil wrapped around your head?

1. Greg J Preece

How are you white-knighting for this console so hard that you completely failed to register an obvious joke?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Happy

white-knighting... LOL.

6. henrydddd

From the sounds of it, Microsoft's Xbox isn't the product that they are selling, their customers are.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not only deny it Internet access

I'd go as far as to deny it electricity access.

1. Adam 1

Re: Not only deny it Internet access

I'd go as far as denying it shelf space.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like