Feeds

back to article Microsoft reveals Xbox One, the console that can read your heartbeat

Microsoft has shown off its next-generation gaming console, the Xbox One, with an upgraded Kinect and voice-recognition system, Skype integration, seamless switching between viewing modes, and a massive ramp-up in server support for the Live online community. Xbox One One console to rule them all "We've designed an all-in-one …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Re: Thats all we need

>More losers "pwning" people. FYI, nobody cares about you playing your game.

So you missed the news story this week about Nintendo trying to reclaim users' 'walk through' videos as a revenue stream? Do try and pay attention!

A-freakin-men. Hey remember when gaming was about, I dunno, playing games? Seems like every half-wit with a console thinks they should post endless streams of stupid videos of them "gaming" on YouTube. Or worse, trying to hamfistedly make a "gaming show" (just take a look at Justin.TV or ustream and see how many of these cretins exist).

Bronze badge
Happy

What, you people don't like "gamer" videos :-). My clan video might change your mind, any of you l33t peeps ready for a 1v1 in solitaire! Bring it BITCHES !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iYJzlE7rNM

First time I've ever said this, but this better be a Rickroll ...

Rickroll? Not a chance.

They've given us up and let us down. They've run around and deserted us. They've made us cry, they've said goodbye. They've told lies and hurt us.

Bronze badge

I guess only Microsoft

could add more servers to increase response times. Their systems must run really really fast to need higher response times.

Silver badge

Bah

I honestly couldn't give a flying rat about kinect or any of the kinect related features. I don't live in a large house, I don't have 6ft of space free to use kinect so why would I want it? (I don't even have 2ft of space to use kinect but shh)

As for the consoles look, it looks like an htpc with an xbox logo on it, which is basically what it is.

Hardware wise, still no in detail specs, but going from what devs have said elsewhere, not as powerful as PS4 although probably not by much.

Really I'm not overly impressed, but what it all comes down to is first party where, again, I prefer the Playstation. Xbox has some nice first party titles too, but there are only so many scifi fps I can play.

And in place of EADON

This console brings nothing new to the table, and if anything tries to hide the fact that it lacks anything new by drowning out the terrible console with added microsoft bloat. MS FAIL

Silver badge

Re: Bah

>This console brings nothing new to the table, and if anything tries to hide the fact that it lacks anything new by drowning out the terrible console with added microsoft bloat.

One man's bloat is another man's features. Certainly the PS3 was always a more useful general purpose machine than the Xbox 360 (the Sony gave you Blu-Ray, fairly quiet operation, WiFi for media playback, iPlayer etc) so MS would be daft not to move in that direction.

For me, the striking thing is how similar Sony and MS's next gen offerings are- so I suspect it will be the details of implementation and polish that clinch it. Either that, or people are beyond caring which platform they adopt, and the 3rd party studios will benefit.

Anonymous Coward

There once was a wowfood who lived in a shoe....

More than 6ft between sofa and screen in the living room hardly qualifies as a large house. Most bedrooms too, if you have some reason to play games in private or your mum won't let you into the living room.

TEENAGE FANBOY FAIL.

Silver badge

Actually mid 20s.

And try living in an apartment in a holiday town. If you can aford anything bigger than a bedroom and a kitchen on a decent salary for this area then you're lucky. London rates at westcountry wages.

Anonymous Coward

Kinect 2 has wide angle sensor, by the look of it should be fine for most players at 4ft away. Wide angle also means there no tilt motor fun any more. Kinect for Windows 1 actually tracks as close to 18" for hand gestures in desktop type applications so software will be fairly mature. Don't think exact specs are available yet for Kinect 2 but looks good so far.

In other words should work in all but the tiniest dwellings.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge
Happy

Re: XBox One == Creepy Snooping Apparatus

They already know all that stuff. If you're streaming video, playing with an online subscription service or game, buying packaged videos or games online and paying with plastic or PayPal you're a known quantity already. I'm not sure what MS would hope to gain by 'watching everything I do in my living room' wherever I'm watching TV, playing a game or surfing the web I don't do anything 'watchable'. Occasionally I may lean over to fart or pause everything to answer my phone but in reality nothing marketable happens in the average persons living room.

Keep your tinfoil hat handy but I really don't see a cause for concern in this case.

Silver badge

>Unlike Google, MS have given user's data to the FBI/government without a warrant

From the FBI's persepctive, people who are sat at home playing video games with their mates are not of interest. People out on the street bombing, murdering and a smuggling... that's a different matter.

"From the FBI's persepctive, people who are sat at home playing video games with their mates are not of interest."

Unless the game or movie they're watching is pirated.

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

Like your CC company? They know more about you than any single organization out there. Are you scared of the too?

Silver badge

>You give a fascinating variant on the nothing to hide, nothing to fear argument.

When I do get together with my friends to discuss the overthrow of Western civilisation, I prefer to meet in either a tent in the Sahara, or in a hollowed-out volcano - not in Ed's front room halfway through a Halo session.

Silver badge

>However Credit cards don't (yet) come weaponised with surveillance sensors such as cameras, microphones et cetera

Okay, Dougal, how do you 'weaponise' something with a sensor exactly?

Silver badge

I would worry that someone has installed video cameras and microphones in the beer garden shrubbery to catch people discussing all manner of naughtiness - legal, finacial, sexual- but I don't.

Anonymous Coward

You are aware the the 9/11 bombers did lots of practice on /MS flight simulator aren't you?

Maybe seeing if a "terrorist" is sitting at home playing games involving blowing things up in "real" locations is actually the sort of thing the FBI actually want to know.

Anonymous Coward

"Like your CC company? They know more about you than any single organization out there."

That's another reason I don't have a CC anymore and haven't for the last 12 years. Anything they have on me, other than my credit history at the time, is all out of date!

Silver badge

I can imagine army recruitment ads going out to all the kids playing COD. Y'know since playing videogames makes you so good at handling guns IRL.

I wouldn't have the kinect (and it's sensors) plugged in though if I ever buy the console (if that's an option... that better be an option) I simply do not have the space to use a kinect controller, nor do I have the will to use one after my last few attempts, even with 10x the accuracy, 10x nothing is nothing. Also I imagine this heart-beat sensor is about as accurate as the mobile phone ones where you cover the lense with your thumb.

Honestly this all comes down to first party titles for me, and sony have more first party titles I prefer.

Facepalm

Will someone please explain to Eadon that Enemy Of The State wasn't a documentary?

Bronze badge
FAIL

Everyone's favourite Google fanboy comes out to play. Dear oh dear.

Now I love a conspiracy theory as much as the next man, but this is stretching it. Let's look with slightly more impartial eyes.

Well, Eadon is forever calling MS idiots, releasing stuff no-one wants, and now he insists that they're clever enough to pull a James Bond style conspiracy piece together. Really, he can't have it both ways. For a successful conspiracy, you need a small group of folk with a smattering of intelligence. Microsoft are not exactly small and the bigger the bureaucracy, the more unlikely a conspiracy is to succeed. Assuming that you're right that MS are releasing stuff that's rubbish/no-one wants, then how can they be smart enough to even think of such a clever ploy?

Google on the other hand fit the bill far better:

- Gather information and sell to the highest bidder = Check

- Proclaim 'do no evil' while sniffing data from a vast array of sources and using it for their own gain = Check

- Release devices (or at least an OS for the purpose - even smarter - let others build the devices!) that are designed to be always on and disseminate information = check

- Do all this while having a massively successful PR/Marketing approach that makes them look happy-clappy and fashionable (only Apple are better at this) = check

Google are a smart company that can get away with an awful lot. A better conspiracy candidate than tired old Balmer's boys.

And as for Trojan horse in your home - well, Google Glass goes far better than that. A spy device that goes everywhere and sees everything. Eadon, you're looking THE WRONG WAY!

But do I believe Google are really like that? No, not in a 'do evil' kind of way, and I don't believe Microsoft are either. Only a paranoid mind with a fanatical dislike of anything (whether good or bad) with a particular label on it would have such delusions.

Why does Eadon get down-voted for this.

I think it's actually a very good point. I'm certainly no conspiracy theorist - I go for cock-up before conspiracy. But say the feds want to investigate someone then being able to access a camera and microphone in their front room is going to be very tempting. And let's face it - from Geoge W's time when he stopped the breakup of MS they owe the US govt big time.

I'm not too bothered in the UK where plod tends to be fairly reasonable - but in the US - where they can lock people up for twenty five years for stealing a pair of socks, have Guantanamo, frame people and lock them in solitary for forty years - it might be worth bearing in mind.

Anonymous Coward

It's not on wheels driving around snooping your email like Google though.

Who can you trust? Google? nope, Apple? nope, Microsoft? nope.

Linux is one way to get out of this, but where's the mass market Linux games console of a similar power to the XBox and Playstation? there isn't one. There are lower power cheaper units, but they don't play all the big titles.

Anonymous Coward

Maybe like Richard Stallman you have something to hide Eadon?

Anonymous Coward

Aw bless, a few more months and Eadon will be rocking in his chair, occasionaly getting up to lick a window. His paranoia and MS hatred is gone form the quirky and a little humorous to the stage where I think may be asking MS (as they apparently know more about him than Google) for his home address, so we can send the nice men in white coats around; that way he can have a lovely room with padded walls to prevent MS and the FBI hurting him any more.

Not a docmentary, but maybe a howto...

Just wait till someone starts jailbreaking them.There will be some perv sticking his program on the net which looks like a patch to make a game run for free, but instead gives him access to the camera.

Silver badge

@GitMeMyShootinIrons

How about this then, it isn't actually Microsoft who have devised this spy gear but a small crack team of CIA agents who have infiltrated the Microsoft infostructure with the intention of implementing spy gear (kinect) and back doors (microsoft firewall) into all microsoft products so that they can have eyes and ears everywhere.

No longer is is microsoft, but a small cell inside of them, Conspiracy theory saved.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

"Do you want this Trojan Horse equipment in your house, spying on you and yours?"

I guess you would prefer the Ubuntu version that tells you they are selling your data?

Microsoft has a pretty comprehensive privacy policy - and unlike Sony they don't run their systems on Linux, your your data is less likely to be hacked and pasted across the Internet...

MJI
Silver badge

Re: Linux

Does BSD count? If so there are BSD consoles around.

One variant is Cell OS

Why are they reading emails? As the article explains, it's not to check for spam.

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Skype-with-care-Microsoft-is-reading-everything-you-write-1862870.html

Silver badge

Isn't Valve working on a Linux-powered Steam box?

Anonymous Coward

I would really like the ability to have any thread created by Eadon automatically collapsed and hidden with no indication it ever existed. People are far too easily trolled.

Silver badge
Linux

> I'm certainly no conspiracy theorist - I go for cock-up before conspiracy. But say the feds want to investigate someone then being able to access a camera and microphone in their front room is going to be very tempting.

This isn't even a particularly new idea. This sort of thing was a staple of a show from the 80s.

We are now living 10 minutes into the future.

Someone WILL hack into your urinal cam.

Silver badge
FAIL

@eadon: Re: XBox One == Creepy Snooping Apparatus

"@Dave 126 "I also unplug the ethernet cable from the back of my xbox when I'm not playing it."

Huh? When did "Dave 126" write that?

Anonymous Coward

Eadon

Have you heard the story of the boy who cried wolf?

You annoyed so many people to such a massive degree with your bigoted caps rants, that now no-one will take any notice of what you have to say - even if it truly has some merit.

How do you feel about that?

Maybe you should consider creating a new Reg persona for actual serious comments that people might find insightful or useful.

As long as you're not derailing every bloody story with off-topicness I would actually be sad to see the Eadon character disappear altogether, though...

What am I saying? I... [cuts off abruptly]

[muffled sounds of other commentards punching, kicking, trampling, etc]

It's £399

Within 3 hours of the announcement I had SPAM in my inbox trying to sell me one for £399.

Bronze badge
Stop

Re: It's £399

Why are kids these days such cynics?

Just the other day I received a lovely email from a Nigerian banker. I can't share too much right now, but lets just say I think I can find the £399 launch price.

Joke

Banker? Pah! I'm helping out the *Prince* of Nigeria! Already paid the admin fee, just waiting for those millions to come through...

Anonymous Coward

Bankers? Princes? I might help this little old lady from East Africa who's husband died with exactly $1,500,000 in the bank and she can't release it unless I lend her $2000, she's promised a 10% cut after it's released!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.