back to article Sun lets loose with THREE record eruptions in 24 hours

The Sun looks like it's ramping up to its expected solar maximum this year, after it let loose three X-class solar flares in just 24 hours. Our solar system's parent star lashed out late Sunday night and again on Monday with two coronal mass ejections (CMEs) from its upper left side. The Sun followed that up on Monday night …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Daniel B.
      Coat

Re: Reg: Suggestion - use "The Sun" or "Sol"

So, I see I wasn't the only one that read "Sun" and assumed Sun Microsystems. Sadly gone down the Oracle's belly, though if you watch closely, there's a Sun/Oracle logo to be seen in Iron Man 3...

1. Fab De Marco

Upper left side?

I'm sure one of you clever people can correct me, but where is the upper left side of the Sun???

My last Science lesson was some time ago, back then the Sun was a spherical mass not a 2 dimensional circle in the sky.

Draw a circle on the ground and I will show you its upper left side. Hand me a football and its upper left side will depend on which way round it was facing.

1. NomNomNom

Re: Upper left side?

go up in space, turn left at the moon and the top left side of the Sun is just past the first turning on the right

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Joke

Re: Upper left side?

But go during the night otherwise you'll be blinded looking at it.

2. tweell

BOFH excuse of the day

I'll have to add coronal mass ejection to the excuse clipboard. It's like sunspots, only sciencier.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. Carrington event

I seem to recall reading that this event was due to a very rare configuration of multiple large sunspots which generated a beta-gamma-delta field that built up a massive amount of energy over several days.

This is a bit like overcharging a capacitor, eventually the dielectric gives way and explodes dumping all the energy into a tiny spot in a millisecond.

It is thankfully unusual, the last event was in 1991 and not Earth directed.

AC/DC 6EQUJ()*U"$<NO CARRIER>

4. jonfr
    Mushroom

No record

This is no record, the internet still works along with mobile phones and the works.

5. BigFire

Inconstant Moon

Go and read the short story Inconstant Moon by Larry Niven. It's the end of the world.

1. Denarius
      Happy

Re: Inconstant Moon

cant be, California survived. Unless the follow up story had the Big One strike as the steam cooled.

6. harmjschoonhoven
    Unhappy

Re: youtube ywfewbzmvrw

No in-picture timestamps (with eight minute ambiguity of course).

7. Trevor 3

Daft Question

The CME's were not ejected towards Earth....does that mean not ejected in the direction we are in, or not ejected in the path of where we will be when it gets here?

1. Hubert Thrunge Jr.
      Alert

Re: Daft Question

Not coming this way guv. It won't affect us.

Moving on....

At last scientists are shouting loud enough that it is dear old Sol that controls our planets climate, and is f. all to do with people driving SUV's, burning coal, etc....

Perhaps the "Warmists" will shut up and they can remove all of the tax burden that we're suffering to help stave off climate change. Stop wasting BILLIONS on studies and other rhetoric relating to our "Carbon Footprint", and just get the hell on with life.

The correct action shouldn't be "Stop Climate Change" but "Adapt for Climate Change" because it's going to happen, regardless of whether the Greens get us to return to the Stone Age.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.