back to article Apple asked me for my BANK statements, says outraged reader

Apple is believed to have asked some online shoppers to hand over copies of their driving licence, passport and bank statements to verify their identity. A concerned Reg reader alerted us to Apple's data-slurp requests after she received one herself - and was told by her bank that they had never heard of private companies …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Rukario

Re: Private companies DO do this

@velv > Pubs do it for a pint (<£5), and that's a legal thing (<18).

Pubs don't (normally) take copies/scans of the proof of identity though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Recruitment agencies also ask for scans of passports

... because they need proof you are legally allowed to work in the UK. My employer keeps asking me for the same, but so far I insist on showing them my birth certificate instead (since that is sufficient).

1. Number6

Given that you might not have a passport, showing an alternative is perfectly reasonable. However, they've got a box to tick on a form that asks for a passport scan and won't be able to sleep in bed at night until it's been properly ticked. It's a hard life being a bureaucrat.

However, a UK birth certificate isn't necessarily proof of citizenship. Unlike some countries, we don't automatically grant citizenship to people who are born here, although the exact rules change form time to time. I know someone who was born to a foreign mother who was not married to the British father and so ended up with the mother's citizenship despite being born in a UK hospital and so getting a British birth certificate.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I had thought that if you you were born here with a British father, to a foreign mother then you could choose which nationality you applied for when you reach majority. Some people have dual nationality.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Actually we did confer british citizenship upon those born in this country until about some point in 83/84

After that date you only got british citizenship conferred upon you if both of your parents were british, it which case you got your citizenship rubberstamped. Otherwise you had to apply for it

So there are quite a few people of working age, who may not have a passport, but do have a birth certificate and who had citizenship automatically granted up on them.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I know someone who was born to a foreign mother who was not married to the British father and so ended up with the mother's citizenship despite being born in a UK hospital and so getting a British birth certificate

Meanwhile my younger son was born while I was on a 3 year placement in the US so he has a US birth certificate (large A4 certificate with Calif state emblem and lots of fancy script etc to put my older son's UK "short form" birth certificate to shame!) + then a 2nd certificate from the UK Embassy to confirm he was registered there along with details of myselff, my wife and both our parents along with references to the relevant sections of the UK Nationality Act which gives my son UK citizenship! And, as he was "born in the USA" he is also an American citizen (and as a result probably required to file US tax returns when he turns 18!)

1. EngineersAnon

large A4 certificate with Calif state emblem and lots of fancy script etc to put my older son's UK "short form" birth certificate to shame!

Actually, a US State is much more likely to issue Extracts from Vital Records (birth certificates, marriage licenses, death certificates, etc) on US standard "letter" paper (8.5" x 11" = 216mm x 279mm) than on the ISO standard A4 (210 mm × 297 mm)

*end pedantry*

*at least for now*

4. StooMonster
          Childcatcher

RE: "UK birth certificate isn't necessarily proof of citizenship"

That's right, I have friends who are married where one is American and the other an EU citizen, their children were all born here in UK — and thus have British birth certificates — and grown up and gone to school here but they cannot get British passports.

So the kids have got dual citizenships of their parents homelands, but they always think it's a bit weird (you'd think they were British if you talked to them).

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"but so far I insist on showing them my birth certificate instead (since that is sufficient)."

Birth certificates are not identity documents. Given enough information about you anyone can obtain a copy - and that is the first step for anyone who is in the business of identity fraud.

The fact that birth certificates are used as the basis for a lot of identity documentation shows how much of what you trust is really a house of cards.

2. Fihart

We may not like it but landlords, car hire companies are entrusting items worth many thousands £/$ to you and have better reason to demand ID than a mere retailer of electronic trinkets.

It's also a question of what they do with the information -- IT companies have the means and motivation to abuse that information.

1. NomNomNom

"We may not like it but landlords, car hire companies are entrusting items worth many thousands £/$ to you and have better reason to demand ID than a mere retailer of electronic trinkets.

It's also a question of what they do with the information -- IT companies have the means and motivation to abuse that information."

Sure but car hire companies could drive your information around towns very fast without you even realizing it.

1. JEDIDIAH
          Linux

The real problem here is that a consumer was sent something that looked like a phishing email that then directed them to transfer highly sensitive personal data over an insecure channel. Apple was engaging in something that looks like a scam. They are encouraging people to lower their resistance to some very dangerous data practices.

Landlords and and car rental shops usually ask for these things on paper and/or face to face.

Plus there's the whole CAR or HOUSE versus a cheap gadget thing...

Being put through the wringer makes a bit more sense when $250K or $500K could be on the line.

1. wowfood

I'd hardly call iPhones cheap, but I see where you're coming from.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If I apply for a job, my employer needs to know I'm eligible to work in the UK. A passport is pretty good at demonstrating that. Do Apple need to I'm a UK citizen before they'll sell me an iPad? No.

Should Tesco ask me if my papers are in order before they'll sell be some bananas?

4. Captain Scarlet
      Unhappy

Wow thats a lot of downvotes just to say its not just Apple, most American companies I have used from the UK require a copy of my Passport. This is mainly for renting dedicated servers, but many EU companies also do this.

I hate Apple but as Buzz has said its nothing new or out of the ordinary.

1. Alan Denman

Blank cheque bullion bonus system next?

As the product is so good some people will be happy to send a blank cheque as a thank you.

Obviously the ones who only get 1 cent taken from their account will tell us about their generosity on this matter.

2. Dr_N

Fairly common in France

This is SOP for many smaller French online retailers who lack the muscle/insurance to claw back money on fraudulent sales.

Easiest method to deal with the problem is not to use them.

3. dougal83

Buy a google nexus. Problem solved. Bargain too!

4. RAMChYLD
    Boffin

Apple are not the only ones

I've had a similar request from Crucial (you know, Micron's sales arm) when buying some memory from them for the first time. Come to think of it, Dell did that too the first time I tried to get something from their online store...

No big deal, I just gave them a photo of my driving license, since the driving license holds absolutely no verification value in this country where the Identity card is considered the official proof documentation.

1. Number6

Re: Apple are not the only ones

I wonder what they'd make of my driving licence, given that it's an old non-photo one?

1. Kubla Cant

I too have one of the old A4-sheet driving licences. It's lived in my wallet since 1999, so it's in a pretty ragged state. I ought to charge wear and tear to anyone who asks to see it without good reason. My objective is to avoid the cost / time / hassle of getting a plastic one for as long as possible.

1. Bill Fresher

"It's lived in my wallet since 1999"

"My objective is to avoid the cost / time / hassle of getting a plastic one for as long as possible."

The photo needs to be renewed every ten years so your drivers license is invalid and if you get caught using it you'll get a £1000 fine.

1. Dr_N

The UK driver's licence is still an A4 paper one. The new ones just have a photo ID card associated with it.

Old paper-only licences will become invalid in 2015.

Not much time to get it changed really.

2. JP19

"I wonder what they'd make of my driving licence, given that it's an old non-photo one"

Gees no wonder we have crap with ID cards and national identity registers when we have thinking like this.....

Do you think Dell or Apple are going send someone round to your house to look at you before shipping a laptop or whatever?

2. NomNomNom

I would just send them fake information

5. Dave Perry
    Meh

Proving stuff

I once had to send a copy of my pay slip (front over only - I'd have told them to do one if they asked for the inside) to prove I worked in an education for one of their hundreds of pounds discounts, which I could live with.

The next time I bought something, a couple of years ago, I went through the online HE store using work internet which is hard to get on without being at an approved institution - a stock spec MBP arrived days later without need of further documentation.

6. Kevin Fairhurst

Not just Apple

My wife was ordering a dozen charms online from Thomas Sabo, and they decided that they wanted scans of bank statements, passport etc. When my wife kicked up a stink & said that they had delivered to her before, using the same payment method and delivery address, they relented and sent out the order...

Any company sending out untraceable goods need to be extra cautious against potential fraud, as the card company WILL put a chargeback on them and they will be the ones that lose out, not the end customer, and certainly not the bank. I think the banks need to put some additional measures in place so that the company contacts the bank for proof of address or whatever, and if the bank decide that the address doesn't match, it is the bank that contacts the customer for any proofs. Then and only then does the bank release the funds to the vendor, who sends out the goods.

That won't happen though, because the BUNCH OF BANKERS that run the banks wouldn't make as much money!

1. Rikkeh

Re: Not just Apple

Purchases of assets in a single transaction or linked transactions totally over €15,000 trigger anti-money laundering rules (as you can launder your dirty cash through buying up shiny things and then selling them on eBay etc). Once that happens, you have to check up on who the customer is.

I suspect that someone at apple (and your charm company) has overreacted to the theoretical risk that someone might buy an iPhone every day for a month without the company noticing and decided to go overboard and check *everyone*.

Sadly, whoever has made this decision has calculated that they'll suffer less for inconveniencing everyone and grabbing their personal data unnecessarily than they will in the unlikely event they get done for failing to prevent money laundering.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Not just Apple

Only if you buy €15,000 of stuff and pay cash for it. If you pay by card, cheque or bank transfer, it doesn't trigger the money laundering rules.

2. Zimmer
      Coat

Re: Not just Apple----correction

... surely a Typo ? It's a WUNCH of BANKERS...

1. Nigel 11
        Coat

Re: Not just Apple----correction

and I've recently been seeing a lot of headlines starting BANKS HIT ...

7. nevstah

but...

do they keep this documentation on file forever? is it destroyed properly? do they sell it on to 3rd parties and link it up to other information stored about you?

what if you dont have a passport, or an ID card, or a drivers licence????

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: but...

Then you're like me, and won't be buying that way. I can't anyway … no credit card either. I have a 18+ proof-of-age card, that's it. My bank account relies on a passbook.

My one and only Apple device, a 2008-model MacBook, was bought second hand. So I had none of this nonsense.

As for handing this sort of identity information out … I do hope for consumers' sake they provide the individuals with a GPG or S/MIME key to encrypt it with. I'll bet they don't though!

1. NomNomNom

Re: but...

on the plus side you will have a fighting chance of escaping skynet

8. nowster

Have Apple UK registered this use and storage of personal information with the Information Commissioner?

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Nah

> Have Apple UK registered this use and storage of personal information with the Information Commissioner?How would they know to do that?

It's well known that Apple can't afford lawyers to advise them

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Re: Nah

Apple's EU sales are run out of Cork in Ireland, so registration would be with the Irish Data Protection Commissioner. Link: http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=%2Fdocuments%2Frights%2FRightsHome%2Ehtm&CatID=2&m=r

Sounds like a misapplied process. The transaction value in this story is far too low for this kind of verification to be required, unless the card company thought it was a "suspicious" transaction.

Actually, I just tried to buy a laptop (not from Apple) this morning and had the same thing happen to me... phone call to VISA, and was told there was no reason except that it was unusual activity -- surely if I was buying laptops regularly it would be more unusual...

9. g e
    Holmes

"They've basically turned me into a future Android user"

No shit.

1. Conrad Longmore

Re: "They've basically turned me into a future Android user"

It's not as if Google have access to your personal information. Oh, wait..

2. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: "They've basically turned me into a future Android user"

Because no retailer selling Android phones ever asks for documentation?

10. JaitcH
    WTF?

If a PASSPORT is good enough for a COUNTRY ...

just who the hell do companies like Apple think they are?

Many statements can easily be word processed, especially when pumped out by an on-line banking system. Many people don't have passports and yet more don't have driving licences.

This is yet another form of discrimination targetting well defined areas of the population.

Besides, 'supporting documentation' is easy to manufacture/forge.

CAUTION: Western Union AND Moneygram DEMAND TWO PICTURE IDs in every country they cash out in! (Even when all your documents have been stolen)

1. nevstah

Re: If a PASSPORT is good enough for a COUNTRY ...

its often not good enough for a company!!

i was asked to provide proof of ID by way of utility bill. i didnt have one of these, so offered my passport.

'sorry thats no good, we need a utility bill'

note - thats for proof of ID, not address

1. Number6

Given the trend for on-line billing, it's quite possible to not have a recent utility bill. If they'll accept one you've printed yourself then you can just make one up, which sort of defeats the object of the check in the first place.

1. cosymart
          Meh

I was asked for a utility bill by a car hire firm, I asked them what address they would like me to put on it... Confused the hell out of them :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Many statements can easily be word processed, especially when pumped out by an on-line banking system.

Which is why you read reports of people complaining that someone is asking to see a bank statement as proof of id and not accepting an online banking printout but requiring an "original" from the bank which then turns out to cost £10+ for people with "online-only" accounts.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well of course they would! We don't want just any old riff-raff getting their grubby paws on a piece of iShinyShiny.

Our Cult of Jobs have standards, y'know!

1. John G Imrie

The Jermy Clarkson test.

Travels abroad, check. (must have passport)

Drives a motor vehicle on the public road, check (must have driving licence)

Has bank account, check. (lost money when published bank details)

Pretentious git likely to buy iThing, check.

12. Neil Alexander
    Facepalm

"she emailed over copies of them... and then immediately began panicking"

When people are asked for these kinds of details, why are they not asking why first? Why does common sense never seem to prevail before people act?

1. Andrew Jones 2

Re: "she emailed over copies of them... and then immediately began panicking"

In the same situation I would have emailed my documents - the important part of the email is that the email is being sent to *THE* apple domain and not just any address that has apple in it, Thus I could be 100% certain that at the very least - the email was going to *someone* at Apple.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: "she emailed over copies of them... and then immediately began panicking"

> certain that at the very least - the email was going to *someone* at Apple.

Well, you can be certain that one of the recipients is someone at Apple. Since email is generally not encrypted or secured against any form of interception or copying, your ID details could have been intercepted by anyone at any of the ISPs it crossed, not to mention anyone the anonymous Apple employee forwarded it to, deliberately or accidentally.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like