back to article How smart does your desk phone need to be?

The business IP telephone market has spent more than a decade trying to establish exactly how much intelligence the market wants in its telephones. The customer's answer has almost always been “less than the vendors want to sell us.” Anyone looking for an albino pachyderm can therefore point to the CPUs and APIs baked into IP …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. batfastad

Presence

The phone itself doesn't need to be anything special. Though on a previous project at a small biz I went ahead and got Snom 821s which are pretty great and the larger than normal display meant I could retrieve information from their intranet DB when a call came in and show it on the screen (company name, account status etc). They came in at about £160 which wasn't that much more than many dumber IP phones.

But really the intelligence should be on the server-side and it's how you integrate it into the company. For example at this same site I made a natty little addon for Zimbra (zimlet) to display the output from a web service which took XMPP presence, merged with SIP extension status from Asterisk, allowing users to get a realtime view of who was online or busy. Great for users to use their XMPP presence almost as internal tweets (eg: "boarding the plane, back online at 2:30") and you could filter and scroll through that info from within the e-mail client and on the intranet. Overkill for this particular client but very cool nonetheless.

That's the sort of thing that I'd like to see more of in larger companies but they tend to just buy expensive unified comms sytems from big vendors. You don't need clever phones but clever integration. That's where the big vendors make their money as integrating and aggregating data from open source communications software is still fairly painful.

1. Christian Berger

Re: Presence

Well snom does a particularly good job at integration. They have open interfaces which are deliberately simple. And they try to speak common protocols.

For example they sell a "box with buttons" that's designed to work together with their VoIP phones, however it's an independent device which can also do HTTP requests when you push a button. That's just simple and elegant.

I think those are the challenges we face, we need to develop a bunch of simple and obvious protocols for easier integration. And of course Video Telephony. :)

2. John Tserkezis

I'm a bit torn here.

I have two gripes with IP phones, firstly cost, it might not seem like a big deal when you're dealing with enterprise, but when the Australian NBN finally kicks in and your only option for telephony is IP, it becomes a big deal.

Secondly, features. Smart cell phones have had this cornered from the start, but why make it so hard to manage something like contact lists with desk phones? Is it REALLY that hard?

But this is the bit that tears me, I really do want a functional desk phone, I prefer that, and it works better for me.

However, an option with the NBN will be a box that plugs into the network and supplies IP functionality, with a regular POTS interface at the other end for compatibility with existing setups.

And that's exactly what I think will overwhelmingly happen. People will get phones they really want: What they have now, which is the absolute minimim of processing power. Myself included.

1. Christian Berger

Re: I'm a bit torn here.

Well with most VoIP phones you can use a LDAP server which is perfectly fine for companies. I'm sure decent products will also allow you to use simpler ways, like text files and such. There are now even Android desk phones... if you prefer that.

NGNs essentially try to give you all the disadvantages of a dedicated phone line with the disadvantages of a VoIP service. I don't quite see why I should spend money on that. I can get VoIP telephony from another company which then also means that I can keep my number no matter where I am in the world.

3. Mike 16

Chat, Power, and frog-boiling

To the chap who extolls chat for its anti-weasel properties (logging what was said by whom), I note that a former coworker (still at the weasel-farm I left years ago) has informed me that they are now forbidden to log chats. Not surprising from a company that shunned email for coordination in favor of flaky wikis and meetings that reliably started 18 minutes after the scheduled time and consisted mainly of "Oh, did you expect me to do that? I'll get to it this week." repeated weekly.

The pictured dock gave me shudders as it seems that all device manufacturers have taken up the position that Toshiba took in 2000, when I was shocked to be told, after the battery in a month-old laptop had failed, that it was my fault, as I was not meant to leave it on the adapter/charger once it was fully charged, and by doing so I had killed the battery. SInce I was familiar with IBM and Apple laptops that could be "docked" for days and still retain full capacity, I thought Toshiba were clueless feebs, but my most recent Apple laptop has the same sort of warning. I'd hate to think how often one would need to replace the battery in a docked iPad.

Voice Quality? I pine for that days that a phone, while far from perfect, did not regularly sound as if the call to Dave in Accounting was via satellite to Ulan Bator. I wonder how bad voice quality will get once all us old farts who can remember those days have gone permanently on-hook.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HMRC - what not to do

If you want a case study on how to select an utterly crap handset and couple with stupidly burdensome policies then go visit HMRC.

Some examples:

- crap earpiece speaker - default volume so low it can only be heard in a quiet office; turn volume up and speaker starts clipping and caller still unintelligible

- crap earpiece speaker design - pressing it more firmly against your ear doesn't actually cut out any more background noise

- personal 03000 xxxxxx number requires logon - so visitors can't just sit at a spare desk and make a call - you have to lend them your phone and go sit at the spare desk yourself while they make the call

- if you go to a different building and need to make a call (e.g. duck-out of a meeting to check some facts) you can't just pick-up the phone at the nearest free desk. Instead you have to log on first. (Which then means that your own desk phone is logged off so you have to log on *again* when you get back)

- cord too short - so can't hold the phone by hunching-up your shoulder while writing notes - the springy cord pulls (launches!) it away

- large LCD display but we still need number code sequences to get anything done

- listening to voicemail is not a 'one button press' activity

Did I mention that it is utterly crap? Did I mention that the launch publicity claimed it would be 'better'? Did I mention that complaints are ignored as it is too late to do anything?

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

I suppose they could be worse.

Remember the ones in "Brazil," with your own personal switchboard and patch cords?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Smart phones for dumb users?

We have about 50 employees at 4 sites, and use Shoretel phones and Software.

And despite the fact that every single desktop runs the Shoreware client, so that you can call someone by typing their name into the client, HR still insists on e-mailing out a phone list every month that people print off and look-up the numbers whenever they want to call someone. Cut and paste a number from an e-mail into the ShoreTel client (or even right-click and dial if you have the right addons)? That's too much like magic for my users!

Managing voicemail is much easier when you can see the list of 4 or 5 calls in your voice-mailbox, with the CallerID displayed, so that you can listen to the 3rd call in the list, without having to wade through the previous 2. But no, people still insist on dialling into their voicemail, and listening to the messages one by one.

A few people have picked up on the fact that they can "pull" their own extension to another handset, if they need to work at another office.

Most of these advantages come from smart infrastructure, rather than smart handsets, but it doesn't matter where the smarts are, if people won't take advantage of it.

7. Refugee from Windows
    Thumb Down

Not clever enough

Even as office phones go, the IP ones we were "upgraded" to a couple of year ago were less than appreciated. One missing feature is an adjustment for mic level, as it's always appallingly quiet and the noise cancelling facility does a good job in blocking everything else. Well placed piece of PVC tape solves this to a point.

Not helping either is the connection to the Cloudy CRM that fails to provide any call information at all, or kills the whole screenful of information you've typed in during a call. We hope you're reading this S****force !

I'd prefer a Heil Audio headset, so I could actually hear some callers, and a decent level of DSP (user adjustable) would help.

Go get me two cans and a bit of string.

8. Greg D
    FAIL

desk.... phone....?

Havent used one for some time now - Cisco IP Communicator has killed them in my office, along with USB headsets.

Doubly awesome is that you can make calls anywhere as long as you have internet.

9. Panicnow
    FAIL

Android on the Desk

We put the VOIP service straght to the employees mobile when they are in the office.

Linphone or the native voip app does fine. Though there is an accasional unacceptable delay!

With £90 androids, phones a 7in tabs, <£100. Why would anyone use anything else!!!!!

1. Greg D

Re: Android on the Desk

Why bother with a secondary device? Unless of course you still have an analogue/PBX/non-IP phone system, you dont need any physical phone, just a laptop and the right software.

Also if you have an occasional unacceptable delay on your IP phone, then your comms engineers are not doing their job properly and probably didnt put any QoS on your voice VLAN (or your LAN is straining under load, which is equally bad).

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IP Phone application

That's the only feature I need, so that I can take calls on the laptop at home and it looks like I'm at my desk.

11. Roland6 Silver badge

Smart but not intelligent!

The Shoretel Dock enhances the telecom's side of the smartphones persona, the question is whether it is as well presented and executed as Ubuntu for Android that took advantage of a smartphone's computer persona.

So the dock needs to be smart in terms of its ability to leverage the value of a desk phone (handset/headset, keypad, location) and so enhance the smartphone experience and smart in the way it harnesses the intelligence contained in the smartphone to enrich the communications experience.

I suspect that a key use case is that the reason the user is at a desk is because they need to use a desk based computer. Hence rather than having the smartphone just littering the desk why not provide a place for it to go and which would increase it's utility.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't really understand all this complaining about IP-phones. At work I set up a simple asterisk server (running on Debian) with a postgresql database backend for administration.

When anybody calls, the number is matched against the database of customers. If found, the customer name will show up in the screen in addition to the number. Android cellphones integrate nicely with its native SIP stack, meaning calls can be forwarded to cellphones at no additional charge.

Our home-grown CRM allows one to click a call button next to a customer name to call that person from your local phone. The phones were cheap, the PBX was free (it runs on a server already in use for other things).

13. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Great you've replaced proprietary telco lockin with Apple lockin.

Yay. Let's hear it for freedom of choice.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like