back to article Next Xbox to be called ‘Xbox Infinity’... er... ‘Xbox’

The next Xbox will be called the Xbox Infinity, if a piccy of an allegedly leaked logo is to be believed. Or perhaps it’ll just be plain Xbox, as a separate, equally unofficial, just as questionable logo suggests. The Xbox Infinity - not actually a name, just the word XBOX with an infinity symbol superscript - and the tagline …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Wild Bill

Can't see that logo being legit. It looks like a fallen over Windows 8 logo, which would surely be a bit too close to the bone for Microsoft.

2. Big_Boomer Silver badge
    Trollface

Ybox?

Y buy one? I've always hated console controllers. Y design a controller that uses the LEAST dexterous of our five digits as the primary controller? It's nearly as bad as the controls in a car. Motorcycles have a much more sensible layout. I'd far rather have a keyboard and mouse any day of the week. As for Kinect,... watching my neighbour dance, twitch and fall over is moderately entertaining, until he notices me laughing at his epileptic spasms and closes the curtains.

3. ScottishYorkshireMan
    Alert

Always On?

Personally the always on idea doesn't bother me that much, I have a couple of Virgin Tivo's and they are effectively always on, to virgin anyway.

What concerns me more is the fact that the onboard Kinect v2 can theoretically examine a room and determine how many people are in it when watching a movie and duly charge for each person watching. If this turns out to be true, Virgin media will be getting my money for latest releases even if they aren't in full HD.

1. Richard 81

Re: Always On?

You're with VM and you're not worried about always on?

4. Tom 13

Computer equipment plus always on internet and the word 'infinity'

That smells like a messy fight to me. I expect Comcast to be firing up the Lawyer canons if they go forward with that.

5. Maharg
    Unhappy

Split Screen Required

I know im old fashioned but I enjoy having a few mates round, getting some beers and pizza and playing split screen, it used to be a case of a range of titles and types could be played, everything from fighter jets to FPS, to RPGs, now if I want to play anything other then Fifa or Call of Duty with my friends we have to do it online, its taken to social aspect of gaming away completely.

1. Richard 81

Re: Split Screen Required

Have they said they're going to stop people playing split screen? Surely that's one of the main reasons for having a console.

1. Grimster
        Stop

Re: Split Screen Required

The savvy might say they want you to have TWO consoles.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Two consoles

But it would two different wouldn't it?

6. taxman
    Facepalm

It's really called

"another Xbox from Microsoft you can play games with and other 'cool' stuff".

1. Elmer Phud

Re: It's really called

Will this naming end up in a spiral that ends up with an X'upmyown'Box?

7. adam payne

It will be interesting to see what they've come up with but i'm not sure about the always on function. If the console has the always on function I won't be buying one.

8. hplasm
    Devil

I would go for the second logo-

1. It looks like the 'Xbox' X is broken; there is past form here...

2 The broken 'X' also resembles a crying 'Y'.... as in "Why? Why did I buy this?" ; again suitable, see 1.

9. Mr Spock

X-Lax

Microsoft can stick it up their...

10. Jonathan 29

Neither

Pretty sure these are both fan art. Microsoft is going for a more unified branding across products and these don't fit.

My broadband isn't particularly reliable at the mo (damn you Sky), but I don't really care about always online. If I buy a new console it will be the one offering something new and interesting. From what is rumored from MS and Sony so far, it might be a Steam box with an Oculus Rift.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Infinity because..1/inf=0

Maybe their marketing will say that the probability of the rivals getting one over infinity is zero.

And cue the maths arguments :-)

12. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

I wonder how much

BT, Virgin, et all would pay someone like (say) Microsoft to release a new games console that required a permanent internet connections to work.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder how much

Surely it would be the other way around.

Most people (if not all) who have an xbox already have an internet connection - I don't see many new broadband customers from the always on feature - but I can see Virgin/BT etc getting annoyed at a jump in bandwidth utilisation.

Remember that when BBC introduced iPlayer the ISPs weren't happy, as they rely on you not using the bandwidth you pay for.

1. Kevin 6

Re: I wonder how much

well in the states AT&T, and most other ISP's would be ecstatic as after reaming people for the $50 or so a month for 100gigs after its used that all up in a week they could ream an additional $5-10 per 5 gigs every time.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Infinite entertainment. Infinite possibilities"

Infinite connection.

You're not customers, you're our bitches!

'slap!'

Give me all your money!

Nah, you can't play that game today, maybe tomorrow. Why? server down, broadband offline, sunspots... take your pick.

Swallow that!

14. andy gibson

The word "Infinity" already tainted

Thanks to BT.

15. Tom 35

If they use the same people who came up with Metro

They better attach the logo with Velcro so it's easy to change.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Azure

I predict part of the new system will involve cloud based gaming via Azure. (try THAT without being 'always online'...) Hence the 'infinity' moniker.

17. Peter Galbavy
    Facepalm

forced advertising and movement tracking

I didn't see anyone mention forced advertising and Kinect integration ala http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/15/interactive-nuads-xbox-360-kinect/

That's why "always on" is going to be mandatory. DRM is already good enough against the majority of gamers.

Should be interesting to see how this goes down in the EU and other areas with some semblance of privacy protection.

18. ecofeco Silver badge
    Unhappy

Now I remember

Now I remember why I don't play or buy games anymore.

19. lunatik96

Internet as needed

Someone pays for that internet bandwidth. I remember when my plan limited the # of MB (not GB). The early internet aware games had a local mode and and internet (network) mode. Why is this so difficult to understand.

However, for all of you complaining, why did u buy the stupid game anyway? I personally don't buy anything with a subscription or that requires on-line connections. If consumers revolted en masse, do u think MicroSucks would adapt? What about EA games?

Fort those of you that say it is no big deal to have the internet on always requirement, I liked the washing machine analogy in another post. Why would I call the maker to get permission to do laundry and buy a new machine after 3 years of use because they don't support it?

In general, I think those who disagree with their policy but buy their games promote the environment they curse.

20. AlexS
    Mushroom

Rumours

Apparently there are rumours that there maybe be rumours about, although this could be a rumour.

21. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Don't forget your legal rights

A lot of people saying "they might stop this" or "they might stop that" but whatever they can do technically, they still have to abide by consumer law

22. mrbawsaq
    FAIL

NextBox UI

What's to bet that the next Xbox, whatever the fuck they call it, will have the new Windows 8/Surface/Metor/Whatever the fuck they call it UI?

Which will work as good with a console controller as it does with mouse/keyboard.

23. Carlos TuTu III

Erm, no.

Clearly none of those are real logos as the typefaces are absolutely shocking.

1. Oninoshiko

Re: Erm, no.

funny, I thought that was one of the points that made them plausible.

24. Bamboozled
    Alert

Band-Aid version?

Second one looks like some plasters stuck in a crisscross fashion.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Infinity defintion

History forever repeating itself...

So does this mean RROD again and a rushed out release to capture the Xmas market and worry about the fallout later???

26. Nya
    Coat

Sure it's infinity?

It looks more like 8 that's fallen over :P

(yes I know its a Moebius strip)

27. mike white 1

Infinity?

Surely that's actually an 8 on it's side. Does this mean the new Xbox will be powered by Windows 8?

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Infinity?

Probably

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like