back to article Galaxy S4 radiant, but has black holes

Samsung's Galaxy S4 is as wonderfully polished as you would expect from the Korean manufacturer's latest flagship, but the software the company says turns it into a “life companion” will be an acquired taste for many. Samsung yesterday officially launched the S4 for Australians at a lavish event staged at Sydney's Opera House …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Stefing

The S4 is no N4

I had the Samsung S3 - a great phone - but switch to the Nexus 4 as I prefer the pure Android experience.

The S4 will hopefully draw millions of fanbois away from their tiny iThings but I'm sticking to Nexus devices from now on - the gimmicks just don't appeal.

1. Chet Mannly

Re: The S4 is no N4

Great to have choice isn't it :-)

2. Tom 11

Lag??

I have to say, I have a Note I & a Note II, I am sure the portrate / landscape lag is intentional, those times where you accidenty tilt the phone slightly over its threshold to switch would be a real pain in the backside if it flipped the second it was triggered. I prefer the slight lag for the above reasons. The phone (especially Note II) is blisteringly fast, when you use one ,or an SIII it is apparent that merely fliping views views instanly is far beneath the devices capability, I'm sure this holds true for the SIIII also.

1. Paul Shirley

Re: Lag??

I've had a few ROMs installed that exposed the delay in settings but it's only part of the problem, usually a very minor part.

The major issue is by default Android handles rotation of apps by restarting them and that can be very expensive, especially for container apps like the launcher. Since the rotation animation doesn't start till the app finishes reinitialising you see a lot of lag if the app takes a long time, even though actual rotation detection isn't laggy! On the same device simple apps switch quickly.

It's possible to work around this and internally deal with rotation but few apps bother. Not sure a launcher could do it while supporting widgets anyway and most simply disable landscape mode to avoid the issue.

It's probably the 'right thing' to do by default, completely reinitialising is more reliable and automagic but with an unfortunate effect on lag.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Lag?? @ Paul Shirly

I find the apps I use most are fixed in one orientation, and if your app is supposed to work with various orientations, then it should manage it itself I think...

Although I would like landscape apps to allow you to hold the tablet any way up, it is frustrating that my tablet case stands my tablet one way and the app doesn't work that way up!

1. Paul Shirley

Re: Lag?? @ Paul Shirly

"should manage it (rotation) itself", while I appreciate having 180&270deg rotation without relying on devs explicitly supporting it. I think we can assume at least some would manage to display upside down if they tried ;)

Non-standard rotations few have available but so very useful if your OEM foolishly put the notification LED in the power button on the phones top edge, carefully hidden from sight!

2. MrXavia
      Thumb Up

Re: Lag??

oh I totally agree, the iPads almost instant flip is irritating in the least! my Tab 10.1 is much nicer in that regard (plus I can have multiple apps on screen at once with the note!!)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lag on screen rotation...

I haven't used an S4 but I presume that is intentional. Most phones have a lag on rotation to confirm that you actually want to turn the phone around.

If it was instant and you were lying down you might find it flipping rapidly between the two formats otherwise.

Most of the time you don't move between the two formats (apart from testing the phone) continuously. You choose to use it in portrait or landscape based on your situation or app and don't return it until after you have finished that app or your situation changes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lag on screen rotation...

"If it was instant and you were lying down you might find it flipping rapidly between the two formats otherwise."

Depends how hard you're fapping.

2. dougal83

Re: Lag on screen rotation...

The delay is intentional as you've said. The API will let developers set the delay.

Ref:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/hardware/SensorManager.html

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Decrufting

I'm sure that it's a perfectly nice phone, as long as you're prepared to spend half an hour in a quiet corner with a cup of coffee turning off the spurious Samsung "features" before really using it.

I had to do that with my S3, turning off "smart stay", the stupid gesture stuff, NFC (potentially useful one day, but not yet, and probably not that well tested) and Bob-knows what else. Once I had done that, it was much more like a sensible, useful Android device. Great hardware, but Samsung's "customisations" or "premium features" are just tat.

I keep saying this, but if such manufacturers sold two variants, the "enhanced" version with all the tchotchkes and wossnames, and the other more or less plain Android, the world would be a better place. The latter could just be a subset of the former, and not even require maintaining a massively different code base, mostly being just a case of only updating the right bits.

Oh, and last thing.. don't bother with a bloody Samsung account. It's useless, spammy and pointless, and their web services are beyond horrid. The device works just fine without one- in fact, arguably better.

Still, they do make nice devices..

1. MuddyBoots
      Happy

Re: Decrufting

On my S1 I kept uninstaling the Samsung Store, preferring to stick with the Android store instead.

This was precisely because Samsung innundate you with Spam and their Store is virtually unnavigable due to the sheer volume of tat. Of course, on every update the Samsung Store kept reinstalling itself or disabling apps that "needed" the store to "verify" my account.

It never surprises me that a company that's so good at the hardware side seem to have a software arm that is run by the Sales and Marketing Department.

I'm now on an iPhone because my company is prepared to foot the bill (surprising how things like that will sway me). I miss Android for it's flexibility and at the same time, love the iPhone because it just "works". One day, (and it's not today) somebody will provide a phone that has both these things...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows Phone 8 OS is clear and easy to use with no confusion.

Droid and iOS both need to be dragged into 2013!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If Eadon and Obviously! were to come into contact, would all their shared mass be converted to energy?

6. JaitcH
    WTF?

Doesn't speak SpOzzie

QUOTE; 'My own experiments were rather less successful, as attempts to dredge travellers' Spanish from the deep recesses of my mind resulted in some mis-spellings'.

Few dialects torture Foreign languages more than Australian twang. In a few months it will be fluent.

7. Bunker_Monkey
    WTF?

What! all that functionality

AND STILL NO MICO-PROJECTOR??? Fail.....

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: What! all that functionality

I've never seen a Mico-projector, but I've tried ones with microprojectors and they're the kind of gimmick you use a few times and then give up on quickly.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have one on order for friday, and as long as its as good as my S3 was, i'll be happy, I will be surprised if it is sluggish though, from my understanding Android had done a lot to improve visual performance...

Probably caused by the samsung extras features, most of which will be turned off upon getting into my hands... I don't want most of the features except maybe the translate that works offline... google translate is great otherwise!

9. Spanners Silver badge
    Happy

A happy S2 user

I have a few months of contract still to run S I am beginning to look at what's available.

I have only got 2 criticisms of the S2 and they are likely to be the same for the S4.

1. *Junkware*. When I got my phone, I went through and installed what I needed and configured things. Then I found out what a pain the Samsung "hubs" were.They had pooled all my email, textx, IP FB and anything else into a big mess. After trying to cope with it for a couple of months, I bit the bullet and reset to factory settings and carefully did not touch these annoying utilities.

2. It's too thin! I know that one of the cool factors that impresses the uninformed is how un-thick a phone is. The manufacturers have not really got a choice on this. If someone made a 12mm thick phone, all we would hear would be "OMG - it's even thicker than an iPhone!".

The first fault can be "fixed" by knowing that all the junkware must not be clicked upon. Remove it from your screens and should you accidentally run it from the Apps, you just have to carefully reverse out of there.

The other problem solution is one that unfortunately keeps me from having a Nexus phone. I put a high capacity battery in the phone and as a side effect now it is thick enough to hold comfortably and securely. I have a Nexus7 tablet and really like the cruft-free interface but with my phone, battery life is more important.

At the moment, the choice seems to be between the S4 and the One. If the rumours that the One will not be upgraded seem to be true, that will rule it out. I wonder what other competitors will show up.

10. Alan Brown Silver badge

A happy S2 user

Me too. I've just upgraded mine to JB (samsung version) and after rooting/removing the samsung tat I'm a happy bunny. I've tried the S3 and couldn't see a good reason to upgrade, nor do I for the S4, despite the exra whizzy bits.

I'm the kind of user who keeps a phone for years&years (ie, till it breaks), then upgrades to whatever's top of the line at the time, after trying everyone else's phone to see what I do/don't like. This allows reverting to sim-only pricing for the interim period.

BTW: the best "upgrade" I would like to see is a battery capacity whihch will let the phone run for 2 days or more.

1. Trustme

Re: A happy S2 user

"BTW: the best "upgrade" I would like to see is a battery capacity whihch will let the phone run for 2 days or more."

Your prayers have been answered:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/04/12/deal-alert-this-7000mah-galaxy-s-iii-battery-will-power-your-phone-till-the-cows-come-home-and-its-only-34/

11. Chet Mannly

"One reason is weak integration with social networks: the photo app doesn't offer a share to Twitter or share to Facebook option until those apps are installed"

You mean it doesn't shove FB and twitter down my throat unless I want it to?

Huzzah! That's great news!

12. ecofeco Silver badge
    Joke

That's not a phone!

That's a fablet!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like