back to article Ten Windows tablets

Twelve months ago the idea of compiling a list of Windows tablets that you would actually want to buy would have been as impossible to do as it would have been farcical to suggest. But with the launch of Windows 8 and Windows RT all that has changed, and we are now faced with a bewildering array of fondleslabs all running …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. John 120
    Thumb Up

Right on time

Been looking for some guidance with these tablets, I've been using the phone OS for a couple of years now and am actually quite impressed, so willing to give the tablet a try on that merit, it's also nice to be the black sheep once in a while, hearing how much people hate these things without ever actually booting one up and trying it for daily tasks. Reminds me of old debates lost in time! ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Need to make it easy too see if they are WinRT

The reviews need to make it easy too see if they are WinRT devices or Win 8.

I don't want to have to read most of the review in order to find out which it is; I'm not even sure they should be in the same list.

1. Greg D

Re: Need to make it easy too see if they are WinRT

100% agree. Win RT is a waste of time from my point of view.

3. Robert E A Harvey

It's 2013

No-one is getting /any/ money from me, /no matter what/ if it says 1366 x 768 on the box.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: It's 2013

Yes absolutely. The 1024x768 iPad 2 I own suddenly stopped being usable when they made a version with double the resolution. Oh - wait it's just as nice as it ever was. You sir are the kind of number-driven purchaser the marketing teams are looking for.

4. Ramazan
    WTF?

Who is Asus? Who is HP? Who is Dell? Who is Acer?

Why do your include that crap into the comparison? I'm not even sure that Samsung is qualified to be reviewed here at all. The only real contenders in MS market are MS and Sony (and Apple via BootCamp). Going further, Sony Win8 notebooks are crap (only once did they a good job -- with X505VP), but MS Surface is apparently OK (http://www.penny-arcade.com/2013/02/25/the-ms-surface-pro).

1. hungee
      Thumb Down

Re: Who is Asus? Who is HP? Who is Dell? Who is Acer?

Never worked in an enterprise environment huh...

DUMB.

Sony is truly terrible. MS make software and apple don't actually... Well, bootcamp is stoopid and they don't make tablets/hybrids capable of touch win8.

2. Al Taylor

Re: Who is Asus? Who is HP? Who is Dell? Who is Acer?

Not covering kit from Acer, Asus, Dell and HP would have made for a rather short and incomplete product round-up.

5. bailey86

Not sure what these are pitched at.

Not sure what these are pitched at.

If as netbooks then the Reg said that netbooks are dying out:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/12/netbooks_to_become_extinct_by_2015/

If they're supposed to be laptops then the ten inch screen and atom processor mean they can't be serious laptops. How well would they be able to Netbeans for example or to compile stuff? So even if you can plug them into a decent screen etc when you get to your desk they are going to be seriously underpowered.

And as to being tablets - the average cost of about £600 is too high when you can get a (I've got one and it's brilliant) Nexus 10 for £319.00.

I suppose the advantage is that they can tie in to the MS ecosystem - instead of downvoting could others explain if these tablets can use Active Directory for logins and pick Group policy type stuff. And is it more efficient than using some sort of terminal client on iPads or Android?

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Not sure what these are pitched at.

Running netbeans is not a need for a "serious laptop" for 99% of users. Running Word is.

2. Citizen Kaned

Re: Not sure what these are pitched at.

i was going to get a nexus 10 but after 3 weeks waiting for the larger HDD one i starting looking elsewhere.

my issues with android is that its a clat to use NAS in the way i like. i also tried a samsung android tablet and it couldnt even handle my HD video without stuttering.

of course any windows AD etc will work as long as you get windows Pro. i use NAS all the time at home and i just find it much nicer to use than ios or android. plus i much prefer to drag and drop music from NAS and IMO this is far superior to android or ios in this respect.

in fairness each touch enabled OS has its annoyances and kwerks. its just picking the one that will allow you to work how you want.

remember, a windows 8 (not RT) tablet isnt just a method to consume. you can have any normal windows software on it. i can even run mine as a webserver if i like. the mrs uses ours for her coursework too.

for my parents i would say android or ios as its more basic and user friendly. for anyone wanting the most from a tablet i would say go win8. i find ios annoyingly locked down and i hate itunes with a passion. its just garbage. i know there are alternatives but i shouldnt have to fudge around to do the basics.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Iconia

The Iconia actually looks fairly decent... Hmmm.

1. Al Taylor
      Thumb Up

Re: Iconia

For what it's worth a friend bought one last week on my recommendation (he got it for £529 from ebuyer) and he's as happy as a dog with two tails with it. He wanted something to replace his very old 13-inch Dell laptop but that would also work as a tablet for casual on-the-sofa use. Reckons the W700 does both jobs perfectly.

2. Citizen Kaned

Re: Iconia

IMO the new case and keyboard is better than the dock too. oddly the case and dock are almost as heavy as the tablet though

http://techcrash.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/13635_111.jpg

me and the mrs certainly love ours.

7. StuCom
    Megaphone

Give RT a break! It works great for what it is!!

I hate it when people slag off stuff they have never owned or probably even tried.

**All tablets have compromises**

I bought a Windows RT Tablet (Asus vivotab RT) a few weeks ago for £286 on eBay (they're typically going for between £230 and £350). It has 2 USB ports, BTW - there's an adapter in the box for the second port that you can use on either the tablet or dock. The combination of a really light tablet and a detachable keyboard with the extra battery is just awesome. I can work on it with the keyboard and trackpad (e.g. at work in meetings), then detach the screen and use it on the sofa or loo like a tablet.

I have an iPad 1 (for the kids), iPad Mini (wife), Windows 8 tablet (main desktop PC) and I have tried everything else - 2x Android tabs, WebOS and even Blackberry for a bit. The Windows RT tab is *easily* the best so far for my needs. NO, it's not my main PC, but then I want a sofa surfer that can also do other stuff when needed. It's the tablet I go to first, carry around with me and use the most.

I could write essays on the problems with them all, but basically what I like about RT (and 8) most is the UI. I love the swipey gestures for navigation - it feels very natural and fluid. The UI is always responsive and smooth (unlike Android, even with Jelly Bean). I think Microsoft have done a fine job.

Windows RT is awesome for its market, (i.e. not a desktop/laptop replacement) and it is easily able to compete with the iPad while soundly beating every Android device I have tried.

The main downside for me at the moment is a lower number of apps/games compared to IOS and Android. But app count is not what it seems!

I can't really complain about IOS in this department because it's the clear leader in both quality and quantity of apps (although I can complain about the User Interface - so where's the innovation in the last 6 years?).

The apps that Windows 8/RT do have beat your average Android experience hands-down:

Android apps are often (usually? always?) not tablet optimised, so you get a scaled-up phone experience (try the eBay app on the iPad, Windows 8/RT and then any Android tab).

Android apps sometimes don't work at all because the developer didn't know about, care, or was able to support all processors, screen sizes, memory configurations, etc. that the grossly fragmented ecosystem has to contend with. I have had 2 of the very best selling Android phones and 2 tablets with every version of the Android OS since Froyo and I have *never* gotten Sky Go to work.. Ever. Worked first time on the iPad, though.

You're often unable to actually buy most Android apps.. Ad supported may cheer-up the free-tards thinking they're getting something for nothing, but I don't want to lose 20% of my screen to an ad banner flashing away continuously. I'd like to support the app developers a bit (the media says that Android developers don't earn much) but how can they compete when their app costs a quid next to someone else who "sells" it for nothing and people don't seem to care about the banner ads?..

Ugh. I'll stop there. I'm starting that essay that on-one wants to read. Either go along with your life believing the haters, or go out and actively try stuff for yourself.

You might be surprised.

8. ffrankmccaffery

Asus VivoTab Smart

I'm quite surprised by this tablet exclusion as from what I've read about it so far it seems to be the most practical and affordable of this current batch. In addition to a lightweight and well-built body it crucially requires only a micro-USB cable to charge from - something appreciated by those who like me have to travel a lot.

Also can everyone just ignore the resident twit with his sub-Slashdot scrawlings. As someone who's looking for a suitable tablet and searching for user feedback all I can see are replies to this plonker's ravings.

1. Al Taylor
      Alert

Re: Asus VivoTab Smart

The Smart was covered in the Top Ten 10" Tablet round-up

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/12/review_roundup_ten_ten_inch_tablets/page3.html

9. Glostermeteor

The major problem with all these Windows-based tablets is price. Why on earth would I buy one of these when I can buy a fully functional laptop with better specs and touchscreen for £400?? I currently use an Asus Transformer TF300 but only because it was about the same price or cheaper than a laptop. Until the prices drop on these things they are not going to capture the market.

1. Citizen Kaned

i was looking but all the cheaper laptops are smaller resolutions.

one of the reasons we went for the acer iconia was due to it being 1080p which i will use for remote play on PS4 when i get one. most laptops are much lower resolution

2. mmeier

Depends on "what do I need". If you have needs for a penable/convertible then the extra money is worth spending. If not - buy a notebook.

I.e if not for the strong rumors of a Hawell based T90x late this/early next year I would have bought a T902. It is more costly than even the units it replaces but (Tower and Tablet) but would allow me to fill all my use cases with one device.

For others (i.e my parents) an Atom+Dock would replace Notebook/Tower and tablet, I managed to keep them from buying an Android "it's cheap" tablet until Christmas by showing them that it is not "personal"(1). At that time the PIV tower needs a replacement anyway and they will get BayTrail convertible with dock (Or two, moms notebook isn't the freshest either)

(1) Currently dad uses the tower with the bigger screen and mom a 14'' notebook

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like