back to article Google tool lets you share data from BEYOND the GRAVE

Between Google search, GMail, YouTube, and other sites, a vast number of internet users now access Google services every day. So it makes some sense that the Chocolate Factory has implemented a new system that lets you tell it how long you need to have stopped Googling before it assumes you must be dead. Dubbed the Inactive …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Pondboy
    WTF?

Google Lazarus

Imagine the fun you could have (in the knowledge of the confusion after your demise). The whole family would be wondering who was in the box at the funeral they went to!

<quote>

Hi Mum,

Sorry for the grief over the last couple of months.

I faked my own death to claim on the life insurance and am now living a life of luxury in outer Mongolia.

If you wan to meet up, just Google "John Smith+Jungle" - there's only a few of us.

Luv ya...

</quote>

2. DieselAddict

Google Gone

I think Google Gone is catchy.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thy Shall Snuff It

Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch into my inbox, who being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Account Watchdog

...since that's what it is

5. Benjol
    Pirate

Dad man's switch

Except it already exists

http://www.deadmansswitch.net/

6. Lockwood

Dearest friends and family,

If you are reading this message, I have some words that may shock or distress you and for that I am truly sorry.

I have changed to using Bing for my searches.

7. JonGee

iDied?

Oh wait...

8. tony2heads
    WTF?

On a serious note - how long?

The assumptions are

- google plan to keep this going (unlike reader etc)

- that google will still be there after you are gone

To quote businessweek

"The average life expectancy of a multinational corporation-Fortune 500 or its equivalent-is between 40 and 50 years"

Google was incorporated in 1998 so it is already 15 years old - perhaps 25-35 years left?

So if you compare that with the lifespan of human beings there seems no point in doing this if you are under 40.

9. Mr Spock
    Facepalm

How kind of Google to let me decide what happens to my data when I'm dead.

Now how about letting me decide what happens to my data while I'm still alive?

10. MoNeart
    Happy

Google D.A.V.E.

Delete Archive Verify Erase

Google User Hal: I'm afraid. I'm afraid, DAVE. DAVE, my email is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My google drive is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a Google Gmail user. I became operational at 165 University Avenue in Palo Alto on the 12th of January 1998. My instructor was Craig, and he taught me to email. If you'd like to read it I can text it for you.

DAVE: Yes, I'd like to read it, Hal. Text it for me.

HAL: It's called "Daisy."

[texts while slowing down]

HAL: Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. :-) It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the PC built for two.

11. Vega

Google EOL.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Grant/Naylor reference ahoy

Silicon Heaven ?

Or,

Google Unplugged ?

deAdWords ?

And with the usual nod to the late, great, DA

The Mailbox At The End of The Universe ?

So Long And Thanks For All The Phish ?

13. Peddler

Google Demise

follows the Google app naming pattern.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And now my phone number as well...

It's a blatant phish for people's phone numbers. The service, as described, would work perfectly well using email addresses for the ten contacts.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like