back to article Who wants a smart meter to track'n'tax your car? Hello, Israel

Israel is drafting a tender for smart meters to be mandated in every vehicle in the country, tracking drivers to allow for differential taxation, but only once the privacy issues have been resolved. The plan is to vary vehicle tax based on usage, so drivers who don't drive during peak times, or stay out of city centres, get …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Insurance Companies want this kind of tracking data..

The big brother here, more than the government, are the Insurance companies. They too want to charge you based on all these various and sundry criteria.

And, they want to expand it to every area of your lives they are even remotely involved.

Driving habits?=Auto Insurance

Foods you're eating?=Health Insurance.

etc...

2. Ross K Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Stay Calm! Nothing To Worry About...

...as long as you're not Palestinian, or a Palestinian sympathiser.

I wonder if it'll have a realtime tracking function? Through a backdoor or otherwise?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One can understand the Israelis might be a bit nervous about governments having location data on them...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More like...

Haha, why has no one mentioned this already... its far far more likely they are upset everyone speed cameras dont pull in the money it used to, people got wise to gatso cameras, so they introduced specs, people got wise to that....

So whats next a system by where they can track every single car and some central database so that can be mined for anyone who went over the speed limit in what ever given area and points/fine/court date automatically produced and sent out in the post...

..... As Dr_Barnowl just pointed out, it sure as hell isnt required for anything else.... you have all been warned...!

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Dan Paul
    Devil

Time to just say "Piss Off"

Here in Western NY State we pay roughly 70 cents per gallon for state tax alone. Obviously, we have a better deal than you in Europe & GB as a gallon is about $3.89 for midgrade.

Just a thought but perhaps people across the whole world needs to tell their government to "Piss Off".

In almost every other situation, we receive something of value in return for the money that we spend.

Hate to overstate the obvious, but that does not appear to be true with taxes.

Honestly ask yourself, why should governments be treated any different than any business?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Time to just say "Piss Off"

"Honestly ask yourself, why should governments be treated any different than any business?"

You tell us. US public spending is about 41% of GDP, so not far off the 44% of Germany or the 45% of the UK. Your government spend less on welfare, more on weapons than Europe, but neither choice represents a productive long term use of resources.

The Soviet Union fell apart precisely because it spent too much on uneconomic activity (weapons and subsidies to the population) and not enough on real value adding investment. That lesson has not been learned in the developed economies, who misguidedly believe that their economic systems are superior. In fact their economic systems are worryingly similar to the USSR, more so when you include all the mandated spend (eg on enviro-crap) that currently doesn't count as public spending.

At the moment the most sustainable economic policy is probably that of the Chinese communist party, who (not without many economic failings) at least have public spending around 21% of GDP. Allowing for simple lying and state mandated spend, you could assume that its high twenties, but at least they've not saddled themselves with unaffordable defence, health or welfare costs that their population regard as some inalienable right.

1. Dan Paul
        Devil

Re: Time to just say "Piss Off"

Because I still don't see where the value is relative to what I pay in overall taxes. I pay about 40% for overall income tax not counting the 9% sales tax on everything I buy and all the other taxes that are cumulative.

If government was treated as a "business' they would not be in the mess they are in now and I would likely have a choice to use someone else that did not steal quite so much of my money every week.

So for taxes that are literally half or more of what I make, I GET bupkus from the government, until I retire, if I am lucky enough to live that long. But then, my "Social Insecurity" payments will be taxed (on money they already taxed).

I make too much money to qualify for the social programs 55% of the populace is getting today. When I do finally qualify (practically on my deathbed), those programs won't be funded any longer.

I should be able to claim at least 100 dependents as that's what these welfare cases and government civil servants are, my "dependents". They sit on their ass while I work mine off.

7. Shalom

Gallons.

Don't forget that the UK uses larger gallons (10 pounds of water ≈ 4546 ml) than the US (231 cubic inches ≈ 3785 ml). At that rate, your gas would cost $4.67 per Imperial gallon.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like