back to article Music resale service ReDigi loses copyright fight with Capitol Records

A US District Court in New York has ruled that ReDigi, an online marketplace that allows users to sell their purchased music files, violates copyright law. Cambridge, Massachusetts–based ReDigi, which launched its service in October 2011, claimed to be "the world's first, real legal alternative to expensive online music …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But to call the shots for the other side...

WTF- I don't get the downvotes here, Oh4fS's actually spot on. "Fuck capitol records"

There are millions of bands out there who give their shit away for free. While everyone used to laugh about myspace, and if those bands haven't all left for facebook(another bad move), or caught in the middle hating both.

Capitol will still be around in 10 years. Trust me, I know. ;o)

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Judgements like this

are exactly the reason why I will only obtain copies of digital media through "illegal" methods. I simply cannot support the way in which digital media is "licenced" rather than "sold".

When this changes, I will. Until then...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let me get this straight

Basically this judgement seems to be saying that every digital transfer is equivalent to a fresh copy of the work. In which case the reloading of a newly purchased iShiny or reformatted one from iTunes with ones previous purchases amounts to new distributions of all the tracks in question. Apple must owe the artists zillions in royalties.

3. The Nazz

The end of Cloud services?

Surely it's the end of any and all Cloud services?

The Judge is saying that it is impossible to transfer any music file, every transfer is a NEW file created from the existing. So what is the difference is a storage/Cloud service doing the same with my files? They must be making "new" and unauthorised copies also.

So every single media file stored in the Cloud ( ie legit services ) must have prior authorisation from the copyright holders. Yeah, that's gonna work fine isn't it?

On that note, i wrote to CBS records back in the 70's to ask "permission" to copy an Lp to tape to play in the car. I'm still waiting. The b*st*rds could've at least replied.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like