back to article Microsoft LOVES YOU: Free Wi-Fi on the British railways for a month

Waiting for a train could be a marginally more interesting experience next month: Microsoft will provide free Wi-Fi on platforms to tempt commuters into buying an Office 365 subscription. The wireless internet access comes from The Cloud and will cover the larger UK stations. Travellers can already bag 15 minutes of free …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. ecofeco Silver badge
    FAIL

Twice the FAIL

Microsoft

Cloud

Check please.

2. Nifty Silver badge

In Finland WiFi is plain & simple FREE on moving trains.

Some restrictions on things like streaming video do exist.

How it should be.

1. JDX Gold badge

Is that for real? I'm taking a 15-hour trainride from Helsinki to Kolari next week...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In Finland WiFi is plain & simple FREE on moving trains

Does it become chargeable when the train stops?

3. southpacificpom
    Stop

Free WiFi for a month, isn't too bad and could be far worse like BR offering free sandwiches for a month.

1. JDX Gold badge

<insert douglas adams reference here>

4. nwlad
    Thumb Up

Never let ignorance get in the way of a good slagging

It is apparent that many of the contributors here have never used or even researched Office 365! Although I am sure some of you have and are letting your own prejudices get in the way of simple facts. So you don't want to let Microsoft see your browsing habits but happy to let Google/. Apple/ Sky(Cloud) see them - interesting!

Office 365 provides Office in the cloud AND the ability to download a copy onto your laptop/slate PC or desktop. You can choose where to store your documents, either "in the cloud" in IL/2 accredited datacentres or on your own SkyDrive , SharePoint site, local directory etc.. Consumer O365 provides the full office suite and 5 copies of office , including Office for Mac. Commercial Office 365 also includes options to run Exchange, Lync and SharePoint as well as office ,hoisted in "the cloud" or in a hybrid manner with it connected to your on premises exchange etc. all under the same domain address if required. The ability to share documents etc. and access them via thick or thin clients or from ip[hone, Android, Windows phone , iPad etc. is available from whatever web browser you choose to use.

Will Microsoft care if you use the free Wi-Fi to download something else - NO. Will everyone do that - NO. Will some people try it and like what they see - Probably - it's called marketing .. :)

that's my comment - I just thought I'd try and put up a factual post. :)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like