back to article Samsung: We're doing smart watches too

It's Cupertino's turn to capture a flag planted by Samsung: while Apple has been content to allow leaks to fuel rumours about its “smart watch” plans, its Korean nemesis/rival/copycat has gone public with its project. In a discussion that will probably warm the hearts of patent lawyers worldwide, Samsung's Lee Young Hee, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: I'm pretty sure neither of them were first to smartwatches

>So who's patents are they?

Full-blown watch-phones were sold years ago (but they just weren't worthwhile for fairly obvious reasons) and the concept itself can't be protected by patents- see Dick Tracey. What might be covered by patents are the clever things you do to implement the concept.

1. MrXavia
    Facepalm

I love my tech, but Apple/Samsung watches? what will it be? daily charges? no thanks...

I'll stick to my £500 eco-drive watch thanks... battery never needs charging...

2. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    FAIL

Working on it for so long...

Yeah, 30 seconds after information about an Apple watch - sometimes i think Apple make stuff up, leak it to see what Samsung does. Quite funny really.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Working on it for so long...

>Yeah, 30 seconds after information about an Apple watch - sometimes i think Apple make stuff up, leak it to see what Samsung does. Quite funny really.

Not really: Samsung and Sony have both made smartwatches before. On top of that, all firms are finding that their smartphones are getting more mature and thus less exciting each year. Add to that the 'just around the corner' promise of flexible components such as displays and batteries, and advances in wireless charging and processor efficiency... and you'll see why these watch stories are emerging at the same time.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Working on it for so long...

"Yeah, 30 seconds after information about an Apple watch - sometimes i think Apple make stuff up, leak it to see what Samsung does. Quite funny really."

Your user name seems apt.

3. Rick Brasche

old news?

I stuck my last-gen iPod Nano into a cheap Chinese watch band.

all it needs is 3/4G and bluetooth.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samsung and Apple basically copying Sony as usual.

Their watches have been out for several years already

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/accessories/smartwatch/

5. Bilious
    FAIL

Hype

Why would anyone want Apple or Samsung when there are Casio Pro-Trek watches to be had?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like