back to article Samsung Galaxy S 4: A slim stripper with palms hovering over its body

Modern smartphones are little more than promotional vehicles for manufacturer services, and the Galaxy S4 is a perfect example, arriving heavily laden with all the things Samsung thinks we should be doing with them. Like a respectable lapdancer, the Galaxy S4 responds to a roving eye and fingertips hovering over its slim body …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Whelp, here we are

First of all, I don't know who you're debating because it's certainly not me. If you bothered to read my post, I'm not saying that Apple is "innovating" any more or less than Samsung now.

Second--I consider your list of new Samsung "innovations" to be gimmicks, on a similar level to what Apple has been releasing with Siri, Passbook, etc. Of course with each new release these companies make sure they have a laundry list of new features but I expect most people will either disable them or never use them. Seriously, when was the last time you really wanted to check the barometer with your phone?

1. droolian01

Your lack of knowledge on the subject of Samsung phones doesn't really add any credibility to your comments. My sgs3 has a barometer, the new sensors that have been added are for temperature and humidity. No i don't 'directly' use the barometer very often, but my navigation/gps logging apps use it to augment the woeful inaccuracy of GPS (a general gps failing, not specifically a samsung one. By the way, the glossnas capable gps chipset on the sgs3 is SUPERB).

Now come on app devs, we now have a devise that can act as a portable weather station! (anemometer excluded).

For outdoors types/hillbaggers, you have a device that can log your track, interpolate altitude accurately, warn about impending lows/highs/weather fronts, keep a record of your vitals and all this without needing to be networked! Now add the potential that networking can bring to this: mountain rescue, wunderground with a MILLION mobile weather stations etc....

This level of inovation just proves that Samsung can really bring about Cunning Stunts.....

.... and confirms that Apple and there fanbois are just a bunch of Stunning C.........

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"This level of inovation just proves that Samsung can really bring about"

It's NOT innovation. It's simply incremental engineering. They've put more pre-existing electronic gadgets into the same size space than they were able to last year. That's not innovation in my book. Innovation is coming up with something new or a very different way of using something pre-existing.

It's nice to see incremental engineering and more "stuff" in the same size box as last year and at about the same price as last year, but that's been going on for years. It's not new or innovative.

1. Chet Mannly

"an increase in pixel density that literally can't be seen by human eyeballs."

If you hold the screen close to your eyes you can see a change in pixel density like that easily - time to stop parroting Apple's figures, which are calculated at a specific viewing distance.

"The rear camera gets a huge increase in resolution that likely only makes it worse, at least in low-light situations.'

What on earth are you talking about - I haven't seen any reviews saying that

Or are you one of these ignoramus' that still thinks fewer megapixels = better in low light? perhaps a decade ago when digital cameras were in their infancy, but these days noise is lower and more easily removed with more pixels on a given size sensor.

"it has a barometer sensor."

As someone who spends a lot of time doing nature photography outdoors in unfamiliar countries that would be a useful feature actually.

"But I don't mean this as criticism."

Sure as hell sounds like it Apple fanboi

"farce and I assume Google's attempt is too, since I never see anybody using it"

Or you could, you know, actually try using it yourself (radical idea I know)

I'd say get a clue before posting in future, but putting down ignorant fanbois is kinda fun...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like