back to article First Samsung Galaxy S4 review leak: Stop FONDLING, start FINGERING

Samsung's new Galaxy S4 smartphone isn't being launched until 2300 GMT today - but the first review is already online with technical specifications and videos of it in action. And it suggests there's no need to touch the mobile's touchscreen to make it work. A few journalists bagged early access to the new handset on condition …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
aqk
Pint

Anti-freeze is sort of a generic term-

It more appropriately describes its properties when mixed with water, not its formula.

Anyhow, windshield wiper usually has alcohol in it (the Methanol kind, not the Ethanol in your Scotch or gas tank).

You would not want to keep, or add this highly flammable stuff in a hot radiator.

Whereas the liquid in your radiator is a mixture of water and Ethylene Glycol - or the "newer" Propylene Glycol + a bunch of other crap you don't wanna know about.

But the original poster is right. They are all "anti-freeze" in one form or another. Whatever gets you through the night.

Thumb Up

My SGS1 had proximity..

My SGS1 had an issue, I didn't have to touch the screen to interact with items...just hovering very close to the screen would push items etc. Not 100% of the time. Remember: Yesterday's bug is tomorrow's feature.

Anonymous Coward

So

They've made it slimmer so the camera protrudes - hopefully they made the camera surround metal like on HTC phone so it scratches anyhing it rests on.

Whay not just make the phone a mm or so thicker and use the space for a monster battery?

JC_

Re: So

Anyone interested in how mobile phone cameras work, here's a good article on AnandTech. It's quite astonishing how many layers they can pack into that tiny space.

Anonymous Coward

Re: So

I think you're confusing the words "good" and "mind-numbingly boring" there.

This post has been deleted by its author

JC_

@m a d r a

Clearly you missed the bit where I said "Anyone interested in how mobile phone cameras work", you tool.

Mushroom

bloody hell

the fanbois jumped on this quick.

I suspect once Apple "innovate" these same features they will suddenly be great and needed, just like the "we don't need a bigger screen" arguments....

Gold badge

Re: bloody hell

Not sure about that. I think we're just running out of exciting innovations to put in phones at the moment.

I certainly don't need a bigger screen though. I think the current iPhone is too big, just a touch too tall for my tastes. Something under 4" seems better to me, but obviously I'm in a minority. Just like I'm in the minority who like a stylus, for which I'm very grateful to Samsung, for being the only people who seem to still love them.

Anonymous Coward

Apple haven't done all of the gimmicks, they made their screen bigger in one dimension.

In case you've not noticed, Apple doesn't do gimmicks and feature counts. These things aren't essential and can clutter the interface and reduce usability.

One of the most feature laden mobile OSes is symbian, but is that popular now? nope, why? because it had really diabolically bad usability.

We need a return to proper QWERTY keyboards. My old Xperia Pro is superior to any touch keyboard I have used. Now that devices are becoming thinner and thinner, surely there is ROM to innovate on even thinner QWERTY sliders.

Where is the innovation?

So it's a faster processor presumably, not sure if the camera is better but that's par for the course, and the continual screen expansion. So eyeball tracking is what's new? TBF this sounds gimmicky. e.g. looking away from the screen for a couple of secs is fairly normal, so having the video pause would be annoying for me, so you'd hope those "smarts" can be turned off.

Eyeball tracking sounds like a solution looking for a problem to me.

JDX
Gold badge
Mushroom

Re: Where is the innovation?

There's no longer a need to innovate, phones are already so good and do what is required.

Everyone's been saying Apple stagnated 2 years ago but presumably that is just because they were 2 years ahead and now the rest have caught up.

Gold badge
FAIL

JDX,

How can you say that! My phone still can neither make me a cup of tea, nor a bacon sandwich! Until this appalling oversight is rectified no phone can be called usable!

Also, where's me flying car and me home robot to do the washing up?

Silver badge

>My phone still can neither make me a cup of tea, nor a bacon sandwich!

Depends if you have a model with an overheating (or self-combustible) battery!

Silver badge
Joke

Everyone's been saying Apple stagnated 2 years ago

how can you say that, in the last 2 years we've seen Apple Maps.

Oh, on second thoughts, perhaps they just lost their way.

Gold badge
Happy

>My phone still can neither make me a cup of tea, nor a bacon sandwich!

Depends if you have a model with an overheating (or self-combustible) battery!

Dave 126,

Whilst I don't mind paying for my gadgets, I'm not paying the cost of a Boeing 787 just to make a cup of tea!

JDX
Gold badge

>>How can you say that! My phone still can neither make me a cup of tea, nor a bacon sandwich!

People are still adding features to phones. But they are just cramming new things on as gimmicks, not finding needs to meet. Like apps/web-connected TVs. You'd be better with a dedicated bacon sandwich machine.

Mouse-over..

If the software behind the proximity works the same as the note range then hover is supported with the built in browser. I use hover menus all the time via the stylus on my Note 2. It is exceedingly useful.

It's great to see this extended to the finger if, as stated, if it works well and is accurate.

I do turn off a lot of the eye tracking stuff on my phone as it is not overly useful for me. That's not to say it wouldn't be for some however. My colleague finds the prevention of screen time out really useful for reading articles on the bus.

Silver badge

Re: Mouse-over..

Manual scrolling with eyeball-triggered screen brightness seems a more subtle and useful way of using the tech... as long as it results in a net battery saving.

Gold badge
Thumb Up

"I use hover menus all the time via the stylus on my Note 2. It is exceedingly useful."

Same here on a Galaxy Note 1. I also sometimes use it with a bluetooth mouse, which gets you a normal style mouse-pointer on the screen, and hover works with that too. It also works in Firefox, not just the built-in browser. I just assumed that it was the same on all Androids.

Anonymous Coward

What do you use the "hover gesture" for?

Bronze badge

Well I hover to see where the hyperlink on a web page actually leads to. Makes it fun when hovering over the phishing email links to www.yourenowskint.com :)

xkcd.com

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Mouse over is VERY needed, due to the poor web designers who have no idea how to make a website accessible...

Joke

Yawn - real android please...

I await my personal robot with growing impatience.

All this phone tomfoolery is becoming achingly dull. Bigger screen, faster processor, megapixel that, gigabyte the other - it's still just a phone with a computer on it that has a handful of apps that are marginally useful.

For the most part, it's used to show off to your mates, bore/embarrass/harass people with, remind you there's no escape from work - I mean really, what's the big deal anyway?

We were promised jet packs, flying cars, robots ... most importantly, ROBOTS.

I want to get home to find my house clean, dinner waiting, garden done. Heck, I want to send my robot to work a few days a week to take notes, whilst I enjoy some quality leisure time.

Better still, I want to read reports on the TV about Robots going nuts and demanding equal rights.

I bet the Farflung Galaxy S4 doesn't do that, oh no, it just sits there like a rectangular slab of plastic, reminding you that it's really a big old Yawn, or worse, the bearer of bad news: "Sorry, Matt, but you'll have to work this weekend, there's a deadline looming due to our complete ineptitude and bending over backward for clients"

I'd send my bloody Robot around to sort them out - my Robot v. your Robot, I crush your puny S4 under my plastisteel jack boot!

Do you happen to work in advertising…

… or a related idiot circus by any chance?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Yawn - real android please...

Yep, these feature are needless gimmicks.

What smartphone technology was supposed to solve was all manner of things. Communication obviously, but location based services are still woeful.

A phone that has really good lifestyle aids for transportation, shopping, eating and so on built into the phone and easy to use would be great.

Your phone knowing your routine, journey etc would be very handy. Telling you your train is late, telling you that you need to hurry up or you'll miss your train.

Even a phone that says "hold on, there's an accident/roadworks" before you leave work.

But nope, we get eye tracking, whoooopee shit.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Do you happen to work in advertising…

Idiot circus. We have all manner of acts. Mountain Lion tamers, Neck bearded ladies, Gnomes ...

What's your excuse?

Re: Do you happen to work in advertising…

There really is no excuse. But it takes one to know one … and we do a lot of spine extractions.

ERM Google Now?? Not that I would ever use it out of disapproval of Google's spying.

Silver badge

Sounds like Google Now on Android, which the S4 will therefore have.

WTF?

Appalling waste of resources

8core? Does it really take that much to make Android a pleasant experience? Those features also sound as though they could provide plenty of opportunity for the device to fail and annoy in new and interesting ways. I am much more interested in what Jolla will put into their upcoming device. Sailfish appears quite nimble on the extremely outdated hardware they use for demos, so I guess we are in for a treat.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Appalling waste of resources

Cores are just etchings on a piece of silicon. If you have the space, why not put them on there. It's not really any extra effort or wasting anything.

So you do not think that "phones" these days are a little bit on the excessive side in terms of CPU, especially looking at Android?

Why have 12 cylinders when you can have just 1?

Why have 12 cylinders when you can have just 1?

You sir have no soul, to quote Tim `Tool Time` Taylor, `More Power!!!`

Stop

Re: Why have 12 cylinders when you can have just 1?

Well, I bow to all your downvotes. Apparently, all those cores, each runnin at almost 2GHz, are SUPER EFFICIENT and have ZERO impact on battery life. Awesome, I want one.

Well, 4 superfast cores solving the problem quickly, what results in a 95% mean idle time on a single low power core is very power efficient.

It seems counter intuitive, but more power and good power management can easily result in overall low power solutions. The battery will probably last much longer than the Galaxy SIII's...

Thing is, I have here a Nokia N9 with a measily 1 GHz Cortex A8 single core CPU. It multitasks like there is no tomorrow with no lag and still nets a full day on a single charge of a battery almost half the size of the G4. Why? Because MeeGo is a nimble little minx, that is why. As said, I am really looking forward to what happens when Sailfish is running on more current tech.

Anonymous Coward

Actually, you're right, they might literally have zero impact on battery life if they're clock and power gated and only enabled when the phone is plugged in. But don't let me get in the way of your sarcasm.

Pint

Unleash the power of your mobile phone – by plugging it into the wall

That actually sounds quite reasonable.

Silver badge

> It seems counter intuitive, but more power and good power management can easily result in overall low power solutions.

This applies to engines as well. The MPG of a small engined car goes to hell pretty quickly under a heavy load (like 5 large geezers jammed into it, or towing a caravan)

Silver badge

> and have ZERO impact on battery life.

They have ZERO impact on battery life when they are switched off, which on ARM they can be. A 4 core can reduce to using 25% of battery by switching off 3 cores and then can reduce this even further by reducing frequency and even more by going into sleep mode. A single core can only do the last two and so in reduced mode may use more battery than a 4 core.

Anonymous Coward

Sounds annoying

I think I would turn off all these great new features immediately. They would be worthless or worse based on my usage patterns. First of all, I don't know what good hover is. The only times I hover on something is when either I'm not sure I want to tap on it, in which case I would be royally pissed if it got tapped while I was trying to decide, or if I'm getting ready to tap something, so, same. Then the eye tracking so that videos get paused. Utterly worthless. When I put a video on my phone it's because I'm trying to show it to somebody else and I typically set my phone between us. I doubt the camera would be able to pick up anybody looking at the device in that situation and then we would have to go through hoops to unpause the video. (Was pressing the pause button on a video really such a hardship...?)

Dammit, and there's Samsung forcing you to buy the phone.

If you don't like the feature set maybe buy something else, it`s called choice and is why my mother has a Nokia 100, which is nice as I don't have to explain how it works.

Anonymous Coward

Re: What do you use the "hover gesture" for?

It's a comment thread and I'm throwing in my two cents. That's what comment threads are for.

and I'm commenting on your comment. Keep this up and we'll have a conversation!

Meh

IR - Yay!

Awesome... I'll dig out my Palm V and transfer all my old contacts :D

Anonymous Coward

Message from the sponsors: Oy, Smith!

you WATCH this advert, or we'll cut off your oxygen supply, starting in ten... nine, eight... there, good lad!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums