back to article Review: Toshiba Satellite U920T Ultrabook

Whatever you might think about Windows 8, when it comes to taking the top down on the new ranges of convertible laptops, it’s certainly not boring. Every single one I’ve encountered so far has a different take on how to make the laptop-tablet duo dance work and Toshiba’s Satellite U920T Ultrabook offers yet another approach. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: I tried it, finally Repeat-

So you know about GEORGE or VME/B from ICL?

I don't have to be older than you for my claim to be very likely correct, I merely need to be not an American IBMer.

My list also includes RSX, RSTS/E, VMS and the rest of the Digital family of which you likely are aware. I did MVS and VSE as well as the S/34 and S/36 early in my career. Then there was WangVS which was OK for its time. How about PRIMOS which had the most defective COBOL compiler in Christendom and was bad in so many other ways? Then there was MPE, another OK effort.

Great, you a few years older than me. Your commentary about Windows 8 relative to me is still drivel though. The Metro interface looks cute, but is window dressing (pun intended) that actually gets in the way, and that is an egregious design error for a UI. It may be here to stay, but as it stands now, it is a schizo freak and a right royal pain to set up and use.

FWIW, my heir ditched Windows for OSX before puberty and hasn't felt the inclination to change in adulthood.

ps: BAL is still in demand (bizarrely enough), so you can supplement your pension cutting code

1. aqk
      Thumb Down

Re: I tried it, finally

WP8? You mean WordPerfect-8?

Yeah, I suppose that would be typical of the old geezers here railing against Win-8...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I tried it, finally

WP8 seems to be the standard abbreviation for Windows Phone 8 in these forums.

Please do try to keep up.

1. Tom 38
    FAIL

Costs over a grand and has shittier cameras than the original iphone.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows 8 might not be going away

...but it's not coming here either. Much like Millennium and Vista, this looks like one to wait out...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Too bad it's a Toshiba

And too bad it's Windows 8

4. Dropper
    Devil

Windows 8 Won't Stay Either

In times past, with DOS 4, Windows ME and Vista, IT departments just used the clause built into OS licensing that allows them to downgrade a license to the previous version. This can just as easily be done with Windows 8 and if Microsoft have changed this they risk killing new government and corporate PC sales altogether.

Having said that vendors are more than just a little bit desperate to keep or even gain large business contracts. They will bend over backwards to give large customers what they want and if that means pissing off MS by imaging hard disks with Windows 7, they wouldn't give two shits in a barrell. No salesman worth his salt is going to be so thin skinned that he will won't use whatever edge he can to get a large order. If we asked him to piss down Balmer's throat shouting "Windows 8 is fucking shite", he'd probably do that too if it meant a foothold somewhere with the potential of selling 10,000+ PCs on 3-4 year life cycle.

5. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Some fast talking salesman managed to get my boss to take a couple of Win8 laptops to replace 'old fashioned' desktops while I was away on holiday. Fortunately one of the other guys stepped in and prevented them from taking out my development machine. Anyway, I tried really hard to get some usability out of the -ing things, doing some web surfing and note taking, but eventually gave up in disgust. Boss was severely miffed but remained silent (possibly noticed the steam coming out of my ears).

1. aqk
      Thumb Down

Well!

From you lack of inquisitiveness, and an inability to quickly figure things out, as well as somewhat of a closed mind, where do you think you'll be in 3 years? Still running your Vista or XP?

I certainly would not hire you.

You gonna wait for "Blue" or wotever it's called? It will only get worse you know....

6. gizmo23
    WTF?

How to judge Win 8 popularity

Take one normal work laptop and replace it with a Win 8 laptop without telling the support techie who uses that laptop. Stand to one side and count the number of times you hear "WTF!?" in response to something the new shiny Win 8 install does or doesn't do. If that number is less than a dozen in the first 20 minutes, be amazed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How to judge Win 8 popularity

I really don't get the IT guy trait for avoiding learning anything new.

Oh, and don't say "I'm happy to learn, but only when it's an advancement" because it's not true, many IT guys form their opinions and stick to them regardless of any actual facts. See Linux vs Windows flamewars for evidence.

As far as I'm concerned, the more I know the better, I don't just dump something because it's different, I consider it a personal strength.

1. JDX Gold badge

How true. So many people deliberately won't learn how to use the bloody Ribbon so they can complain it's too difficult, while their parents struggle for an hour or two and then get on with it.

1. Tom 38
          FAIL

So many people deliberately won't learn how to use the bloody Ribbon so they can complain it's too difficult

No, like me, they have progressed beyond living their life in Office suites. As a result, if you change the interface for no reason other than to spruce it up in order to sell new licences, then you can no longer expect these people to be au fait with your new interface.

Before, even if you don't use Office, it was easy enough to support newbie office users, since the interface is so straightforward. I've not used Word since Word 97, but can still guide someone around adding a graph or a table in Word 2003, but in Word 2007, not a scooby.

From your POV, this is my fault for not wanting to rush out and buy a copy of Windows and Office 2007. Yeah...

7. Will Godfrey Silver badge

You're right. I won't bother with the ribbon interface. I'm far too busy learning new SOC architectures and their IDEs.

8. Dana W

Cancer isn't going away either, but I'd as soon not buy any.

1. 1Rafayal

Doesnt stop people from buying cigs though, does it?

9. ecofeco Silver badge

Anyone Remember ME?

Even Windoze Millennium eventually went away.

Oh, and a 1K laptop? Pass. (and I like Toshibas)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like