back to article US insurer punts 'bestiality' to wide-eyed kiddies, gasp 'mums'

US insurance outfit Geico has incurred the wrath of campaigning group One Million Moms for punting a "disgusting bestiality" agenda at wide-eyed kiddies. In an advert for the Geico's mobile phone roadside assistance app, the company's porcine mascot Maxwell "and a young female are in a parked car on a lover's lane", as One …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Rukario
      Childcatcher

Re: The gecko lives

Yes a talking serpent, before it was "cursed" to "crawl" on its belly.

Smugleaf.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. You Are Not Free

Good

I encourage more of this, maybe then people will start to realise what absolute fucking subversive garbage we routinely expose our kids to.

1. Swarthy
      Thumb Up

Re: Good

I fully realize the subversive garbage we subject our kids to. In fact, I make it a point to give them a lot of subversive material. Currently I am introducing my boy to Animaniacs.

3. Moktu

Obviously

An organisation of people, with too much time on their hands. They should try procrasturbation or just "getting a life"

And I can't let a thread about Geico go by without indulging.... "hmmmm Miss Geico"

1. James 36
      Pint

Re: Obviously

procrasturbation - is that passing time by w**king ?

beer whether it was deliberate or accident

4. taxman
    Happy

Atmospheric picture

So has the pig farted or has she realised she's with a minor? Either way the pig looks contented.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Yet "men are (still) pigs"?

Even my gf sometimes jokingly uses that phrase whenever she's over and I left some laundry in my bedroom instead of the laundry basket near the washing machine, or when its really time to clean the sink while I figured I'd do that "next week"...

So what do those "One Million Moms" think about that ? Have they never called us men pigs, ever ?

But to join in on the stereotyping a bit; I wonder how many of those moms are blond. Because for all we know this insurance company took their own insurance on this project and were actually hoping that they'd stir the pot. Because thanks to them, and "One Million Moms" of course, now One Million Reg Readers have also taken notice of this commercial.

Mission accomplished!

(because ask yourself this: what would be the sole purpose of a controversial commercial ?)

1. sisk

Re: Yet "men are (still) pigs"?

because ask yourself this: what would be the sole purpose of a controversial commercial ?

In this case, I'd say the purpose was to be funny. It probably never occurred to them to think that someone might be oversensitive enough to be offended by it.

6. Monkey Bob
    Meh

Broke out the popcorn, clicked to the comments...

And not a single "squeal piggie" or porking punchline.

Shameful, commentards, absolutely shameful.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Broke out the popcorn, clicked to the comments...

Presumably the moms would prefer a pig on a spit scenario?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

Spit-roasting the pig, THAT would get their backs up!!!!

(If done correctly)

(snigger)

Dirty mac - OBVIOUSLY!!!!!

2. Thomas 4

Is this what Shakespeare was harping on about when he made that comment about "The Beast With Two Backs"?

1. Tubs

@ Thomas 4

Mmmmmh

Back bacon

<drools>

2. Michael Dunn
        Headmaster

Is this what Shakespeare was harping on about when he made that comment about "The Beast With Two Backs"

I think you'll find that was Plato!

3. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How about this one then...

There's a bestiality competition on at the local town hall.

I'm going to enter the cat!

7. Openminded Cynic
    Angel

Double Standards!

So one million mothers are all up in arms with the prospect that the pig might pork the young lady but they're absolutely fine with him owning his own car and driving it. When it comes down to it the pigs intentions were, if a little naive, nothing but honorable. He's driven her up there for a romantic night in his classic VW cabriolet to do nothing more than look at the stars. We could probably conclude that he has a pretty good job to own such a car and is an upright pillar of the community. It's no wonder the young lady was seeking some corkscrew action, our truffle finding protagonist is obviously quite a catch in todays society. One million mothers need to realise that america needs more VW owning, nice guy pigs, they should be celebrated not condemed for they are the future!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Double Standards!

> our truffle finding protagonist

Awesome, just awesome. That made me titter.

1. A Long Fellow
        Headmaster

Only female pigs are used to search out truffles, because the truffle smells like the saliva of a male pig.

So it's unlikely this gentlepig would ever find a truffle, unless he's gay -- which would explain both his behaviour and the young lady's dismay.

2. PT

Corkscrew action, fnarr fnarr. Plus 1.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can anyone explain

How sex with a beast is different to sex with an American?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can anyone explain

The beasts are not quite as fat.

1. DrXym

Nor can you purchase elasticated jeans for beasts.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The breasts are real

1. Danny 14

they can be turned into bacon when you break up.

9. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Holmes

'Right-minded'

equals, presumably, 'people who think like me'?

1. VaalDonkie

Re: 'Right-minded'

Well, of course. Why would anyone hold a personal view that they deem "wrong-minded"?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Because, just because.

2. Rukario

The opposite of 'right-minded' is 'left-minded'.

10. AlbertH
    Mushroom

Entirely Typical

The stupid complaining about the silly.

The Yanks really haven't got a clue. They're steeped in stupid religions, teach crap like creationism to their children and insist on the "right" of everyone to carry sidearms.They're just another version of the Middle Eastern bigots.

Just stupid.

1. VaalDonkie
      Angel

Re: Entirely Typical

How's that secular, gun-free utopia that is Britain working out for you?

1. Psyx
        Thumb Up

"How's that secular, gun-free utopia that is Britain working out for you?"

Pretty fucking good, ta!

1. James Hughes 1

Yup, OK for me too.

2. sisk

How's that secular, gun-free utopia that is Britain working out for you?

Actually Britain is a statistical anomaly. Low gun ownership rates usually correlates to high murder rates at the national level, but somehow they manage a low murder rate in spite of their low gun ownership rate. I'm not sure I'd call it a utopia, but they're doing SOMETHING (that likely has nothing to do with guns) right. I strongly suspect the 'something right' is more social than legal.

1. Psyx
          Trollface

"Actually Britain is a statistical anomaly. Low gun ownership rates usually correlates to high murder rates at the national level, but somehow they manage a low murder rate in spite of their low gun ownership rate. I'm not sure I'd call it a utopia, but they're doing SOMETHING (that likely has nothing to do with guns) right. I strongly suspect the 'something right' is more social than legal."

Maybe it's the police not routinely having firearms either that does it. After all: We're nearly unique in that factor.

*stands back and waits for explosion*

1. sisk

Maybe it's the police not routinely having firearms either that does it. After all: We're nearly unique in that factor.

I doubt that, but I'll admit it's a possibility. Maybe when I get the time I'll look at some of the other anomalies in that particular set of statistics (like Sweden) and see if they have that in common with you. However I still think that the largest contributing factors to your low murder rate are going to be social, or possibly economic (I think, but I'm not sure, that you also have an extremely low poverty rate over there), and have absolutely nothing to do with guns or the lack thereof.

1. Psyx
              Pint

"I doubt that, but I'll admit it's a possibility. Maybe when I get the time I'll look at some of the other anomalies in that particular set of statistics (like Sweden) and see if they have that in common with you. However I still think that the largest contributing factors to your low murder rate are going to be social, or possibly economic (I think, but I'm not sure, that you also have an extremely low poverty rate over there), and have absolutely nothing to do with guns or the lack thereof."

Define 'poverty rate'. We have plenty of 'poor' people, but ultimately there are safety nets there to stop most people being so poor that violent crime is the only alternative. We have a healthcare system that doesn't let mentally ill people go uncared for, or charges them more than they can afford for medication. We have a higher education system and social aid for youths that doesn't simply turn them out on the streets at 18. And we have a criminal justice system that is sufficiently 'soft' on non-violent crime to ensure that no burglar or petty criminal in their right mind would consider trying to get hold of a firearm or resort to lethal force in order to avoid arrest.

Say what you like about left-leaning social policies, but they do at least stop most of the people at the bottom of the pile from turning to lethal force. Take away those last-chances for the poor and deranged and you're left with desperate people with nothing to lose.

I'm pretty sure that the lack of easily accessible point-and-click corpse-making devices has a fair bit to do with it too though. A lot of causes are socio-economic and cultural, but the UK is probably socially closer to the US than 90% of nations on this planet.

1. sisk

I'm pretty sure that the lack of easily accessible point-and-click corpse-making devices has a fair bit to do with it too though

As I mentioned before, there's a very strong correlation between high gun ownership rates and low murder rates on the national level. That's why I don't thank your gun policy has much to do with it. Even here, where there's a gun and a half for everyone in the nation, guns are only the 3rd most common murder weapon (knives and blunt objects are numbers one and two). If you count drunk drivers who kill someone as murderers (the law does in some states) then guns drop to number 4.

But I think you might have nailed it there. Here, and in most other parts of the world, it's not difficult for someone to become so poor that they have to steal their next meal. Also we have the rather annoying habit of tossing teens who got caught shoplifting a CD into the same juvenile detention facility as hardened gangbangers. That probably doesn't help matters. And, frankly, our foster care system is a freaking nightmare. The stories my wife can tell from having grown up in foster care are truly horrifying (but then her stories from before the foster care system are even worse).

As for healthcare, hell I'm comfortably in the middle class and medical bills can be a burden for me here. Even just having a baby is prohibitively expensive here. I'm not talking about feeding and caring for them. I'm talking about the $5k that it costs to have a doctor there to play catch. I can't imagine trying to pay medical bills on half of what I make (or less!).

The UK and the US are pretty close, both socially and politically, but the few differences between us are massive ones.

3. Jamie Jones Silver badge
        FAIL

"How's that secular, gun-free utopia that is Britain working out for you?"

Also great for me too..

But here's another thing about many Americans. If you dare criticise anything to do with America, they automatically assume that we are saying that Britain is "best". It's that jingoistic attitude they are brought up with, such as their sickenly over-patriotic allegiance to the flag crap they do everyday in school.

I think life in Britain is much better than life in America for many different reasons (I have many close American friends). Do I think Britain is the best place to live?

No - I am ready to admit and confront our problems, and not bury my head in the sand,. Secondly, I'm not arrogant to make such a statement when I know very little about the vast majority of countries in the world.

2. Michael Dunn
      FAIL

" teach crap like creationism to their children" hey, shouldn't the million moms be protesting about that? Stultification of their offspring?

11. Evil Auditor Silver badge
    WTF?

BBQ!

How can those filthy-minded moms think of bestiality?!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: BBQ!

...as in pig on a spit?

12. Peter Simpson 1
    Childcatcher

Disturbing

That there are a million moms offended by this stupid commercial.

//men are pigs, but are pigs men?

1. TheRealRoland
      Happy

Re: Disturbing

>men are pigs, but are pigs men?

No, they don't carry around guns and don't drive trucks to prove they da man...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Disturbing

There aren't really a million moms in One Million Moms. It's a name intended to get in the papers by being misleading.

They number a few hundred and spend most of their time calling for boycotts of companies who employ gays as I remember it.

13. tkioz
    Facepalm

With all the things that are actually wrong in the world... they decide to spend their energy on this bollocks?

Bloody Americans...

1. Peter Simpson 1
      Unhappy

Bloody Americans

Hey!

Not all of us!

Some of us have lived to other countries, read and listen to media other than CNN, FOX or the local "Top 40" station, and are a tad embarassed about our country's behaviour on the world stage. But we're outnumberd...by a million moms who spend their time worrying about the quality of our TV commercials (which, I admit, are not up to the quality of those shown in the rest of the world). Some of the best commercials I've seen would cause rioting in the streets if shown on US TV.

We're trying, but it's an Sisyphean task...

1. Psyx
        Happy

Re: Bloody Americans

"worrying about the quality of our TV commercials (which, I admit, are not up to the quality of those shown in the rest of the world). "

Take heart though: Quantity has a quality all of its own.

2. sisk

Re: Bloody Americans

But we're outnumberd...

We're not THAT outnumbered. At least not as outnumbered as it seems. The volume with which an American spews their rant is inversely proportional to their intelligence, so the dumb ones are a lot louder than those of us with more than rocks between our ears.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like