back to article Unwearable tech: Five ways IT garb's gone HORRIBLY WRONG

The Chocolate Factory has the technology for its Google Glass locked down in a patent but it has to collaborate with fashion retailer Warby Parker to make its artificial eye tech look cool, says the New York Times. The augmented reality spectacles are supposed to change the world, but currently they look too dorky to catch on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Psyx
            Thumb Up

Re: Psyx All the comments....

"I want AntandDec to be fitted with these - still no idea which one"

The only way that I can tell is because Ant is the one who always stands on the left as you look at them.

Always.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/180-degree_rule

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Psyx All the comments....

I hate you - that article mentioned those two twin morons with stupid hair! I had managed to wipe them from my mind!

1. Pet Peeve
    Facepalm

I will probably buy a set of these if they figure out how to balance them and make them minimally intrusive. I like glasses, and don't mind wearing them at all.

What I'm wondering is if they can have prescription lenses, or if I have to finally get around to gettling LASIK first.

1. Monty Burns

You're OK

You need to look up the current Explorer edition which allows lenses to be attached, although at the moment just Google built ones I believe. Google are working on a "framework" (Don't know if pun intended or not) that manufacturers can adapt too, so the hope is you can use the lenses of your choice.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wearable motherboards

Surely a wearable motherboard would have, erm, extra double-bus expansion at the front.

Perhaps the image is of a early beta daughter-board :-)

Also, would this give rise to a new MILF acronym? Motherboards I Like to ...Fry

3. graeme leggett Silver badge

Error?

Bionic vision pioneer Steve Mann Austin - fixed that for you

4. Alan Brown Silver badge

There's a reason that external tech wearers are dubbed "gargoyles" in Gibson's stories...

5. Minophis
    WTF?

Wearable tech hmmmmmm.

I found myself a bit torn when it comes to Google Glass. Part of me thinks it's really cool and part of me thinks that the only thing it can do that my phone can't is make people point and laugh at me. I don't think I would want to go out wearing it until it had been around long enough to be considered normal, which might take a while.

The main problem with wearable tech (apart from making you look like a weirdo) is that it seems to be a solution in search of a problem. I can't think of a single practical use that I would have for it.

1. Minophis

Wearable tech hmmmmmm. 2

If anyone is interested in makeing their own wearable tech Adafruit make a cool line of in house designed Arduino compatable wearbale devices that can be sewn together with conductive thread. They call it Flora.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/659

Much cooler if you make it yourself :-)

2. Psyx
      Thumb Up

Re: Wearable tech hmmmmmm.

They won't laugh if you're running a Smartgun link...

6. Gordan

Before Google Glass There Was Eyetop

Some 10 years ago or so, there was a stylish looking device called "Eyetop". It was essentially a pair of moderately stylish sunglasses with a built in screen you could see out of a corner of your eye. It had composite analogue AV input. It was fairly unobtrusive, but if you wanted to use it with a computer you need a VGA->TV adapter and a small laptop (back then the choice was probably a Sony Vaio PCG-U1 or U3). Google have essentially done the same thing with next to no improvements, other than bundling an Android computer into it (no difficult feat these days), and priced it outrageously high for what it is considering the technology has hardly changed.

7. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    FAIL

If you go in to McDonalds

Then you need to be beaten up anyway for being a chav / ned.

8. Tony Paulazzo
    Gimp

@ $1500 a pop, any nerd out in the real world wearing Google Goggles will be mugged within 15 minutes of leaving their safe zone.

Unfortunately, crap dammit! I still want a pair.

9. Champ

I'm one of those horribly smug people with a Pebble watch. This is the way wearable computing will become mainstream.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.