back to article SimCity Classic

Doughnuts. Doughnuts are what I think of when someone mentions SimCity in my vicinity. Not because I used to cram them into my face, Homer Simpson-style, while I played, but rather because, back in my childhood, I was obsessed with arranging my own ‘simmed’ city in perfect concentric 'doughnuts'. Squares in three-by-three …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This was, and still is, an awesome game. I never got into the other "Sim" knockoffs, except "SimLife".

Their goal was to integrate all Simgames into one large Sim. Thought that was pretty cool.

2. John70

SimCity

The new SimCity is out 5th March: http://www.simcity.com/

Shame you have to be online to play it and the game will become useless if and when EA shuts down the servers.

3. Herby

Wonderful game you have there...

...Now if it had any relation to "reality" it would be nice. Politicians need some expertise in managing a population. What happens if you take the view of a dictator, and fight wars to gain territory? If you take the view that giving out government funds will get you re-elected.

Now that would be an interesting simulation that our government here in the USA needs to try its hand in! It would be a cheap lesson.

1. david 12 Silver badge

Now if it had any relation to "reality" it would be nice.

You probably never saw simHealth. The version brought out in conjunction with a health lobby group, to demonstrate the effects of different Health Funding models. Predates ObamaCare.

4. Anthony Hulse

Funny how you remember this sort of stuff...

My donuts used to be on a 5 blocks high by 4 across layout. Each donut would be made up of either all industrial or a mix of commercial and residential blocks and have either a police or fire station in the middle surrounded by those little park squares. Three squares distance would separate each donut, with the centre square of the three holding a railway which only touched each block once to connect it. A gap would be left somewhere in the donut to connect the fire or police station. Lots of gardens in the rest of the space if it wasn't forest already, to keep the property prices up.

No roads, which meant no traffic problems and low maintenance costs, allowing the city to grow quickly. Worked really well. The river/coastline bit gave you the space to put your airport, stadium etc. without interrupting the repeating pattern.

Very addictive game that. Once I even stayed up all night playing it, then fell asleep on the bus on the way into town a couple of hours later :-)

5. Zc456
    Thumb Up

My little half-brother adores Micropolis, and love the entire SimCity franchise as is, except 2000 - could never truly wrap my head around the UI.

6. RAMChYLD
    Pint

Don't you mean, two missteps?

What about that-game-which-never-existed, SimCity Societies?

Sorry that I should bring it up and anger those who think the game is better forgotten tho.

7. virhunter

I played this on the Super Nintendo, now sometimes on an emulator. Personally, SC2000 was my favourite. Arcologies were a very cool concept and the constant references to llamas were pretty amusing. I can't say I cared as much for the sequels, but they were okay.

8. streaky
    Black Helicopters

SimCopter

SimCopter was pure bone fide epicness. Import your city, fly around putting out fires and stuff? Come on, how can you beat that?

9. ReefMSX

I used to love SimCity although I came to it rather late, I think it was SimCity 2000 I first played. Recently I learned that Maxis had updated it and were planning to launch the new version this year. I got excited and did a little digging. That's when excitement turned to disappointment. First I discovered EA's involvement, typically they ruin classic games and second I found out that you only get half the game on the disc. The rest is tucked away on EA's servers meaning you MUST have an always-on, high speed data connection. Oh and your save-games are stored online too.

There are many other things about the release that Maxis/EA have confirmed and people are already complaining about.

But as I said, EA = Games Ruined. Part of me thinks that EA does it on purpose so that 'little' companies like Maxis go under and can be bought out cheaply for the copyrights.

1. streaky
      Paris Hilton

"Part of me thinks that EA does it on purpose so that 'little' companies like Maxis go under and can be bought out cheaply for the copyrights"

EA already has ownership of Maxis and they're not little.

The good news, EA have behaved in a standard publisher fashion with the reboot as far as I can tell, expect much DLC but don't implicitly expect a nerfed, broken game like the new MoH.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like