Feeds

back to article iPad? Pah. Behold the EYEPAD, patented by Sony for the 'PS4'

Sony has filed for a patent in Europe on the EyePad, a fondleslab with glowing edges that could be a controller for the PlayStation 4. The fresh paperwork, which was published this month after Sony submitted it last July, "is typically a panel, tablet or slab-like device comprising one or more illuminated regions, two …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

I've had an Eyepad for ages...

http://hexus.net/gaming/reviews/hardware/4446-mouse-mat-group-test/?page=4

Great mat.

WTF?

wtf?

Again i'm reading about possible PS4 toys, which seem like a 1 on 1 copy from the pad used by the WiiU.

Why am i yet to read about the Microsoft Illumiroom? Which imho is going to be a gamechanging feature?

For gods sake, i don't want to read about Sony making crap copies of Nintendo gear, i want to read about things that are actually new.

Silver badge

Re: wtf?

"Why am i yet to read about the Microsoft Illumiroom? Which imho is going to be a gamechanging feature?"

I had to Google that. I'm afraid I'm less than impressed.

I agree that it's going to be a game changer though. It'll change games that were otherwise enjoyable into silly light shows.

Meh

Re: wtf?

I've shared this information with pretty much all my gamer friends and they're all very possitive about it, so i'm going to attribute your negative comment to you being a sourpuss.

You are literally the first person to not be impressed, so i'm afraid your opinion doesn't mean anything to me in this case.

Silver badge
Unhappy

Re: "You are literally the first person to not be impressed

so your opinion doesn't mean anything."

I'm just following the flock.

Like Sony following after Nintendo...

FAIL

It's passing off, obviously, but

It's passing off, obviously, but what better way to stand in the shadow of the company that beat you in the market, than by mimicking one of their figurehead trademarks as a lame semi-joke?

Someone at Sony isn't thinking straight.

Silver badge

Re: It's passing off, obviously, but

Remember, a patent application is no sure indication of future products. Developing products requires some experimentation, implying you create some concepts that probably won't work out- but still, there is no harm in applying for a patent on these 'also ran' concepts. The cost of making the application is small enough that it is worth hedging your bets,

MJI
Silver badge

Re: Eye <> square root of -1

The word eye is not the same as i.

Silver badge

I only hope...

That this will be an accessory and won't replace the dual-shock controller; I just love that critter. You get a lot of controls at your fingertips and quite frankly the force feedback in that thing never stops to amaze me (provided its put to good use of course; some games excel in this, while others fail miserably).

Silver badge

Re: I only hope...

It won't replace the Dualshock- is a venerable design indeed. I had a book, 'Digital Dreams: The Work of the Sony Design Studio' that showed dozens of foam mock-ups of conceptual PS controllers, of which the Dualshock is a variation. The design that they eventually used was very similar to one of the first they created.

Since the Bluetooth Dualshock can be persuaded to work with Android or Windows with software (ironically, the XBOX wireless controller requires a proprietry dongle for PCs) Sony should aim it (or a more compact design, as SteelSeries have) at the mobile gaming crowd rather than promote its Playstation-branded phones.

Anonymous Coward

Obligatory Hawk the Slayer reference

See how it glooooows!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORXmKxe-iHk

Silver badge

Re: Obligatory Hawk the Slayer reference

Hawk the Slayer's rubbish!

Happy

I can see the Apple Legal Eagles Preparing the lawsuit from here

It has a screen, is square, with slightly rounded edges. A blatant infringement.

This is just Sonys initial spec to get the headlines

By the time it comes out it will have been reduced to the back of an envelope that a bank statement came in, half a crayon and a sachet of mayonaise cadged from Weatherspoons.

Mushroom

Looks like they are copying Nintendo again just like they did with the Wii remote (move). Which is funny has they dismissed both of the ideas saying they where not going to work.

MJI
Silver badge

Move research started AFAIR in 2000

As to pad - more likely to use Vita for that.

Most likely preemptive patenting

Devil

While this is amusing, the product itself is from Sony and who in the hell wants to rent, er, I mean 'buy' anything at all from them

Joke

Depends where it's made

If you crossed the Wii controller with the new PS4 controller and it was made in a factory on the Tyne would it be known as the why eye pad? Apple's legal team could have a lie in with that one.

Anonymous Coward

So...these Eye Toys

they are made in Japan, yes......just asking :-)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.