Feeds

back to article HYPERSONIC METEOR smashes into Russia, injuring hundreds

Up to 500 people* are believed to be injured after a meteorite blazed through the sky and smashed into central Russia this morning. The space rock, estimated by the Russian Academy of Sciences to weigh 10 tonnes, hit the atmosphere at a speed of at least 54,000km/h and is believed to have shattered around 30 to 50 km above …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Cue the orb

(earth orbit two) "Earth (Gaia)" (A. Paterson/K. Weston) – 9:48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MR62N14H3Y

Pint

Re: "Seemingly there is no reason for these extraordinary intergalactic upsets...

More likely Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz has blown some snot out of his nose so fast it has overtaken his ship and got here first.

Beer because it is Friday.

Bronze badge

As D.A.M. hinted

A bit of a coincidence, it landing on the home of Russias nuclear program and the most radioactive place on earth (thanks to at least 3 Chernobyl or bigger sized accidents).

Until recently, Chelyabinsk's Doctors were not allowed to put cancer as cause of death !!

Bronze badge
Facepalm

Re: As D.A.M. hinted

Generally cancer is not normally the cause of death is it? Organ failure tends to be the cause of death - cancer just causes the organ failure. I've always found it very inconsistent what they write down sometimes as the cause of death - for instance:

My dad died of a heart attack, but while trying to give him mouth to mouth - he had some toast stuck in his throat - so the likely conclusion was that he choked and that caused a heart attack. His cause of death was a heart attack (not choking). In Hollyoaks Esther was at risk of death from renal failure - had she died - they would of classed the cause of death as renal failure and not "bullying" which caused the renal failure.

So as you can see - cancer causing organ failure should therefore not be listed as the cause of death - the cause of death is organ failure.

Anonymous Coward

Re: the cause of death is organ failure

And the cause of organ failure is ...

You might as well say the cause of any death is cardiopulmonary arrest.

Silver badge

The cause of organ failure is living.

Silver badge

organs can also fail if you hit the keys too hard

I always thought that everyone dies of the same thing...lack of oxygen to the brain.

Silver badge
Trollface

Not if you die from hyperoxia.

Anonymous Coward

Re: As D.A.M. hinted

The Farce is strong with this one. Try looking at the map.

Vic
Silver badge

> Not if you die from hyperoxia.

Yes, even if you "die from hyperoxia".

There are two main types of hyperoxia - the Lorraine Smith effect and the Paul Bert effect.

The Lorraine Smith effect basically causes the lungs to give up. So even though there's loads of O2 in yuor lungs, there's very little in your brain.

The Paul Bert effect causes fitting. It's not excessively dangerous unless the fit causes other problems - the most commonplace, I believe, being loss of breathing apparatus underwater. There's also other possibilities, such as head injuries resulting from the fit. All of these cause a lack of oxygen being delivered to the brain (possibly because of a lack of blood being delivered to the brain).

So yes - nice quip, but not actually true...

Vic.

Silver badge

Can any Russian-speaker here provide the gist of what was being in the car in the first video? The man sounded so very calm about what he was witnessing. My reaction would have been along the line of "Wha duh fu?!"

Silver badge

The gist

What the fu*k is that? What kind of fu*king meteorite is this? Fu*k me. Unfu*kingbelievable. Fu*king incredible.

And so on and so forth along the same line...

Re: The gist

Sounded to me like they were discussing breakfast, or last night's football!

Another day, another meteorite...

Silver badge

Re: The gist

Thanks.

Not a meterorite

1. The trajectory across the sky was almost horizontal. It should have been vertical.

2. It could be seen to be moving. If it truly was from space then it would be travelling at kms per second.

3. While it would leave some vapour contrail, there was too much smoky contrail left undispersing in the sky.

It was a plane.

Silver badge

Re: Not a meterorite

LOLNO. Vertical? WHY? Not moving? WHY?? No contrail? WHY???

More physics, my dear friend.

Anonymous Coward

Eadon, is that you?

Waiting for blame to be handed to Microsoft.

Silver badge

Of course it was a plane! A nukular chem-trail dispersing illuminati luxury airbus - eat dirt, you bastards!

Bronze badge

Trajectory - vertical would mean that it was aimed directly at the centre of the Earth from a very, very, very long way away. Horizontal means it skimmed it (more likely with a space object) and was caught in its gravity. You said the word yourself - TRAJECTORY. A straight trajectory in any direction around a gravity-pulling mass is very suspicious indeed.

Perspective. You have no idea how far up it is, nor what speed it was doing. As a human, you can't judge 20-40mph by a (silent) car that passes in front of you. You could TAP the car at the right time, but you can't tell how fast it was going. Or else we'd need no speed cameras. As you get further away, the effect of your judgement gets worse. Planes fly at hundreds of miles per hour but sometimes you can barely see them move. By comparison, I was literally chasing Jupiter around the eyepiece of my telescope last night because it wouldn't stay fixed for more than a few seconds and I didn't have my equatorial mount set up correctly.

Vapour contrail? Who says its vapour? And, even then, a plane leaves a contrail due to the exhaust heat (and sometimes just the movement of the air over an aerofoil), not because of what it burns. I'm guessing something travelling fast enough to break up rock in the atmosphere might get a little warmer than a plane's exhaust. It's literally boiling the water in the atmosphere as it comes in.

Please, please, please... before you run off on mad conspiracy theories, check your facts. Go on Wikipedia, for a start, and look at what forms a contrail, why it would look like that, etc. Presenting "facts" like this just makes you look an idiot.

Silver badge
Trollface

"Should have been vertical". You must be a troll. No-one can be that thick around here, surely?

Almost horizontal means that its intersect with the Earth just clipped our atmosphere. Dumped most of its energy at a decent altitude. Bloody good thing too. If that had come in much closer to vertical it would have been far more destructive of whatever was underneath.

Silver badge
Holmes

Not to mention that, even if the thing was coming in exactly vertical, you and the ground you're standing on are whizzing past at almost 1700 km/h due to the Earth's rotation (OK, maybe a little slower in Russia, but still...), which would skew the apparent trail quite a bit.

Silver badge

@Matthew Smith

I do hope you're trolling. I could spend the time to refute your post, but you are literally too stupid to challenge.

Facepalm

This is what History Channel is doing to us! Won't someone think of the children!

Silver badge
Mushroom

It's literally boiling the water in the atmosphere as it comes in.

A masterly understatement. It's literally boiling the iron or whatever that it's made of. It's probably going past that, all the way to plasma. Afterwards, the iron, silicon, whatever condenses (as oxide, mostly) and hence the thick trail.

If you watch the car footage you can actually see the trail appearing to burn for a few seconds. I expect that's a Nitrogen - Oxygen fire, or possibly or additionally an Oxygen - Iron fire if the meteor was iron.

One of the worries prior to testing the first nuclear bomb was that it would ignite an (exothermic) Oxygen - Nitrogen combustion, that some thought might propagate to consume the Earth's entire atmosphere and everything living therein. I wonder if someone else pointed out that were that possible, a meteor strike would have done it long ago? Or did they just chance it?

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: Not a meterorite@Nigel 11

""Should have been vertical". You must be a troll. No-one can be that thick around here, surely?"

They most certainly can. For example the general calibre of comment on anything that has a US political or nationalistic element is always absolutely dire. I want separate forums for Reg comments. Mandatory membership of the US commentard forum for all the Yanks + Eadon and his ilk, and "Rest of World" for everybody else, where we generally have normal ratios of idiots to normal people.

Bronze badge
Trollface

Re: Ledswinger

Was going to post a thoughtful response, but to be fair, I shall use language more appropriate to the situation:

Fuck You.

;)

This post has been deleted by its author

Bronze badge
Facepalm

Of course it was, dear boy!

That's exactly why everyone living under Heathrow approach have to replace their window when a plane goes past. About 300 times a day. Glaziers must be happy!

Oh, FFS, Matthew.

Forehead, meet palm.

Silver badge
FAIL

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11500373 - 323 USA nobel prizes to the UKs 117.

Now correct that for the number of inhabitants per country.

US: slightly under 1 per million.

UK: about 1.8 per million

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

I hate people who make generalisations about people - them and the Belgians

Silver badge

However - extending the same statistics to just Cambridgeshire suggests that people from East Anglia are the brainiest in the world

Silver badge

>US: slightly under 1 per million.

>UK: about 1.8 per million

Might have something to do with European bias from the Scandinavian selectors. The better question may be to look at the nationality of the universities they went to and taught at instead. UK is pretty solid in this regard also. Still by the nobel per capita measure you do get a pretty funky list in general. The only thing that stands out is the lack of muslim countries on the top of list.

— Faroe Islands 1 49,483 202.090

01 Saint Lucia 2 162,178 123.321

02 Luxembourg 2 509,074 39.287

03 Iceland 1 313,183 31.930

04 Sweden 29 9,103,788 31.855

05 Switzerland 25 7,925,517 31.544

06 Denmark 14 5,543,453 25.255

07 Austria 20 8,219,743 24.332

08 Norway 11 4,707,270 23.368

09 United Kingdom 119 63,047,162 18.875

10 Timor-Leste 2 1,143,667 17.488

11 Ireland 7 4,722,028 14.824

12 Israel 10 7,590,758 13.174

13 Germany 103 81,305,856 12.668

14 Netherlands 19 16,730,632 11.356

15 United States 338 314,976,000 10.731

Silver badge

@Lee D: Re: Not a meterorite

Presenting "facts" like this just makes you look an idiot.

Erm, why shouldn't he make himself look like an idiot when he clearly is one?

Anonymous Coward

Supersonic alien chemtrails!

A brand new conspiracy theory has landed.

Mushroom

Russians - hard as nails, not fazed at all

Anyone else noticed that in all the videos we've seen of this, neither pedestrians or drivers seem at all fazed by the sight of a massive fireball screaming across the sky.

In the vid here in the story, couple of people shuffling across the road, briefly glance up at it, carry on shuffling. And while I don't speak Russian, the people in the car seem extremely calm, no raised voices screaming "какого хрена это?!?!?!?!?!"

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Russians - hard as nails, not fazed at all

My thought too. Are Russians completely unflappable, or is it a language where excitement is conveyed through choice of words rather than tone of voice?

It's even more noticeable in the other video, of people when the shockwave arrives and smashes loads of windows.

Gold badge
Coat

In Russia, people faze meteorite!

Silver badge

The meteorite preferred to blow itself up rather than land in Russia.

Seriously, I would freak out when seeing this thing get bigger and bigger and bigger.

And don't look at it directly, do you want retina burn?

Bronze badge

It just seems that way, coming from a country whose railway stations now transmit special messages to warn of the danger of wet steps.

Silver badge

In 30 years in the UK it will be illegal to build steps outside without putting some kind of shelter above them to prevent rain wetting them. Steps will considered a health and safety hazard in general. Buildings will convert outdoor steps to very long and gentle slopes with soft padding and gripping surfaces as well as erecting shelters to cover them.

Silver badge

Have you been injured at work by a hypersonic space rock?... you could be entitled to compensation

Bronze badge
Boffin

It is simple, the Russian airlines are so bad, everyone has gotten used to things falling out of the sky in a ball of flames.

well on RT at about 8Pm, that is exactly what they said... :) :) "какого хрена это?!?!?!?!?!" or similar things.. they may have removed that in some news channels, though... :P

Anonymous Coward

"Are Russians completely unflappable"

Having been on a sinking vessel with a bunch of Russians, I would tend to say they're pretty unflappable indeed.

Thumb Up

A new improved use for Russian dashcams

Pretty amazing footage, wonder if there are more to come as those things tend to travel in clumps*

*correct scientific term.

Black Helicopters

Re: A new improved use for Russian dashcams

Probably.

Me and a mate saw a v. bright, long lasting and huge meteorite over Hertford (SE England), travelling west to east at about 12.30 last night.

Silver badge

More videos

More videos here:

http://lenta.ru/articles/2013/02/15/meteorite/

Check the CCTV B&W video-only clip at the bottom - shows how powerful the shockwave was.

Silver badge

Re: More videos

Another collection here:

http://www.szeretlekmagyarorszag.hu/meteoritdarabok-becsapodasa/

It's amazing how many videos there are of something that happened very fast and was completely unexpected. Most seem to be security cameras and in-car recorders.

This topic is closed for new posts.