back to article Android? Like Marvin the robot? Samsung eclipses Google OS - Gartner

Samsung's soaraway successful Galaxy smartphones are starting to overshadow their Google-built Android operating system. That's in the mind of the public at least, who can't tell the difference between an Android mobe and a Samsung Galaxy, according to Gartner. Gartner Analyst Anshul Gupta explained in the report Mobile Phones, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

JDX
Gold badge

Google gives out Android licences almost at a loss

Is that 'almost a loss' as in free, or 'almost a lost' as in a small profit?

Silver badge

Re: Google gives out Android licences almost at a loss

That struck me too as odd.

Since 3.0 (Honeycomb) and definitely 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) I don't think Google has had to commit too many developers to Android. Google more or less understands how open source works and plays very nicely on a lot of projects. You can have the OS for nowt with no support if you want or you can buy a licence, get some spangly apps and support.

What does cost money is the account infrastructure and the app store (fucking sue me, Apple) but that is probably now breaking even due to paid apps.

Silver badge

Re: Google gives out Android licences almost at a loss

I think open source definitely gives them a larger pool of developers, especially from partners who would be particularly useful for commit drivers and bug fixes. I expect that core development is still firmly in Google's hands though and a project of this size would need hundreds, possibly thousands of software / hardware developers plus ancilliary staff.

Silver badge

How many can tell the difference between...

a Gartner report and a pile of steaming donkey ordure?

Silver badge

Re: How many can tell the difference between...

steaming donkey ordure is good for the roses.

Gartner reports end up as land fill.

Does that help?

Thumb Up

Re: How many can tell the difference between...

>>a Gartner report and a pile of steaming donkey ordure?

Is it the steam?

Anonymous Coward

meh

incredulous ramblings from the incompetent.

Samsung make the most popular Android mobes, as shown by the data.

Galaxy a synonym for Android, er, lets do the gran test... fail (eh? whats an android) ... dad test... (galaxy? your brothers got one. No i don't want an android. they can pry my nokia 8100 from my cold dead hands)

It's not OS brand v hardware brand

I know plenty of people that bought Android based on manufacturer brand. I also know all of them knew they were getting an Android device, Android from Samsung,Sony,HTC (before they turned crap). The rest of the Android users didn't care what brand it was as long as the price and performance were right - couple of ZTE Blades hit that sweet spot at the time.

It's not Android v Samsung/HTC/Sony etc, it's Android *on* Samsung etc. There's no brand confusion, if there was WP7 would have shipped a lot more devices to customers more interested in OEM brand than the software it runs.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

Welcome back, Eadon

We've been wondering where you'd got to...

Silver badge

Re: Welcome back, Eadon

No, we weren't. Everyone knows Wednesday is therapy day.

Unhappy

Re: Samsung took over the Nokia market

Nokia destroyed? 85m phones shipped worldwide in Q4 as against 43.4m Apples.

Sorry - had to feed the troll

Silver badge

I think there is truth to this. Nokia could have skinned Android any way they liked, to marry the software to the hardware and make it their own creation while benefiting from the Android ecosystem. They could even have put in a symbian emulation layer, or at least a QT framework to get devs to migrate over.

They probably would have a far larger market share than they do now. Windows Phone isn't a bad phone OS to look at but it lacks apps and is distinctly inferior to Android and iOS in some obvious ways. The worst part from Nokia's point of view is that the opportunity for customizing it are negligible. Aside from a few apps, a Nokia Windows Phone is a HTC Windows Phone is a Samsung Windows Phone. That's probably why they're going all out with their apps because there are precious few other ways they can stand out even in a very small herd.

Happy

But only 6.6m smart phones - and that includes 2.2m symbian phones.

Anonymous Coward

Sony has always been a competitor to Nokia in the area of smart-phones, anybody remember the P910.

Nokia mainly sold the flashy/nice looking and sub smart-phone OS phones eg Series S60.

With the Android OS, Samsung has taken a large share of the market because of its open source OS.

Sony made a similar mistake with the Mini Disc. The Mini Disc was far superior to anything close in the market, but because of its closed nature it lost out to MP3 Flash based devices.

I guess it comes down to: You win some and You lose some!

Not everybody in the Market wants a smart-phone, Nokia can concentrate on these consumers and produce very stylish easy to use Mobiles such as the Nokia 6650

Silver badge
Linux

No everybody in the market wants a smart phone

"Not everybody in the Market wants a smart-phone"

Wait until the 'not everybody' comes home complaining that her [insert friend/family member here] has this or that other APP and they want to use that in their phone.

Surprised at Google's lack of Android branding

I don't understand why there isn't a bit more green robot branding around Android, as ever since the Android Market became the Play Store you wouldn't see the name of the OS unless you went to About Phone. Instead of flashing up another Google logo (in addition to the near permanent one on almost every Android homescreen) perhaps Google should mandate a green robot splash screen on start (I don't know anyone who doesn't love the green robot mascot!).

more pseudo statistical spin from Gartner...

Nobody I know has forgotten that the Galaxy line are Android phones.

If Samsung started selling the Galaxy line with Bada, Gartner would quickly find out that enough people remember Android after all, cause sales would come crashing down.

Gartner shouldn't forget that people who are ignorant to the point they don't know the name of their OS are usually also (rightfully) scared of buying the wrong thing, so they ask someone tech savvy among family and friends.

Quite a few people I know would like to see a Samsung line of phones with Ubuntu though...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums