back to article Apple said to develop curved glass iWatch with Foxconn

A weekend flurry of speculative articles stoked the Apple "iWatch" rumor mill, perhaps indicating that Cupertino is secreting some well-placed leaks to pump up interest in what it hopes might be its Next Big Thing™. The Wall Street Journal, for one, reports (paid subscription required) that "people briefed on the effort" tell …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Gold badge

Re: Flexible glass is the wet dream of the tech press

No matter how bendy the glass, watches using it aren't going to wrap around your wrist

Well, I must have imagined then having a hard time to find an engraver for a CK watch bracelet I was going to give someone as a present (the bracelet curvature means it doesn't fit in the simpler engraving machines so it had to be done manually by expert engravers).

Oh, you meant *flexible* - are you not assuming too much? You may need a curved glass display, but I don't quite see the need for it to be flexible.

Meh

I love Apple, but if this does happen, and I'm seriously doubtful, I won't be getting one, I'm not going to give up my vintage Accutrons, or 70's retro Seikos for it.

I love Apple, but if this does happen, and I'm seriously doubtful, I won't be getting one, I'm not going to give up my vintage Accutrons, or 70's retro Seikos for it.

Well, obviously, I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure Apple won't demand you give them your old watches in exchange. It would be like having three watches instead of two - like, I didn't have to give them my first born for my iPad, I just gave them money - I mean, I totally would have... /jk

Meh

You seem to lack reading comprehension. The point is, I'm not going to stop wearing my real watches "Most of which have been keeping time for 30-50 years" to wear an electronic toy that will be obsolete in 18 months.

I love it. Pro Apple comments, thumbs down, anti-Apple comments, thumbs down. You just can't win.

Well...

Fuck me sideways and call me Shirley: So Apple invented the watch now?

Would it use Apple's Siri sometimes-it-works-sometimes-it-doesn't "intelligent personal assistant?"

I think it would work better if they stole Androids idea of baking Siri into the OS rather than requiring an internet connection and distant server (y'know, like they did with notifications;-).

And as for Blutooth - Super Bluetooth Hack Full noob EASY Tutorial on uTube, I tend to keep Blutooth off unless necessary - and, of course, it wanks the battery harder than wifi.

The Next Big iThing tm LOL!

DISCLAIMER: I've got an iPad3 and love it (except for the missing sdcard).

Re: Well...

Well that would really be a technical breakthrough.

Google's version is a search engine at it's roots. Siri is an so called Ai that has to run on more or less something of a super computer, similar to IBM's Watson.

Still Google outperforms and so does Watson, Apple should get their thumb out of their b.. on this. They got the tech but no action.

Silver badge
Devil

WSJ = ignore

You Brits have to remember that the WSJ is the US equivalent of The Mail.

Terror Wrist

The watch as a computer form factor is useless. At best it will be a bluetooth remote for the Ipod or Iphone in your back pocket.

Cover up

Hype to hide that they are doing an iCamera, shortly they'll get sued by Samsung again over their android cameras...

Alien

You forgot...

that perhaps the greatest inciter of these rumors is a speculative/suggestion-filled blog by Bruce Tognazzi, one-time design maven for Apple. That can be found at http://asktog.com/atc/apple-iwatch/

What worries me (as a shareholder) is what if all this foofaraw comes to naught?

Thumb Down

iWatch?

Just get yourself an arm band for you iPhone or your iPod Nano and there's your "iWatch". Who really wants an iWatch? Planning on queuing up in line for that?

Gold badge

As before..

.. a simple observation. If the watch is the whole device it will have an even more appalling battery life than your average smartphone. I can see a watch being a wireless *extension* of a phone, but that's not exactly a new concept.

JDX
Gold badge

Re: As before..

Why? My ipod has a way longer useful battery life than my smartphone.

No doubt Apple will claim they've invented the watch. But my Pebble is on its way to me, so I'll be happy with something which is (I'll bet) cheaper, more functional, and definitely more open.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums