back to article 11-YEAR-OLD code wizard hacks Greedy RuneScape geeks

A Trojan that promises RuneScape players gold but instead steals their passwords was developed by an 11-year-old, researchers claim. Antivirus biz AVG said it made the discovery after studying a piece of code masquerading as a cheat tool for the wizards'n'warriors online role-playing game. The malware asks victims for their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Re: Comment page style

I agree, this new layout is rubbish.

It encourages commenting on a post without reading the actual thread, which is going to result in lots of repetition of the same points.

solution

nothing a date with a wooden spoon can't fix.

Anonymous Coward

A perfect example...

...of why all hackers, scammers and pirates should be seriously punished. If they're dumb enough to hack, steal or scam, then they're dumb enough to go to reform school until 18 years of age and prison if over 18 years of age.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: A perfect example...

yeah,

cos with a few more right thinking people like you then woz and jobs would still be in the slammer (blue box anyone??) and the world would be a better place.

not a bad comment from a self confessed fandroid!

It's frankly astonishing to see so many narrow minded, closed in viewpoints being expressed here. probably envy, but an 11 year old kid saw a 'problem' and fixed it (from the 11 year old's perspective).

they showed some initiative, somewhat misguided i'll concede, but nonetheless initiative.

stick a white hat on them and they could turn out to be of some benefit to mankind.

Anonymous Coward

He cheated.

That's not a "fix", it's deception.

Parents should be teaching their kids the difference between right and wrong.

Anonymous Coward

Re: A perfect example...

"woz and jobs would still be in the slammer"

a) and this would be a bad thing because... ?

b) I think they'd have removed Jobs from his cell, he'd be starting to smell a bit

Bronze badge
Boffin

Hacker?

I thought these little runts are known as "Script Kiddies"!

Silver badge

Re: Hacker?

just shows how little you know then dont it

Silver badge
Thumb Up

" ... very young individuals writing malware, including an 11-year-old from Canada"

I guess this is the audience that Raspberry Pi seeks to encourage with their project.

These youngsters should be encouraged to pursue their interests, although not password cracking, and the Canadian authorities should go light on this chap (he has not reached an age of criminal responsibility which is 12 in Canada) so that, hopefully, will keep him from getting a lengthy stretch of incarceration in a US jail, (the present Harper Tory government prostrates itself in front of the US government), or driven to suicide by an over zealous US prosecutor.

Social engineering strikes again

"Social" methods of hacking such as ringing people on the phone and asking for passwords have been around for decades. Exploiting people's greed or wanting to get ahead in games without having to either pay for it or earn the advancement by actually playing the game is a newer thing. Why would you not want to play the game though?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums