Feeds

back to article Bioshock Infinite, Devil May Cry, SimCity

The first few months of the year are, as ever, a time for the public and publishers alike to draw breath after the Christmas frenzy. Only a handful of full-price games launch, giving gamers time to catch a breath and ponder what they’ll spend their money on in the year to come. That said, this period is already clocking up …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Unhappy

For the sake of the children... please Steam! When's Half Life 3 out??

Silver badge

When you have played Dishonored, not a minute earlier!

Anonymous Coward

I miss space flight sims

I LOVED X - WING and am looking forward to Elite. Although I Would love a reboot of Atari's I-War. I lost my copies so can't build a Win 98 machine to play it.

I'm so tired of FPS that hopefully someone will start back on the space flight sims. Maybe even a new Mechwarrior, the simulator, not the 3rd person console ones would be fantastic, there was another one that I can't remember where the mechs had wheels as well as legs Battle something or other, a reboot of that would be cool as well.

I would happily kick towards any Kickstarter that did those with some hope of good quality gaming. Especially if they did it on the Mac, I feel my 27 inch iMac is wasted on Aperture

Thumb Up

Re: I miss space flight sims

GOG (Good Old Games) has Independence War 1&2 available to buy and they work grand with Windows 7.

(Resolution on I-War is small though, but there are ways around that).

FAIL

State of Games

Most game studios are way too content to have their games appeal to the masses for 2 months then dump them and bring a new project. I feel like the Browser Game genre and Facebook in particular to blame for this. Many companies are now trying to pull in a less dedicated playing crowd for quick inital sales profit because most of the newer crowd of gamers will get bored and drop the game in a few months anyway. Games no longer have difficulty or require thinking, just extra cash and lots of clicks.

WTF?

Changing market, adaptation, go figure

I won't apologize for lazy development (hell, I usually go guns blazing when it comes to poor design) but it's possible to be not-lazy, put together a small, fun and challenging game, make it work for cheap, and profit. Angry Birds is the obvious example, but even on the PC, Portal is marvellous in its simplicity and progressive difficulty. And it works for non-admins on Windows 8. Who'd have figured?

Browser games can be not-lazy, casual or deviously difficult, cheap, and profitable. I've ragged on Puzzle Pirates before for poor design choices, but their staff do listen and do fix their mistakes. There's a good example of a browser game that's easy to learn but difficult to master, and will take as much time as you're prepared to give it.

A good developer mindset will produce good games, regardless of target audience or platform. A poor developer mindset will produce Duke Nukem Forever.... :-)

Go

So how was your visit from the future?

And that just about does it for this look at 2103’s games so far.

Yes I know... I'll report it to the editors. But well, this sort of mistake is funny!

Linux

"the best aspects of DirectX 11"

But you don't need DirectX 11 to play Bioshock Infinite. PS3 doesn't use it. Aside from it being the more commonly accepted proprietary standard, What is the best aspect of DirectX 11?

Silver badge

That last pic on the first page isn't actually a screenshot; it's a management memo. The guy in the hood is a coder who refused to stay late on Sundays during crunch.

Silver badge
Alert

Keep left

I live in hope that one day game developers will allow users to switch between right hand drive and left hand drive vehicles and roads. (Sim City for instance)

Would it be that hard to code?

Honest question.

Darksiders, Homefront and Saint's Row versus Zelda, Battlefield 3 and Grand Theft Auto

Zelda - been regurgitating the same basic game for 20+ years

Battlefield 3 - A CoD clone (with multiplayer from BF2)

GTA - More of the same

Darksiders - New and interesting setting with game style based loosely on Zelda.

Homefront - Another new setting (although it stretches suspension of disbelief a bit). Pity about the game.

Saint's Row - While at its core it's a GTA clone, it takes "over the top" WAY over the top. GTA4 was a sim, SR3 was a GAME.

My understanding is Darksiders was a moderate success, Homefront bombed because the game itself was bad, and SR was basically successful, if not as wildly successful as GTA.

Quite possibly THQ failed BECAUSE they attempted originality and the public, broadly speaking, didn't want it.

Thumb Up

Re: Darksiders, Homefront and Saint's Row versus Zelda, Battlefield 3 and Grand Theft Auto

Nail & head on this, I would say:

"Quite possibly THQ failed BECAUSE they attempted originality and the public, broadly speaking, didn't want it."

Kids have been raised on FPS (yes i am generalising but just take a look at the games most teenagers-20's flock to) and whilst GTA and the like also get played it is damn difficult to bring originality into the gaming genre these days..

I am hoping MS & Sony can bring a closer collaboration of the console and PC with their new consoles which may give the gaming industry a broader scope in which to inject originality (although how that could be possible I admit i would not have the first clue..).

FAIL

Re: Darksiders, Homefront and Saint's Row versus Zelda, Battlefield 3 and Grand Theft Auto

"My understanding is Darksiders was a moderate success,"

No, this isn't true... Darksiders, the original, was a moderate success, so much so that they were in two minds whether to even bother to make a sequel. They eventually decided on it and I think this firmly showed that they should not have made a sequel since it was just a re-hash of the same game.

Aren't we overlooking DoW here? That was a massive THQ owned franchise that had only gone downhill in recent times and I don't hold much hope for DoW 3. THQ failed for a multitude of reasons but being "too original" was most certainly not one of them, Darksiders was just a clone of 'God of War" for example...

Also Battlefield 3, a clone of CoD? Yes, I guess you may be onto something there. In the same way that Ridge Racer is a clone of Grand Turismo... As in they happen to be the same genre. I feel if you want to draw the similarities of CoD and BF3 into question then you can't ignore that God of War and Darksiders are practically the same game.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.