back to article Seagate squeezes out 4TB desktop monster

Seagate seems set to replace its desktop Barracuda brand with the Desktop HDD brand and introduce a 4TB desktop drive with it. The Desktop HDD 15 line runs up from 250GB through 320GB and 500GB all the way to 1TB, 2TB, 3TB and 4TB. It uses 1TB/platter technology, spins at 7,200rpm, has a 64MB cache, transfers data at up to 160MB …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Meh

Re: Seagate has now produced 2 billion hard drives :(

I can only assume Seagate has learned the manufacturing ways of Western Digital then. I've pretty much got their RMA line on speed dial, and the banter with the rep is second nature now. "yup... yup... yes windlg failed it.. twice...here's my email..."

Silver badge
Linux

Re: Seagate has now produced 2 billion hard drives :(

While Seagate has certainly had their problems and deserve all the grief they are getting presently, the situation is not nearly as dire as some of you would like to make it out to be. I have a pile of perfectly good old Seagate drives sitting on the shelf. They are not sitting there because they failed. They are sitting there because I needed more space and moved on to larger drives.

DOA is the biggest issue by far. Just buy from a nice reputable vendor with good return policies (like Amazon).

Thumb Down

Poor old Barracuda...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpkitLUbeEg

Desktop HDD is the kind of terribly dull name that gives the world of computers a dull image.

Silver badge

Re: Poor old Barracuda...

"Desktop HDD is the kind of terribly dull name that gives the world of computers a dull image."

Presumably the marketing department was also washed away in the floods. Who says they don't do anything useful?

Silver badge

Barracuda

Seagate have been hawking this "Barracuda" label since time began. It is kind of reassuring, but perhaps they could try a few more undersea names ? Shark ? Stingray ? Guppy ?

Silver badge
Joke

Re: Barracuda

How about Kelp.

Back in the early naughties they did have another line they tried to sell as a more affordable version of the barracudas.. the real truth was they had abysmal failure rates, even for seagate, and the line was eventually ended. I remember getting a case of them for builds and all but one of the lot failed in burn in

Happy

Seaslug!

Seagate Seaslug :D

Man I'm pleased with myself for that one. Must have been slipped a crapload of cocaine in my cocoa this evening ;o)

Thumb Down

How about "Seagate off shore sewerage outfall"?

That sums up the quality of their merchandising and their product.

Shipping shit to different locations.

Fail - Segate is FAIL

Bronze badge

How about stinkfish?

And yes,10 years down the line we will find out - MAYBE - that it was, indeed, an extreme case of "planned obsolescence", and they'll be fined 10 billion rubles (or rupees), of which every Seagate customer (US only) will be entitled to big mac voucher to the value of 10 bucks. And it'll be hailed as another case of "ultimate justice for the customer".

Ah, but the legal types will get most of the money.

Unhappy

Might not be 7200RPM

The 4TB drive listed in the specs has an extra platter but uses less power. Maybe this drive runs at 5400 or 5900 RPM. The transfer rates would seem to support that, too.

15 years from now we'll be shaking our heads at how much we had to pay for a 4 TB drive... oh wait, we already are.

Massive hard drives are great for back up - redundancy but for the average Joe they promote laziness. Also, the bigger the drive the greater the disaster when it fails or they muck up their PC. Having said that, I've experienced greater reliability out of Seagate than I've had with WD, Deskstar and the least dependable being Maxtor (which Seagate snapped up years ago). YMMV of course.

Anonymous Coward

Warranty

Has it the 1 year (we think our drives are crap) warranty?

Bronze badge
Joke

I remember.....

You kids get off my lawn.....

And i never mount drives any more....

Too hard on the equipment.

I let the computer do it..

That kelp bit is all a wet dream, of course....

Holmes

With two drive suppliers, one could be forgiven for fearing price gouging, but the reality is that, while prices haven't returned to the levels before the Thailand floods of two years ago, the prices are not outrageous. Further, with two vendors chasing a declining desktop PC market, and SSD coming into its own, there may be a price war brewing. Don't expect huge discounts...the margin today still isn't huge.

Silver badge
Pint

Room to Swing a Cat

I can almost hear an echo...

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Facepalm

Re: 4TB

4TB is a lot of data to lose when the drive crashes.

Silver badge
Linux

Re: 4TB

> 4TB is a lot of data to lose when the drive crashes.

That's why you have more than just the one, preferably from different production runs.

Silver badge
Meh

Has the words...LIABILITY

written all over it.

Yay...eventually some some drives to max out my Drobo at last. Not because I have to, but just because I want to. Even with my HD movie collection growing, 10-and-a-bit TB is a lot of storage.

And given Seagate's reputation, a chance to see just how good Drobo is at dealing with dead disks...

Interesting sidenote: a 4x4tb Drobo's index overhead requirements ( circa 18gb) is more than my first PC had in total storage. Progress ftw.

Anonymous Coward

4TB and FRAPS, the perfect marriage.

Some people like to record their online gaming session using FRAPS. A little snag is, the thing records raw uncompressed AVI after the graphic card produces the output, because it must save processing power for the gaming itself. As a result, 2 minutes of footage burn 500MB of storage. The software offers no option of compressing, only after the video is recorded that you can compress it.

4TB would be a hell of scratch-disk.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums