Feeds

back to article The Register: Our all-new app now available for Android

You can now nip down to the Google Play store and bag yourself our new Android App. This version adds offline reading capabilities and comments! Oh. Nice This is a new release, not an update. So those of that you that have the older version, we're sorry: it won’t automatically upgrade. We're also sorry it took longer than …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Devil

Re: 17.07MB ?

It lives! 17.08 MB for the app on my SGS2, 724kb for data after reading a couple of articles, and mysteriously infecting the SD card with a further 320kb. Not to mention a reported 4.63 MB in the phone's cache.

To echo somebody else's comments, for somthing that is merely slighly more competent than an RSS client, how have they managed to make this so f***ing huge? I can remember when an entire OS was less than 18 MB, and even the time when a typical HDD was of this order.

How many lines of code are there in this abomination?

Silver badge

I would ask for it to be ported to BB7/10/Playbook but in general prefer to use to webpage. Don't want the internet to devolve into apps.

Silver badge
Happy

Yeah that's the joy of having a proper mobile browser. Mates laugh at me when they say the Playbook has hardly any apps. Well when you have a proper browser you don't need that many.

Whist they are dicking around with some hokey third party app, I'm using the full meat and potatoes version on the web.

Thumb Up

@James 51

Don't want the internet to devolve into apps.

Well said.

Otherwise it seems that AOL & Compuserve were just a bit ahead of their time.

FAIL

If the Register make the app how is it 3rd party ? I think it's nice to have something optimised for mobile use, if the mobile web devolves in to apps who exactly loses ?

Surely we don't want the world wide web to devolve into apps is a better statement? The internet presumably includes apps as it is?

Unhappy

No luck here

Not for me and my old (and not so trustworthy) HTC Desire it seems :-(

Silver badge

Re: No luck here

I have a Desire Z, I asked HTC when they were going to provide an upgrade of Android. Their reply is below, but they refused to say what their reasoning/criteria were & then stopped replying. It seems evident that they have little interest in supporting kit once they have sold it -- so I told them that I would be unlikely to buy HTC again. Maybe this is one reason why they are losing market share.

''We only update our phones if it will provide an overall improved user experience as we balance features, performance and usability. Because of this, the current firmware you have has been decided to be the best for your device.''

Devil

A Register user who cannot load a custom ROM - SHAME ON YOU.

Silver badge

"A Register user who cannot load a custom ROM - SHAME ON YOU."

More like a Reg user who has the sense not to load unsupported firmware of unknown provenance, I'd guess. Or a Reg user who is wise enough not to risk bricking a handset that they don't want to have to pay to replace.

Got a point there, but when you can only install a handfull of apps, you hardly have a choice. Running Leedroid right now, giving my trusty Desire a new life. I just don't trust it with a regular telecom subscription. The Reg app runs just fine here btw.

FAIL

Installed ...

Unable to comment in this article via the app on my N7.

I'm getting either a blank white page or 'unable to connect, please check your network connectivity an try again' error messages.

Commented here:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2013/02/06/virgin_media_to_be_acquired_by_liberty_global/

Last comment as AC .... Lots%of% L%O%L Fail icon because Epic Fail!

Re: Installed ...

Same here - Unable to Connect every time I hit the comments button - Nexus 4 on 4.2.1

And also...

the same on my N10 too

Silver badge

Ditto, Nexus 4.

Silver badge
Happy

Ditto SGS2 on ICS 4.0.4

Is it just me, or is there a degree of simple childish pleasure in kicking down somebody else's sandcastle?

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

As a software tester, can I say that yes, yes there is. You can even get paid for it! I love my job.

I also can't get to comments on a nexus 4, JB 4.2.1

Thumb Down

Ditto Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2

Silver badge
Joke

As a software tester, can I say that

As a software developer can I just say that I hate you :)

Nah, I try to maintain a good relationship with our testers. After many years I've finally realised that they help produce a better product and even help improve my ability. Some of them are house trained as well :)

Unhappy

Login

Little bit of a bugette in the password section.

FAIL

Yup ..

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2013/02/07/seagate_desktophdd_15/

Still can't comment in this article via the app on my Nexus 7.

Was this app tested before it escaped?

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Yup ..

A lot, yes, an lots of devices too.

Except the nexus 7?

Silver badge

"A lot, yes, an lots of devices too."

We believe you.

or the galaxy s2? or s3?

nobody likes being lied to.

Silver badge
Pint

Re: Yup ..@blapping

Tested != Working

Meh

"Responsive Design"

is what the marketing types call it. In our tongue, that would be just "proper CSS" on the main web site. That is what we need, not another app.

Silver badge

Re: "Responsive Design"

So I'm not the only one who thinks that RWD is another good (if slightly obvious) idea surrounded by bullshit terminology and a design luvvie circlejerk?

Silver badge
Windows

Re: "Responsive Design"

rear wheel drive?

JDX
Gold badge

@Eugene

What a surprise, a web-designer suggesting a site should be redesigned.

I've never found a single site, even one brand new from a good designer, that other designers don't tear to shreds. It seems ingrained into being a web-designer that every site must be completely re-designed every year or two.

Of course this is unbiased professionalism, not blatant self-interest.

Anonymous Coward

Re: @Eugene

It's a tradesman thing... like when you call in a dodgy plumber and get a load of "tut, tut, these pipes are all the wrong bore... we'll have to rip the lot out" :(

Silver badge

Re: @Eugene

What a surprise, a web-designer suggesting a site should be redesigned.

Surely updating your site's interface to use CSS properly (which isn't necessarily the same as redesigning it) is much less effort than creating and support multi-platform apps?

I'm prototyping an RWD version of our website at the minute, and despite having barely any styling yet, it matches the layout of the original well enough that at first glance it looks like the same site - until you try to view it in a browser that isn't a fullscreen desktop app.

Anonymous Coward

yay for fragmentation

yay%20for%20fragmentation%20:D

Anonymous Coward

Re: yay for fragmentation

Yay for not understanding what Fragmentation is, and believing everything Steve Jobs told you without question.

could we not...

... perform the same basic function (well offline reading at least) through Google currents*?

Granted commenting isn't possible in-app, but for "train reading" etc. , where mobile network is too flaky to be useful, commenting wouldn't work anyways...

*disclaimer - I am NOT affiliated with the chocolate factory, but am:

For: having a multitude of offline articles to read from numerous sources

Against: separate apps for each website, each of the order 15mb and non installable on SD card

Silver badge

Re: could we not...

Trains in NI have free wifi. Can't go into the iplayer or youtube but you can tweet about how late the train is while reading elreg.

FAIL

Also ..

Logs me out every time I close the app.

App remembers my email address, doesn't remember my password.

Imagine!

Most popular tech website doing bug tracking of its new app. Live and in public!

Priceless.

FAIL

Re: Also ..

Maybe so, but still not nearly as embarrassing as Apple Maps!

(ducks down awaiting a plethora of downvotes!)

Gold badge
Coat

Re: Also ..

At least you're quite safe saying that. Anyone pissed off enough to want to give you a kicking won't be able to find you.

Anonymous Coward

I probably should cancel my download

but curiosity has got(ten? test?) the better of me.

Typing of which, given the number of egregious spelling and grammar crimes committed by the El Reg commentards (myself included), it is perhaps appropriate to cut The Register some slack.

Bronze badge
FAIL

Aren't you forgetting something?

Checking out the link you gave for Windows Phone 8 and iOS, there's a strange image on the right. An image, of four phones: Android phone, Windows phone, Apple iPhone, and BlackBerry phone.

But! What is this? There is no BlackBerry app to download!!!

jai
Silver badge

Re: Aren't you forgetting something?

you got the wrong icon, you should have used the Thumbs Up one :)

FAIL

To cut The Register some slack?

No no and thrice no!

El Reg and its commentards are amongst the first to point and laugh when a tech related company has a complete and very public cock up with their new shiny tech.

More so when a Government procurement agency procures some software which doesn't work as promised.

it would be borderline criminal for us not to point and laugh. Then point and laugh some more!

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: To cut The Register some slack?

Quite right. Get stuck in.

This post has been deleted by its author

Facepalm

I'm inclined to agree... what the hell are they doing? The app is huge, and all it has to do download and display text. El Reg is the least visually complex online news site on the web - zero graphs in the articles, feck-all pictures, and no fancy fonts. All it needs for an app is a glorified RSS reader, with the ability to submit comments, something that's been done 20 million times before!

What is so special about El Reg that makes it so hard? Are they trying to do everything from scratch from first principles? The %20 bugs people are getting when commenting suggests they are...

It's as though they've reinvented the wheel and decided the best shape was a square.

FAIL

"It's as though they've reinvented the wheel and decided the best shape was a square"

Good comment, Sir. The old adage 'if the app is free you are the product' might apply here. Just another way to serve up adverts? (I'm guessing the spinning thing in the grey box at the bottom of the app was an advert?)

I've never understood the argument for using an app instead of a browser except for more adverts.

Thumb Down

"And the rest"

... what about us loyal WebOS users?

I am still waiting for their teletext service.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Teletext would be awesome

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.