back to article Schoolgirl's Hello Kitty catonaut soars to 93,000ft

A 13-year-old Hello Kitty fan has made her mark in the world of High Altitude Ballooning (HAB) by sending her fave feline toy to a heady 28,537m (93,625ft). The Hello Kitty in its rocket Seventh-grader Lauren Rojas, of Cornerstone Christian School in Antioch, California, hit the heights for a class assignment designed to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Re: catonaut

Actually, not a very clever coining.

'-naut' comes from the Greek for sailor. A "catonaut" would therefore be a person who navigates cats - that is the wrong image entirely.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Let me correct that:

"Konichiwa, Kitty".

No?

How about:

"Kitty 名誉"

?

This post has been deleted by its author

Bronze badge
Headmaster

No, a 'catonaut' ('katanaut') would be a home-loving person who is against sailing entirely. Or possibly a submariner, who sails in a downward direction.

One who navigates cats would be an 'ailonaut'.

This comment brought to you by the Overwhelming Urge to Counterpedantry.

Anonymous Coward

Re: catonaut - worse

The root "cat" means away from or downwards. So a catonaut would be a sinking sailor. This one is merely an aeronaut.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Re: catonaut - worse

Hats off to you both!

Thumb Up

Very good work. Well done to kids, teacher and school.

Obviously in an ideal world the teacher would just use his gun(s) to get it down out of the tree though...

Bronze badge

re: Well done to kids, teacher and school.

I was under the impression it was one kid and her dad - no school involved.

Awesome - what a spectacular project

Thumb Up

A Purrfect Way...

...to get young girls interested in science.

It could have been a cat-astrophic end to the mission if Hello Kitty had gone in the drink.

Bronze badge

Re: if Hello Kitty had gone in the drink

She was sitting on a chunk of expanded polystyrene, so wouldn't have a problem as long as the electronics survived.

WTF?

Re: if Hello Kitty had gone in the drink

Jeez. There's always one anal-retentive in the audience who needs a sense of humour transplant, isn't there?

I'll put on a "joke alert" icon next time I make a post like that - just so you know you don't need to disprove whatever facetious comment I just made.

Bronze badge
Devil

Re: A Purrfect Way...

If it landed in a dog turd it would now be called Hello Shitty Kitty.

two words

Fookin awesome

Thumb Up

Nicely done! Nice story.

Thumb Up

I'm sure Felix would approve of Kitty's flight :-)

Thumb Up

I also love Hello Kitty.

Coat

Kitty in a tree?

Isn't that a job for the fire department?

OK, I'm going

Silver badge

Hmm...

Plays in the Android browser, but not the YouTube app because.... The content owner has not made this content available on mobiles. Go figure...

Otherwise, Go Kitty!

Re: Hmm...

That's a youtube thing, when you use copyrighted music you have to allow ads and ads don't playback on the app, so ad supported stuff doesn't either.

Anonymous Coward

OT: I adore cats

but THIS monster has an impact range much worse than a barbie. And I say this as a father of a 5 year old girl :(

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Kittiiiieeeees in spaaaaace!

10/10 to all concerned.

Those GoPro cameras are fantastic

They're everywhere today.

Bronze badge

Re: Those GoPro cameras are fantastic

They appear to be breeding, chez Lauren--or Dad has a bit of a tech fetish--but, alas, none have been seen anywhere near my place.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Fucking brilliant - meaow!

see heading!

Pint

That is THE BEST video I have seen to date. Awesome video, music, everything edited together perfect.

Windows

Now, the fourth picture is conclusive proof...

..of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Firstly, it's obviously flying, and it's reaching down with a couple of Noodly Appendages to hold Worthy Midgets firmy on Terra Firma.

Enough proof for me. I'm now a Pastafarian! All I need now is an anointment of the Holy Ketchup.

(Seriously, nice job!)

Silver badge
Thumb Up

beep beep beep beep beep

Was the audible beeping to aid location of the landed craft? If so, it's an excellent idea, one that LOHAN should steal use.

Thumb Up

Re: beep beep beep beep beep

This is a good idea from the world of high-powered rocketry (engine class H and up). No radios, GPS or other fancy gadgets needed...just start hiking in the direction you saw the parachute descending, and listen for the beeps. Cheap, light, and simple.

Bronze badge
Paris Hilton

Me-owch!

Thumb Up

Girl Power!

Girl Power Rocks...Again!

-- a fortunate father gifted with two of the finest daughters a man could want

and son of a woman born into a time and place where, despicably, women were no more than chattel

Silver badge

Personally

I think this young girl is one sick puppy, or should that be kitty. Sending your favourite toy of seven years into the wild unknown is despicable, mother-in-law I can understand, favourite toy, sick.

Didn't she do any research about the dangers involved? Had show done so and learned of the the fate of our own very brave highly trained playmonaut she might have had second thoughts.

How does she treat her other toys?

Thumb Up

Re: Personally

"From now on, you must take good care of your toys, because if you don't, we'll find out, Sid!"

Thumb Up

The best amature high-altitude footage I have seen yet!

Well done!

Anonymous Coward

RE. Re. Personally

I'd have put a coincidence detector on there to measure cosmic radiation.

SBM21 tubes are pretty lightweight, one on each end of the craft would be fine.

AC/DC 6EQUJ5

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums