Feeds

back to article Apple blocks Java on the Mac over security concerns

It's been a rough couple of weeks for Java. Security issues are dogging the code, the latest fix may cause almost as many problems as it solves, and now Apple has decided to block Java completely. French blog MacGeneration originally picked up the blockade, noticing that an update to Apple's XProtect now blocks all versions of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Down

wasted opportunity

done properly, sandboxed java in a browser (or any other language for that matter) could have been a whole lot better than the kind of buggy javascript web sites we've got at the moment.

Silver badge
Linux

Re: wasted opportunity

Well you can not sandbox an ever expanding sandbox very effectively isn't?

Not to mention the ground under the sandbox is also full of hidden sinkholes (Win/Mac)

Bronze badge

Re: wasted opportunity

Developers who can't write decent ECMAScript[1] probably wouldn't be able to write decent Java either.

It's true that there are problems with ECMAScript for writing non-trivial programs, notably the lack of a real type system. (Prototype-based OO languages, it turns out, just don't work as well as class-based ones once the number of distinct types gets significant; remembering constraints is simply too hard for developers.) But most of the problems with ECMAScript are because most of the people writing it - particularly including self-anointed "experts" like Resig[2] - can't be bothered to actually learn the language or write correct code.[3]

The root problem is that the vast majority of software is crap. It will continue to be crap for the foreseeable future, since few developers or development organizations show any real interest in improving quality. And while there have been innumerable proposals for improving software quality, few have seen widespread attempts at adoption, and it's very probable that, as Fred Brooks and others argued, there is no silver bullet anyway.

[1] "Javascript" refers either to the now-obsolete ancestor (originally named "LiveScript") of ECMAScript, or one implementation of ECMAScript. If people can't even get the name right, I suppose it's no wonder they can't get the code right.

[2] Original author of the popular, execrable jQuery library.

[3] As of a few years ago, jQuery still contained erroneous constructs such as "typeof x == 'array'" (which is always false). More damning was Resig's public hissy fit when Google's correct implementation didn't behave the way he wanted it to, with regard to iterating over properties; his code was based on a schoolboy error that anyone with even glancing familiarity with the ECMAScript spec would have spotted, but Resig insisted it was correct because it worked in most implementations. Someone with that attitude shouldn't be writing software at all.

FAIL

50% Java - This SUCKS!

I keep a laptop on he kitchen table so I can check out the news over breakfast - My Firefox browser is set to open with 6 tabs as a home page- My local (Calgary) newspapers home page, Google news, my online brokerage home page, The Register, Gmail and my Digital newpaper subscription (Postmedia).

This morning I shut off Java script to see what would happen.

Calgary Herald website - Can't see any problems, so far so good.

Google news- Works but the formatting is off- text overlaps images slightly.

RBC Direct- Some graphics appear but site is totally nonfunctional- cannot log in.

El Reg - Works fine- no problems.

Gmail- Blank screen - wants java turned back on - offers HTML only version.

Postmedia- Top header appears- otherwise screen is blank - No login available.

50% of my home pages are totally gone, one is affected and two work fine.

I suspect that many of you would have the same problems - lets hear from you.

Java is back on! I can't run without it.

DJV
FAIL

Re: 50% Java - This SUCKS!

How many more times do people need to be told that Java is NOT JavaScript - aargh!

Wall, head, hit.

Gold badge

@DJV (Re: 50% Java - This SUCKS!)

"Wall, head, hit."

Ain't the interwebs wonderful? Young Elmo there managed to launch a denial of service attack on your head and he doesn't even know where you live!

Great troll, Elmo! Er .. it *was* a troll, right?

Anonymous Coward

Re: 50% Java - This SUCKS!

Thank Netscape for this confusion. JavaScript is not Java.

Silver badge
Trollface

hehehe

The difference between Javascript and Java is:

One is a steaming pile of bull used a lot in web stuff ... and the other can actually be compiled to bytecode. ;)

Anonymous Coward

..blocks not "Java" but the Java **browser plugin**...

...or is my French too rusty?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.