back to article Cameron's speech puts UK adoption of EU data directive in doubt

Cameron’s speech puts UK accession to any Data Protection Regulation and Directive in doubt. In yesterday’s speech on the relationship between the UK and the Europe Union, the Prime Minister raised doubts as to whether the UK will adopt both the proposed Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Directive in the field …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Dutch Coward
      Facepalm

Re: ...so long, farewell: hosting & Data Protection

Leaving the EU and not joining the European Free Trade Association (or the European Economic Area or negotiating free trade agreements etc) are 2 different things. Ask Switzerland or Norway.

Apart from that, WTO regulations already prohibit import tariffs etc.

As for data protection: if the US can get their dodgy Safe Harbor provisions through the EU, perhaps a non EU UK will be able to prove that their data protection is good enough to meet EU standards (then again, maybe not).

Unfortunately, every politician that thinks our countries should stay in the EU (and/or the EU should move to fiscal/political union regardless of the voters' wishes) trot out the sham argument that leaving the EU means cutting trade etc.

Happens here in Holland, too.

1. gjw
        Holmes

>Apart from that, WTO regulations already prohibit import tariffs etc.

This is just not true. There are lots of import duties in effect, and the WTO doesn't really prohibit them, just mitigates. Or in WTO speak: There is no legally binding agreement that sets out the targets for tariff reductions.

>(politicians say that) leaving the EU means cutting trade etc.

Be that as it may, every country that wants to export their goods/services to the EU has to play by the EU rules, rules that only the member states decide upon. Leaving the EU would just mean: leaving the biggest single market in the world, still having to abide by their rules but not being able to influence those rules.

Smart move!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That may be true but I have had to deal with a long list of clients for whom hosting outside of the EU is simply a non-starter regardless of the EU's recognition of "adequate safeguards" afforded by other countries.

So rather than get into a deep, and frankly pointless, conversation where we try to face down the security policies of our clients. So we will keep our hosting in an area that can serve the EU population without having to get special exemptions from each national DR registrar, for each client, to host data on their citizens outside of the EU.

As for the UK -- we'll host them out of Canada.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't be so sure that UK can do just fine alone

With not much oil left, the UK depends on human capital, which is in a big percentage foreign. Getting out of the EU would make places like Germany comparatively much more attractive. As it is now, you can already see more advertisements for German language courses than for English ones in certain southern EU countries. I for one am considering moving because of the uncertainty and I can tell you that many important corporations are in London to have access to European talent.

2. CmdrX3

"reducing the regulatory burden to secure growth"

I believe the US tried that with banking system and look how well that turned out.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If there is a referendum on UK fascism

I plan to vote with my feet.

4. Derichleau

The EU Directive is rubbish

EC Directive 95/46/EC on which the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003 are based is too confusing. We could do away with the PECR 2003 and just have the DPA98. And if the e-mails are bothering you you simply opt-out under section 11 of the DPA98.

What we need is a review of the DPA98 to make it easier for individuals to seek compensation from companies that abuse their data protection rights. At the moment, a solicitor wants £5000 to bring a case under section 11(2) of the DPA98 - where a company has continued to market me after I have opted out under section 11. The process needs to be easier; I should be able to claim a set amount via the small claims court. So I opt out under section 11 and that company cannot send me direct marketing by phone, by post by e-mail by text etc, If they do then I can take them to court and walk away with, say £250.

5. GotAHandleOnIt

The real reason for Cameron's speech

His speech is just pure sophistry. The real reason behind it can be found by looking no further than http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/05/right_to_be_forgotten/

Cameron has to keep 'head office' happy.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like