back to article UK malls use Google in desperate stab at luring shoppers off the web

The UK's largest commercial property company Land Securities has signed a deal with Google to try to stem the flow of shoppers from its managed malls. Land Securities manages more than 29 million square feet of property - including 17 shopping centres across Britain that, like most retail outlets, are suffering from the rising …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. TheOtherHobbes

Yes, indeed

I will be stampeding to Trinity Leeds to use the free branded only-mildly-aggravating public login WiFi.

Because I'd never get free WiFi at home. So it's worth going out just for that.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. mickey mouse the fith
    FAIL

Well this changes everything...not

Ahh, the high street shopping experience, surly shopkeepers, pouncing salesmen, bored disinterested minimum wage assistants, inflated prices and shit choice, coupled with rain, overcrowded public transport, bags that rip 5 feet from the bloody store (yes tesco, im looking at you), drunks shouting abuse and the ever present threat of airbourne viral infection. No amount of free (and probably cripplingly slow when more than 5 people use it) wifi could drag me into town unless i needed something so desprately that i couldnt wait a few days for postie to arrive.

5. Gene Cash Silver badge

Fat American bastards

Is it really necessary to have half your stock of jeans in the 50"-65" waist size? Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick.

Not a single pair that fits me, of course.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is going to be amusing

Watching greedy councils begrudgingly lowering parking charges to zero in the hope of luring customers back to the high street - so they can continue milking high street businesses of all their profit.

And then failing.

7. The Alpha Klutz

think mcfly

the jobs are going. theyre never coming back.

Even if we all spent the next thousand years shopping we couldn't create enough taxable income to service the debt.

8. kdh0009
    Happy

The power of positive thinking...

Am I alone, (or perhaps just dreaming), that once the interwebs have effectively killed off large chains from the high street, that there might just be a return to high streets full of independents?

There will always be a market for some shopping which is just better in person and landlords will be forced to reduce rental costs once the big players are gone if they want to make any money.

The high street *can* survive as long as it doesn't try to occupy the same space as the internet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The power of positive thinking...

"Am I alone, (or perhaps just dreaming), that once the interwebs have effectively killed off large chains from the high street, that there might just be a return to high streets full of independents?"

Yes.

9. mark 63 Silver badge
    Joke

I get my hair cut online!

1. JimmyPage Silver badge

Not a joke though ...

Mrs Page has her hair cut by a mobile service. Manages to be *cheaper* than going to a store (and the hairdresser claims fuel back on expenses).

2. Chris Hill 1
      Coat

Really, I don't think I've seen you in the virtual barber's shop. Something for the weekend sir <cough>?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like