back to article China turns to no-name handsets: Android - without the Google-iness

There could be trouble on the horizon for Google. Consumers in the world's biggest mobile phone market appear to be shunning big-name Android handsets for no-name Androids - with Google stripped out. That's the trend identified by Enders analyst Ben Evans in a must-read blog post here. The dataset is mobile traffic to Baidu over …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Mushroom

Technology for the masses

Regardless of the tech/licensing/corporate aspects, there is likely a mahoosive impact to growth and political consumer behaviour from this.

Millions more people, in China at least, now have access to /some/ content of their choosing. Weibo springs to mind. I'm trying to think of a piece of tech this democratic in history. The printed text maybe, but even that was exclusive to start with. We don't see it because we're on our nth device.

Also, more people being connected for the first time will improve trade locally as well as expand it regionally. Think a craftsman traveling further to sell his goods, having found a higher price. Or the local genius kid producing an app by hacking his already hacked device.

Just saying.

source for knockoffs

dealextreme has all kinds of Chinese phones. They are out of Hong Kong, so no wonder. Shipping is free, but literally a slow boat from China. It takes a month or so to get anything I order. Stuff varies wildly in quality too.

Re: source for knockoffs

These Chinese mobiles are so cheap that it is cheaper to buy one for the touchscreen than it is to buy the component from a supplier, f.e.x. DigiKey!

Bronze badge
Linux

Payback

Google rose to power by leveraging free software (and stolen content) like no other company had done before. Companies claiming it was unfair were left in the dust. I'm curious what Google will do when China does the same back to them.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Payback

Cry foul of course.

h3
Bronze badge

I thought they couldn't even officially use the play store ? (No point in giving Google anything without them giving anything).

Without the benefits there is no reason at all to take the negatives of Google knowing anything.

Trollface

Good for china. They don't need google tracking them and handing their data to the US gov. That said they won't get quality malware like you get on a proper android phone.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums