Feeds

back to article Record numbers of you are reading this headline right now

It's that time of year when we at The Register get our annual letter from the Audit Bureau of Circulation, confirming just how well we did during our regular November audit. The scores on the doors are these: 7,326,907 unique users visited the site that month, up from 6,657,164 in 2011 - a climb of just over 10 per cent and the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Additional stats required

Readership - all well and good. Now, how about:

- Servers

- storage stats

- bandwidth used

etc

Stop

Facebook accounting

'unique' users? How is this determined? I can exclusively reveal that during November 2012, I will have visited El Reg from at least 3 different machines/IP Addresses. I've forgotten how many times I've had to agree to the cookie policy. Though, having signed in on two of those machines, is the auditing clever enough to match those up?

Never-the-less, it's good to see El Reg going strong.

Silver badge
Pint

Re: Facebook accounting

Speak for yourself!

I'd think a very apt description of El Reg readers/commentards would be "He's..... unique..."

Bronze badge

Re: Facebook accounting

It's all good.

I can reveal during the same month I deliberately only read el reg using google cache, so it averages out.

Thumb Up

Life wouldn't be the same

without El Reg - very good serious articles and Bulgarian airbags!

Silver badge

Result skewage

"Most of the rest of our readers are in Australia, Canada and northern Europe."

Don't forget, those using OperaMini or Opera in super-zippy-whoohoo mode will appear to be from...where is it, Finland?

Plus, I have two mobiles (between contracts; one phone has a very nice display, the other has a keyboard) and home broadband. Do you see me as two people or three?

I do hope, of course, that your advertising revenue adequately reflects this trend.

Re: Result skewage

Norway

Silver badge

Re: Result skewage

Don't forget, those using OperaMini or Opera in super-zippy-whoohoo mode will appear to be from...where is it, Finland?

Better make sure to account for both of them, then. Not both browsers, I mean; both people. :-p

*Ducks to avoid Opera fanboy rage*

Coat

Is it just me....

.....or does anyone else want to know how many Olympic-size swimming pools that number of visitors would fill?

Mines the one with the Reg standards guidebook in it.

Devil

Re: Is it just me....

Hmmm. The idea of olympic pools filled with people has a slight ring of Soylent green about it, if you ask me.

Especially you consider it's more efficient to store them in liquidised form...

Silver badge

I think the usual media measurement for something like this is how many times around the Earth would they reach if placed end-to-end? Or how close to the Moon they'd reach is stacked up.

Bronze badge

How many double decker buses would be required to ..... No hang on, I think I did it wrong.

Headmaster

You'd be highly amused by the Reg's standards guidebook, aka its "Style Guide". The sections on British v American English would engender more than a wee bit of chortling, let alone the list of disallowed ethnic slurs. A fun place to work, to be sure...

Happy

Quality over quantity

I like to think that the readership of el Reg is of a different quality of readership than that of the Sun or the Mirror and that the readership can pour scorn on the technical ineptitude of those alternative readerships.

I also like to think that people are inherently good, old dogs CAN learn new tricks and that Bacon sandwiches are absolutely vital to a healthy diet.

Don't change el Reg

Splendid

Excellent work indeed. I shall continue to educate my, and other people's, staff with the wisdom you publish. I shan't rest till you 1Billion readers. Then the world may be a better place at last.

Bronze badge
Happy

Tentacular news!

'Vultures based around the globe are reporting the news (with or without IT angle) 24 hours a day, with our Australian tentacle collating the Asia-Pacific coverage on the watch between those of London and San Francisco'

Do vultures have tentacles? Just asking.

Congrats to the Reg and all who sail in her for the enormous numbers. :-)

Pint

Bring on the Icons

Can't be iconoclastic without icons in the first place. So long live the icons and the shibboleths. Know what I mean?

"The internet without The Register is like a fish without a bicycle" - Anon.

Paris Hilton

I for one shall be leaving El Reg...

... unless they up their quotient of Paris Hilton stories.

That or change the icon.

Pint

Congrats guys

I never thought I would align myself with any media company, but as you're here you'll do.

Its nice to be able to congratulate or rip apart any reporter, and have them come back at you with more facts and opinions and be happy to take part in conversations with us.

the news stories are what you do. You're going to do that anyway. But its that interaction, and the paper plane experiments, and the playmobile stuff, the fairly unmoderated comment boards and countless other "random" stuff you do that sets you apart. This is why we're here.

THAT AND THE BAD PUNS, DODGY ALLITERATION AND HEADLINES IN CAPS!

Thank you and roll on 2013!

Silver badge
Coat

Good Lord. I never realised that El Reg was not an exclusive society. I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you that such common riff-raff are permitted access.

Signed:- Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells.

Bronze badge
Happy

Stat's be damned...

There's no better site for fresh news, good articles, El Reg's sense of fun headlines and writing, and of course all the slanted/passionate/strange and vitriolic commentards.... GREAT STUFF

Paris Hilton

I'm just looking for the latest update on LOHAN.

Pint

The icon says it all

Here's to you!

For a chaser, may I suggest...

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/wild-chef/2011/09/making-bacon-infused-bourbon

... or perhaps try it with a nice peaty single malt.

Silver badge
Trollface

Who are these dead-tree competitors you speak of?

Do people still wait hours or days to read static news?

(Page 3 thrills aside)

Thumb Up

Respectible source

Everyone has the news but the Reg has amusing childish headlines and best of all no faux Win 8 slidy tile interface. Oh how I hate those sites that have multicolored tiles randomly sliding all over the page, death is too good for them. Well done to the Reg for not having multicolored flashing gif or their modern equivalent all over the interface.

Thumb Up

Record numbers of you are reading this headline right now

I'm not.

oh, wait.

Facepalm

Spoil sport

Don't want to be a smart -ass spoil-sport...

but don't most of us read El Reg from at three/four different devices? I.e. Home+work+phone+tablet

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.