back to article Wanna really insult someone? Log off and yell it in the street - gov

It will be legally safe to insult someone on the street - but not online - according to Home Secretary Theresa May. Section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986 was amended by the House of Lords last year to remove the ban on "insulting" language. May announced this week that the coalition government will allow the change to stand …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. MJI Silver badge

Oh good, can I have a couple of neighbours arrested.

Been rude about me on Facebook with open profiles.

I am not a FB person but it was mentioned to me.

I don't speak to them as they are two faced and not right next to us, but someone who doesn't even know me called me an idiot.

1. dogged

Re: Oh good, can I have a couple of neighbours arrested.

someone who doesn't even know me called me an idiot.

Your complaint only serves to indicate their perceptiveness.

1. FartingHippo
        Trollface

Re: Oh good, can I have a couple of neighbours arrested.

Ouch!

2. MJI Silver badge

Re: Dogged

We get on well with most neighbours, but a local busybody and her pair of fans are the issue. Her husband is the nearest thing to an idiot around here, but just say my next door neighbour had a visit from armed police, who turned nice when they realised it was someone they knew and a bogus call.

Would you tell people that you used your work IT system to see what was happening with all your neighbours, then mention that person x is on meals on wheels?

Then would you post defamitory crap on an open Faceache page?

Mr Fan is just quiet, used to moan to me all the time, about Busy Body and her husband, suddenly he is their friend and blanks me, his wife is just rude, tempted to put a note through their door refuting her claims!!!!

Neighbours - who needs them!

1. MrZoolook
          Thumb Up

Re: Dogged

"Neighbours - who needs them!"

Everybody... - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWhYBTYi-5E

2. mhoulden
    Headmaster

In the amended act, the word "insulting" was removed from the line that outlaws "threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour".

So that would be "threatening, abusive or words or behaviour". Sounds a bit like those BBFC warnings that a film contains mild language. If words are going to be outlawed, I'd like using "leverage" as a verb to be banned

1. Richard IV
      Headmaster

That would be "threatening or abusive words or behaviour"

It doesn't say the words or punctuation weren't changed to make grammatical sense, as the true pedant in you knows they have been.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Coffee/keyboard

re: mhoulden

I was going to say the same thing.

( I said it above (and removed it) because someone posted in the interim and my ambiguous post appeared to agree with them, instead of you.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Typical double standards! Can't the 'glish get anything right?

I hate being surrounded by these retards.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Q: How do I get over my low tolerance for stupid people?

A: Stop prizing brightness as a premium skill-set over other qualities and talents. Know yourself and know others. Discover what you aren't that others are. Recall people in your life who are not "smart" but are important to you.

Learn to appreciate others. See other qualities as different - not superior, not inferior. When that happens, others will start to be open to your smartness. You get to put your smartness to good use and others benefit from it.

It feels really good to work with others that are similar to you. However, there are other important lessons in life that one needs to learn. Becoming a more meaningful human being is one of them.

I encourage you to take this journey to go outside of your comfort zone.

And if you figure out along the way that you're not really that smart, it's OK. You're still a human being. And you can still be appreciated and liked.

1. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face
        Thumb Up

.. and trust me on the sunscreen

2. MJI Silver badge

Don't knock everyone

People can learn, most people (about 90%) are decent and even if not very clever can be productive and be likeable.

Some of the most stupid people are the most intelligent, that always gets me.

4. Lee Dowling Silver badge

I should be able to call someone a swearword. Everyone from Dickens to Shakespeare has done it, and it's not in any way affecting a normal person's life. We really are wasting people's time here by trying to regulate that.

Also, the only logical conclusion would be that films and TV shows would have to ban almost all swearing - if the act is illegal itself, then depicting someone getting away with that act might well end up being regulated by the same rules, whether by word or law, or fear of prosecution, and we'll wind up in the same situation as smoking on TV has experienced. I can probably name 10 famous characters from movies who were never depicted without a cigarette or cigar, but try to do it with modern ones. They've gone. Sure, you can still see cigarettes but the law had an impact on silly things like movies too. (Side-note: I'm a non-smoker and always have been).

I can think of a myriad variations that are "threatening", "abusive", or "grossly offensive", but that's not the sort of thing I mean, so the law is getting closer to a common sense rebound. "Insulting", however - why should that be a crime? If you're an idiot, I can say you're an idiot. It's insulting, sure, but it's hardly devastating to your life unless I do it in an "abusive" manner or I "threaten" you - both of which are covered.

As people are wont to point out, personally I find religion offensive and insulting, especially if they tell me I will burn in hell, or that I'm not "one of God's children" or whatever fancy phrase they want to use to separate me from an ordinary person. That's insulting in the same manner. And though I'd quite like to shut them up, I don't think this law (which would have eventually permitted me to do just that) is sensible or reasonable or can be enforced fairly while it contains the word "insulting".

Insults happen, thousands, even millions of times a day. There is no clear line of justification in the word "insulting" that you can use that separates incidents that are harmless, and those that are not. The definition is just not clear enough.

And I don't see why you can't call someone the same things in person as you do online with the laws as proposed. If something is "grossly offensive", then it overlaps and will be covered in the same definitions as "abusive" or "threatening" in some manner - the only difference is that online publication allows posts that are not just verbal but visual too, and thus "grossly offensive" covers things that include obscenity of a non-verbal nature too, which I think it needs to.

If you're insulted by something I've said to you, maybe you should either ignore those people, or fight your corner (verbally speaking). I find people who are "insulted" but can't be mature enough to ignore childish ramblings, or provide their own justification for someone not doing that to be the "babysat" adult of the worst kind.

If my opinion matters to you, and you're insulted by me, maybe you're doing something very wrong and should look at what you did to cause it. If my opinion doesn't matter to you, then you won't be insulted by anything I say. The same is NOT true if you substitute "insulted" for "threatened" or "abused" (however, it does work for "offended", hence why "grossly" has been added to the definition to push it into the realm of extremes, not the everyday).

This seems a sensible step, and the fact that someone in government has GONE BACK and CHANGED SOMETHING quite publicly means they recognise that. Maybe now we can spend less money on enforcing the ridiculousness that the police and prosecution services should have just said "we're not able to enforce that well enough" in the first place and never tried to (they have done just that for several other laws in the past).

1. Crisp

Re: Dickens

Humbug used to be a grossly offensive word.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gay horse

To be fair, having read up on the student who called the Police horse "Gay" he was an Oxford student who appeared to be deliberately pushing it and then got arrested. He came over as the sort of snotty posh boy who didn't really believe that he would be arrested because only oiks get arrested (not that all Oxford students are posh or snotty, just this one seemed to be). I can't say that I don't believe it was a valuable lesson for him or that the same wouldn't happen again if someone else did the same thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Gay horse

tricky situation - hate the police or hate the posh kid?

1. frank ly

But what if the police horse really was gay? Things can get complicated very quickly.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Presumably you would have to show the horse felt insulted

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge
          FAIL

So he was arrested for asking if the horse was gay?

Doesn't that make the arresting officer homophobic?

6. JohnG

How about posting a video of someone standing in a street and dishing out insults?

Is that allowed?

Or, how about someone on some online forum or social media recalls the details of their earlier public verbal insults?

Is that allowed?

1. jayeola

Re: How about posting a video of someone standing in a street and dishing out insults?

your mum. In the nicest possible way.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Greg J Preece

The police arrested someone for calling a horse gay?

So the police are saying that it's insulting to be seen as gay? Interesting...

1. PatientOne

@Greg

No, he distracted the officer with an irrelevant question, so was interfering with her duties. The correct charge should have been that he was preventing her from doing her duty by distracting her with that question. The papers then focused on the question instead of him being an ass and stopping her doing her job.

Rather, if he wanted to know if the horse was gay, he should have submitted a freedom of information request and got a standard 'we're not answering that as it is specific to an individual' reply.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

But surely the sole purpose of the police is to be asked the time at all opportunities?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

did you look at my pint?

Not arrested for calling someone gay, but for calling a horse gay.

Apparently its been off sick since and has been receiving counselling for its PTSD.

10. JaitcH
    Thumb Up

What about Speakers Corner?

Is that still good for anything that goes?

11. James Gosling
    Facepalm

Oh dear...

That'll be the end of The Register then! :-)

12. James Gosling
    Thumb Down

The Police....

The Police need less powers not more. Policing these days seems to be a form of sanctioned thuggery. And some the the restraint methods they use are utterly excessive. I saw someone on television being cuffed with his hands behind his backs then they lifted him into the back of the police van by holding just his arms, in other words putting the entire weight onto his shoulder joints bent the wrong way! And more often than not its a public order offense very much left to the interpretation of the individual Police officer or a teeny tiny bit of cannabis. The law is an Ass!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like