Feeds

back to article FAVI smacks your dumb TV with £30 Android SmartStick

FAVI has brought out an Android stick that turns "any TV into a Smart TV", that's the pitch, and it's not far wrong as long as your TV has HDMI, you have a nearby port where you can juice up the dongle via mini-USB - and if you don't mind pushing an arrow around the screen every now and then. The FAVI SmartStick is an Android PC …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge

Question whether this works with standalone computer monitors with HDMI

Hi folks,

The article spoke of HDTVs; might anyone please know whether this tool will work with standalone monitors, please? I searched 'monitor' on this page and nothing came up.

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Question whether this works with standalone computer monitors with HDMI

Yeah, works fine on a monitor as long as it has a digital in (DVI) and you have a suitable cable.

However: the monitor I tested it with isn't wide-screen, and the output is, so everything got a bit squashed and I couldn't find a setting to fix that.

There is also the question of audio. With no Bluetooth or audio jack you'd have to do without audio entirely (unless your monitor supports audio over HDMI, in which case it's hardly a monitor at all).

Hope that's of some use.

Bill.

Anonymous Coward

Just ordered the iMito MX1 A9 Mini PC with Android4.1, RK3066 Dual Core 1.6GHz 8GB HDMI AND Bluetooth for $65.

Anonymous Coward

Another company jumps on the Android bandwagon, creating a system around an OS that is designed for something else, ie devices you can touch. Pretty pointless on a TV where you don't have a touch screen or would ever consider walking over to the TV to touch it.

It seems you have to stick Android on something to make it sell now, much like sticking an i in front of something makes it sell.

Honestly, people really are mindless sheep these days, which explains all the X-Factor crap on the TV.

Anonymous Coward

Spoken like someone who's never tried such a device.

In fact they work perfectly well with a mouse and keyboard, very few apps require multi-touch - even then it's not a problem if you hook it up to your smart phone via Droidmote.

Slingbox?

Does anyone know if it can be used with a Slingbox easily? If so it could be a perfect travelling companion!

Bronze badge

Nice price, but....

Except it's not £30, is it? They don't seem to be available to buy from any UK suppliers. So that means ordering from the US of A, where they'll charge you an extra $29.99 for international shipping bringing the grand total up to $79.98.

Now I'll place the order using my UK payment card, thus incurring a 2.75% exchange fee and a £1.25 transaction fee. At today's exchange rate, the cost is now £53.25. If I'm unlucky then Customs will sting me for 5% import duty and 20% VAT, and Royal Mail will charge me an £8 handling fee. That brings the grand total up to nearly £75. Ok it's still cheaper than a new smart TV, but it's 2.5x the price quoted in the article.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.