back to article Thunderbolt interface strikes YOUR PC: What's the damage?

Thunderbolt has been available on Intel-based motherboards for around six months and although Apple has featured it on its computers since 2011, peripherals with this interface have appeared at a glacial pace. But the ice appears to be melting now. Besides a range of hubs and adapters that take advantage of Thunderbolt's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
WTF?

Re: Another Apple-backed standard that likely (hopefully) won't get traction...

" Most of us real computer users have adopted laptops."

Did you just call laptop users "real computer users"...? =)

But wait, it gets even funnier...

"But for people like me who game (or in a previous life did a lot of CAD and 3D design work) an external video card is very important for when our laptops are sitting on our desk."

So let me get this straight: you are a 3D guy who rather runs a laptop - imagine rendering times! - and an EXTERNAL VGA CARD because you are a "real computer user" - as opposed to us, people running Quadros and Teslas in tandem in workstations (I actually work for a high-end visualization firm), we are not 'real' computer users because we don't use underpowered shitty laptops, right?

"In fact, we could even see a line of displays that included a PCI slot to install a 3D card directly into the monitor."

Yeah, that's probably the silliest idea - the last thing I want is to stuck with my 3-4 years old monitor's limited expansion slot, not to mention TB's rather shitty PCIe support.

"Problem is (according to Village Instruments) Intel won't let small developers develop for the standard."

Most likely BS. Intel wants money, as always - now if the price of entry is very expensive, yes, I can totally believe that, Intel was always a disgusting PoS company (just like Jobsian Apple, 'nice' couple.)

" And another barrier to entry I understand is at least currently Mac OS X doesn't support 3D graphics cards over Thunderbolt (all though there is no reason they couldn't fix their software issues in their OS to support this.)"

Can you tell me why is it that the moment I read your BS about "real computer user" is 'using a laptop' I immediately know you are a Mac user? :)

"So the point is Thunderbolt can do a lot more than DisplayPort. But it would be much better if the licensing were more open. "

SO at the end of the day it does NOT do anything more - in fact it does less, not to mention being SLOWER than DP 1.2... thanks for admitting though. ;)

give it 10 years

any thunderbolt gear you buy now is practically guaranteed to be expensive buggy and no better than regular alternatives. apple users are the beta test. its fast as hell of course theres no point wasting all that time and money to hook up a decade old piece of tech like a hard drive. thunderbolt is for things that dont exist yet.

Thumb Up

IOPS

Id of been interested to see what the IOPS performance was for each interconnect method. Could be an option for my VM environment going forward.

It'd be interesting to see how it performed against fibre channel, like wot the big boys push.

Go

Clustering

What is the latency of this interface, preferably using Linux? Are there switches? 10Gb/s gets you into Infiniband territory. Certainly better than standard GbE. And if it's supported on the Motherboard...

Silver badge

Re: Clustering

The interconnects are too short for networking at the moment. Still waiting for the promised 100m optical links...

If you're happy with spinny-disk speeds and have multiple NICs, you can tie multiple gigE ports together with LACP and a managed switch.

Bronze badge
Coat

Charts!

OK, this may seem extremely picky, but wouldn't the use of COLOR (or colour for the east side of the pond) make the charts a bit more helpful. Why, you may ask??

I noticed that for many of the measurements depicted, the only difference was the interface used with the same drive. Had these been of a different color, or even being separated from the others, the performance differences due to the varied interfaces would have been more obvious.

Alright, I'll get my coat, and leave!

Headmaster

Indeed, Apple's own Thunderbolt monitor features an interface hub on the back panel with USB 2.0, FireWire 800, Gigagit Ethernet...

Ahh, Gigagit Ethernet - a thousand times the asshole of regular Ethernet!

Anonymous Coward

>Ahh, Gigagit Ethernet - a thousand times the asshole of regular Ethernet

I take 'regular' ethernet to be the 100 variety, so that would only make Gigabit Ethernet only ten times the asshole. Hold on a mo- what? What do you use?

Anonymous Coward

The article refers not to gigabit, but to gigagit. That was the point of my post... You're right about the orders of magnitude, though; I was considering the units to be gits rather than bits, but wasn't thinking of regular ethernet being ('regular' to me means 'original' and thus 10... err... megagit) 10 megagit. So from my perspective it'd actually be 100 times, or 10 if you consider 100mbit to be the standard.

At any rate, it was a joke about a typo and it was late o'clock at night. Can't we just all consider 'Gigagit' to be intrinsically funny and move on from there? :P

You know...

>Gigagit Ethernet

You know that at the bottom of every El Reg article there is a link entitled "Send corrections" Instead of posting here you could've submitted the correction there.

Lord knows if they kept track of the number of corrections anyone has sent I'd have one of those little gold badges by my forum name. O:-) In fact maybe they could give out a gold Pedantic Grammar Nazi badge to people who've sent in the most corrections!

I think I'm on to something here...

Re: You know...

>I think I'm on to something here...

Doing unpaid proofreading work for a for-profit website?

You deserve a gold badge.

Thumb Up

Fast thunderbolt with SSD in Seagate adaptor

Seagate adaptor powered by laptop. . . .Buy at Apple store. . .

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/HB095ZM/A/seagate-freeagent-goflex-thunderbolt-adapter-for-portable-hard-drives?

Added 120 gig OCZ SSD gave my Macbook Pro up wards of 360 Mb/s throughput!

English gents video got me started and it all works well but keep it a secret, OK!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vj4oP9NTUyo

With the correct setup thunderbolt rocks!

Not so

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vj4oP9NTUyo

This worked for me!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums