Feeds

back to article Siri: Can you make a Raspberry Pi open a garage door?

A clever coder who goes by the name DarkTherapy has created an iPhone app and interface for the Raspberry Pi that allows it to open a door. Not just any door, mind you, but a motorised garage door. As you'll see in the video below, an iPhone is a far snappier remote control than your average door zapper. The project works …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Siri, I shall be home in ten minuets - please have the garage open

ten mins later...."This is your reminder to call the vet"

Anonymous Coward

Ten minuets

"I shall be home in ten minuets."

Nothing like getting around by string quartet.

Silver badge

Re: Ten minuets

Bugger and blast!

The next step would be to tie it with the iPhone ring-fenced location thing so that it automatically opened the garage door as you drove up your road. It would have to monitor your speed too, so it could tell that you are driving, not walking.

The only snag is that Apple Maps currently thinks I live a couple of miles away from my house. I'd have to drive to where it thinks I live to trigger the thing, then race back before the doors had timed out and shut themselves again.

But I'm sure they will fix it - eventually!

Anonymous Coward

instructions can be found here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=25118

Anonymous Coward

Gotta have this one!

Marvin, I have a REAL door for you to open - 10' by 40', 3/4 hp 220 volt motor, it is the door to my hangar. I'll buzz the field, call the door on my phone and you can have the hangar open for me when I taxi up to it after landing. Oh yeah! Note to self, don't try flying through the hangar a la' Bond, there's no back door on it to open, and that's gonna hurt if I try it. And have a Diet Coke ready for me, stirred, not shaken.

Anonymous Coward

Buy a tripod

Pet peeve regarding online amateur video. I have no desire to become seasick, no matter how "BEST EVA!!!!" your video is.

Thumb Up

Re: Buy a tripod

The next video I make and describe as "BEST EVA!!11" I will make sure I use a tripod just for you.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.