back to article New Year's resolution: Don't use Instagram, it'll sell YOUR photos

Social network Instagram has provoked uproar among its latte-photographing users: it has changed its terms and conditions to grant itself licensing rights to sell all photographs taken by the app. The amendment in the Ts&Cs will come into effect from 16 January. The firm will not technically "own" the images but will be able to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Re: This mug is copyrighted

I don't know if that disclaimer would be enforcable in public. However, it probably wouldn't be necessary anyway if you didn't want to be included in an advert, since (AFAIK) under most jurisdictions they'd still require a model release from you for that use.

Entrusting your photos to Instagram

Is a bit like entrusting the family jewels to a safety deposit box you don't own and don't have the key to. If snapping and sharing's your vibe, the annual fee for a proper photo service (Flickr Pro, Smugmug, Pbase, 500px and so on) is hardly exorbitant.

Silver badge

Re: Entrusting your photos to Instagram

No it's worse than that.

It's like GIVING the familly jewels to someone you hardly know, that lives somewhere else and considers that the jewels now belong to them.

Anonymous Coward

If a thing is free, YOU are the product being sold

How many times do I have to post this for people to realise this?

Google, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube..... they make money through taking your personal details, browsing preferences and your content, and selling on to others.

Re: If a thing is free, YOU are the product being sold

And yet,you continue to read The Register.

Anonymous Coward

Yes, but in this case I don't mind. If the Reg can sell information on what I look at and post on IT related subjects to the IT vendors, it might microscopically improve the service I get from them. I want feedback from our customers, I don't see why they wouldn't want feedback from me.

With the "social media" sites, I don't have a clue who their customers are. Perhaps they're flogging my search for kosher restaurants in South London to the BNP. I have no way of knowing.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

AC, If you had a proper nick name I could credit you for the quote. I just posted it on another article's comments.

FAIL

Does anyone in IT

use products like this and think that the owner's won't rip off their stuff? If so, would you like to buy some Apple products, why yes, they're just over here in this suitcase, yes next to the other suitcase full of potatoes.

It doesn't seem to matter.......

.....how many photos of my knackersack I upload, M&S still don't seem interested for their summer bus shelter ad campaign....

Coat

PROTIP

The popular page on instagram is full of twats and shit - indeed as some people have stated.

But if you look for your friends and leaders of the industry you are in, then you should get better photos. I treat my account like a photo diary cos I genuinly belive some stuff is share worthy, however I have never photographed food or coffee. Also I use and account for a small clothing label and drop the logo discretly in every photo. If they reuse them photos then theres some free advertising.

It would ruin photos but a tiny tiny discreet logo or watermark would ruin the stock photo idea!

Anonymous Coward

Don't want you pictures / Info used and abused?

Don't upload.

Simple.

Re: Don't want you pictures / Info used and abused?

Not simple, unfortunately.

Any pictures you don't delete from the service by the 16th Jan are also to be deemed to fall under these conditions. Which sounds fine, but if the pictures have comments from other users or have been re-shared they *can't* be deleted.

Personally, as an amateur photographer I'd be quite happy to let them use my pictures if they shared the royalties with me, but I'm not giving them my work for free. I've heard that's what's wrong with downloading movies from bittorrent, we can't really have it both ways, can we?

Luckily, I only joined the service very recently so I have (or rather had) about six pictures that I have now deleted. If I upload anything in future I will make sure it has a proper copyright notice and something stating it's not for commercial use (or similar) without proper written consent.

At the very least it would create a grey area that possible licensees will probably stay away from or might at least get me involved in any commercial discussions.

Mind you, once the media companies that use this service to make their clients "hip" get word of this I expect more than a little fur to fly.

Bronze badge
Unhappy

Re: Don't want you pictures / Info used and abused?

It would be simple if I could guarantee that nobody else would upload pictures of me...

Not so simples, then...

Bronze badge

They are pretty clear that they don't own and can't sell your photos.

Usually the question is, "Did the other commentard read the article?" But in this case I'm wondering about the editor.

"Sell"? They are pretty clear that they don't own and can't sell your photos.

What they can do is sell the use of the photos.

Still, it is a pretty dreadful wording.

I wonder, did they intend something like Facebooks' "Instant Personalization" but the lawyers used over-general wording?

Anonymous Coward

You could just store your pictures on your own hard drive

And back them up with, say, Google Drive.

FAIL

Seems pretty simple we'll just stop posting anything to the service, and where we do post photos to FB for purposes of business promotion we'll just ensure the photo's are suitably watermarked with copyright to deface them.

For social media this seems a particularly anti-social step to take !

Anonymous Coward

Ive got a good idea to scupper them.

I'm a fairly serious photographer and never uploaded a cupcake pic, few cats maybe.. my.plan is to delete all decent pics and then upload 500 pics of my arse and balls, thats gonna mess it up for them if we get a few hundred thousands behind it.

Anonymous Coward

Re: pics of my arse and balls

I hope children won't have access to these pics or it might mess you up to.

Re: pics of my arse and balls

They one be bare arsed any its only balls we all have them well about half of us.

Makes me wonder

Kind of bizarre, though hardly surprising, how may posters here jump in to denigrate Instagram and its contributors. Yes the Popular page is rubbish ("nail polish, shoes, and One Direction") but it is extremely easy to find mind-blowingly gorgeous images through the search feature — navigation within the app is brilliant. By now I'm guessing the majority of the world's professional photographers have accounts and are uploading their works in order to hawk either prints or full resolution images. These pros are not taking pics through Instagram's crappy filters but are using their own cameras and commercial software. What I wonder is whether they will want to stay on after this latest change in policy. Kind of a difficult calculus as to whether having the odd pic swiped for an ad will devalue a work or burnish the artist's reputation.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Makes me wonder

Oh please, Instagram is complete and utter nonsense! If you want to see superb images from websites that doesn't sell their users down the river, here's just three off the top of my head.

www.1x,com

www.500px.com

www.deviantart.com

Anonymous Coward

A classic YouTube video that sums up what Instagram means to any sane photographer.

==> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn-dD-QKYN4

h3
Bronze badge

I don't use Instagram. (My mother wants to).

The Autodesk pixlr applications for Android (Free at least for now) seem far better made.

Silver badge
Big Brother

Dammit!! There goes my anonymity

I guess my beautiful image is going to be used to market breakfast cereal and action movies, because I'm that good-looking! Ask me, I'll tell you!

Curse you, Instagram!!

UK

There are privacy laws in the UK that will protect you from this, however because Facebook is a US company it'll be tricky. We'll see when this comes to the UK court, I suspect quite soon.

Bronze badge
Devil

Good old days

Reminds me of the time when you joined an online service that asked for your email address and they said it was safe as they "did not share or onsell your personal email details". Yes really, and they all used to sell email addresses by the database load to interested parties. Bunch of fuckin etard liers.

Anonymous Coward

If you don't pay for something then you're the product.

Pigs who get fed and shelter over their heads seem to be getting something for free, but we all know the end result.

Flame

Pigs who get fed...?

You mean, whilst they exist in the state known as "pre-bacon"?

First they came

For my faux-ruined, light-leaked photos of the humdrum, and I did not speak out, for I was tweeting.

Re: First they came

Although later I did say, 'here they are, they're all shots I took of a T-Mobile advert anyway'

Anonymous Coward

Full circle

I used to use a personal web site for sharing a few snaps but then started using facebook. All I am going to do now is resurrect this site and only post very low quality thumbnails to Facebook with a watermark over them (maybe linking to the personal site url). I am not surprised they are trying to find a revenue source and understand the need to do this somehow (you can’t expect to get something for nothing) but I don’t want to allow personal pictures to or my profile to be used.

PS: I have always used some dis-information when signing up for any online service.

Best Regards

Ewar Woowar aged 106 and 3/4.

Bronze badge
WTF?

Doesn't add up

Yup, I realize that FB paid out $1B for Instagram, but

Upside?

What is the really big upside in selling amateur photos to advertisers? Are the photos gonna be that great? What's in it for the advertisers that they are going to jump on this awesome opportunity and shell out a lot of moolah? Do big, high-profile, advertisers even want to touch this issue with a ten foot pole?

Downside:

Didn't FB already have a splat about "sponsored stories"? I don't see why they would want to run extra risks regarding user privacy issues. FB may or may not be appreciated by all and sundry and they were overvalued on their IPO. But they are the ONLY social network around and will remain so until an upstart has a way more attractive offering (network effect). Leaves them plenty of time and $ to figure ways to be profitable. JUST BY NOT SCREWING UP.

An incoming upstart may be attractive on the basis of superior service. Or just by being "less evil". I really don't see why FB wants to expose itself to that second risk by earning itself a lot of negative press.

At the end of day, I figure FB just doesn't "get" privacy. It is a calculated gamble and not necessarily a bad one, from the profit-maximization point of view of FB. But in this particular case, are how the likely benefits worth the probable risks?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums