back to article UK cops: How we sniffed out convicted AnonOps admin 'Nerdo'

Analysis of IRC logs and open source intelligence played a key role in the successful police prosecution that led up the conviction of a member of Anonymous for conspiracy to launch denial of service attacks against PayPal and other firms. Christopher "Nerdo" Weatherhead, 22, was convicted on one count of conspiracy to impair …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

What is this "open source intelligence..."

...of which you speak?

Can I find it on my Ubuntu system?

(It's 12.04 and I don't use Unity, if that helps.)

1. Fatman

Re: (It's 12.04 and I don't use Unity, if that helps.)

Another one who ran away from that clusterfuck called Unity!!!

2. mark l 2 Silver badge

Good to see the METs e-crime unit had to employ a 3rd party contractor to do something as simple as monitor an IRC channel and then google the nics and see if they had been used elsewhere.

Whats the bet the contractors charged thousands for doing this.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pics?

Ok, great. They bagged some sad loser. I was lead to believe I'd be treated again to the picture of the lovely, anonymous young lady and her inspirational assets. Color me a disappointed old guy.

1. Wombling_Free

Re: Pics?

Yes, she was lovely! Wonderful cook too if my memory serves me.

4. RISC OS

It's ironic...

... tha someone who works for the organisation Anonymous gets caught by being identified by his handle and social networking presence.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whom does the law serve?

So, this Anon faces up to ten years in prison. A similar level of sentencing for sex crimes against children, violent assault, armed robbery, rape and manslaughter. Oh, and for large-scale fraud.

PayPal, his alleged target, have dodged paying very large sums in taxes (millions of pounds sterling) and have had charges against them dropped in the UK.

Whom does the law serve?

1. Wombling_Free

Re: Whom does the law serve?

"This isn't a court of justice, son, this is a court of law"

'Rotting on remand' - Billy Bragg

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like