back to article Review: Apple iMac 21.5in late 2012

I'm a sitting behind a 2010 iMac. You know, it's one with the dodgy Seagate hard drives that Apple is replacing en masse. I must get this sorted soon, but it hasn't died ye—. Apple iMac 21.5in late 2012 Long time no see: Apple's late 2012 21.5in iMac Now I'm sitting behind a very late 2012 iMac. It's the super slim one that's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Re: THE POWER CABLE WILL COME OUT REGULARLY

Have you not thought that it could be the cables trapped behind your desk?

Your making a mountain out of a molehill here.

I've never seen this happening. Seriously - and I'm not making it up for my health either.

Re:WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

Probably: oh look the connector comes out because we designed the unit wrong, what should we do? Put a last minute flange on there.

Something going wrong here; I'm using a 2006 iMac and move the screen regularly and haven't had the power lead come loose once. In fact I've never heard of that problem with anyone before.

FAIL

Nomen est omen.

More failure: here a 2009 iMac that's moved left/right and tilted up/down a few times a day --- desktop working machine by day, DVD viewer every night --- and never a cable has fallen out.

I'll return it to Apple, "does not perform as promised by Alpha Klutz".

I'm intrigued as to why you need to tilt the screen so much. I've been using iMacs for a number of years and hardly ever tilt the screen. Are you playing pinball a lot?

Silver badge
Trollface

This is why Alpha has a mac and not a PC,LinuxBox. He couldn't evben be trusted with inserting the power cable correctly so they had to provide him with soemthing that even granny could use.

I don't really understand the USB problem either, usually you have to apply a little effort to get them out , the USB pins are "spring loaded" which helps retain the connecter. ( I don't know if Spring Loaded is the correct.term).

Alpha you are not supposed to "suspend" usb device from a USB port !!!!! 300 grams or so of 2.5" disk hanging on the end of a cable is a bit too much.

You did RTFM didn't you..

Silver badge
Facepalm

>loses all their files when the power cable comes out

What have you got, a RAM disk? I believe OSX has an integrated back-up utility. If you're talking about loosing your open files, then it's good practice to save them regularly, or place a bead of Blu-tack around your plug, or whatever. Last time I kicked the kettle plug out the back of a computer, I was pleased to discover this then-new Office feature called AutoSave...

Anonymous Coward

steve jobs was shooting a lot of blanks. For example, where are his kids? No one even knows....

Mushroom

In nearly two years this has never come close to happening on mine. S0, er, NO IT WON'T.

Angel

That's where you're going wrong - using a standard IEC. That's why the original plug has the round thing on it to keep it in place. Either go back to that cable or don't tilt the damn thing or you have the plug too tight and stretching so tilts will wriggle it out (same on any machine).

Don't blame Apple for your own silliness.

Silver badge
Stop

Kind of self inflicted isn't it

Rather than using the official Apple connector with a UPS compatible connector on the end, or a UPS to single mains socket cable that you could have plugged the standard Apple cable into, you plugged a standard cable into the Apple socket and haven't got a very snug fit. Rocking the cable up and down causes this to come loose. Well DUR!

Anonymous Coward

i have the first edition of the thick chunky model which gets tilted and swivelled daily and have never had the lead come out. YMMV. Could you support the cable in some way?

Re: It was two years later I discovered the lead was simply an IEC plug with a flange

It's not as if all other consumer electronics comes with a removable power lead - I've seen plenty DVD players, amplifiers, set-top boxes etc. with tethered mains leads. Why should a computer be any different?

But, yes, it was there was a bit of a 'oh... it's just a kettle lead' moment when it fell ou... er, I mean, when I came to shift it to another room.

Anonymous Coward

"i hope whoever thumbed me down buys this and loses all their files when the power cable comes out. I don't make this shit up for my health."

I think you do, or your health is suffering because you brink bleach due to failing to pay attention, or similar- judging by your posting history.

This manky old Linux box has a couple of inherited cinema displays on it, and the power cables never come out magically. Nor does this happen with the iMac in the corner, which is used for video editing occasionally. I simply have no idea what you're smoking.

I love how pissed off Apple fans get when their god is called into question.

you cant just admit that the weird way apple do it counter to everyone else, could be wrong. They do it different because they are the only people who are right. hahaha well you would think that if you spent all your money on this crap. but im loaded so my perception isnt so distorted.

Silver badge
FAIL

And YOU can't admit that if you'd used the perfectly good cable that came in the box, with some small amount of adaptation to allow it to connect to a UPS power socket (like the old fashioned through power connector used by monitors) then you wouldn't have an issue at all. This is definitely self inflicted.

Anonymous Coward

If someone called you a transvestite when you obviously weren't, you'd be a little irked too.

Anonymous Coward

Klutz by name... Klutz by nature? Never, ever seen that happen.

Anonymous Coward

Face it you prob dont even own an Apple you just like making things up - yeah I don't like aluminium i'd rather cheap plastic.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

User error. Yeah and my car is not un-crashable - disgrace.

Anonymous Coward

Yeah Alpha and guess what if you knock it off your desk it will not just bounce back with no damage - face it - it's your issue.

Paris Hilton

Gaming! All I wanna know is if you can game on this thing!

There are loads of unboxing videos on You Tube. Loads of written reviews. Yet no one goes into any detail to say if the new iMac range can be used for occassional gaming. I get the feeling that because no one talks about it or shows it on a video it doesn't work as a gaming machine.

Paris. As she like the occasional game of TF2 or F1 2011 racing too.

Re: Gaming! All I wanna know is if you can game on this thing!

TF2 shouldn't be a problem at high settings F1 2011 most likely have to sacrifice a few options to medium , its a Nvidia 640m aka Laptop gpu.

Meh

Hmmm. If I was coughing for such a grandiose desktop as this, I'd want a proper graphics card in it, not a half assed "Mobility" version. I find support in terms of drivers, etc for laptop versions of graphics cards to be extremely lacking.

Anonymous Coward

well all games I tried so far - on mac, on all our macs (imac, pro, air) they ran perfectly (diablo3, older win games with parallels from gog.com, civ5, bioshock2) . i never actually realised it, but they just worked without any tweaking of the drivers or whatever (what I used to do on a windows pc). the fans were spinning like crazy though.

Bronze badge
Devil

Gaming, along with productive work is discouraged as it distracts you from the real business of drooling over the equipment.

Silver badge

>I find support in terms of drivers, etc for laptop versions of graphics cards to be extremely lacking.

That's because nVidia usually tell you to contact your laptop vendor... ho hum. You should be alright, but it might be worth checking what the latest BootCamp drivers are like.

If I indulged my paranoid side, I might install a CPU-temperature utility but it isn't necessary- if it does overheat, it will throttle itself (the game will go slow and jerky for a few seconds, before running smoothly for ten seconds, repeat).

Anonymous Coward

For the last 15 years i have gamed heavily on pc - i have also never tweaked or had the need to tweak a driver. I did however seize every opportunity to upgrade individual components to keep the rigs current...

Silver badge

>i have also never tweaked or had the need to tweak a driver.

I've never tweaked a driver for better performance, but have updated them in efforts to improve system stability. My laptop came from a well-known vendor, but it wasn't a mainstream model and the drivers weren't great. YMMV.

Bronze badge
Boffin

The first thing I install on any mac is smcFanControl. On most machines, I end up using it to make the fans run faster just so that I can hear that they're running and not locked up.

The only exception is my original macbook air, which I always have set to maximum fan speed because it's hot even when not doing much.

Headmaster

Grammar

The style of "English" irritated me so much I stopped reading before the end of the first page.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Grammar

Use Google Translate to a more acceptable language. Esperanto maybe.

Headmaster

Re: Grammar

Did the loose style of English make you lose the will to live?

If anyone does find they are loosing files, the solution is to tighten them up.

FAIL

Er, what???

So, if your hard drive fails (which they're known to do...), you now have a very pretty (but very expensive) 21.5" paperweight/doorstop because you can't swap out the drive? That's bloody moronic, even for Apple.

I've never liked the all in one design anyway, I've got a monitor I've had for many years and has been passed between various PC's & laptops over time rather than having to be chucked out because the CPU is too old or a hard drive failed.

Silver badge
Stop

Re: Er, what???

No, it means that you need to give it to a professional repair shop (not nesseserrily Apple) to fix it. It's rather like you complaining that if your car's gearbox fails then you've got an expensive piece of scrap.

Anonymous Coward

You can replace it yourself but like the vast majority of PC users you would take it to an Apple store / 3rd party repair company and they would replace it.

Friend has a drive fail on a 4 year old macbook - they charged him about £100 which was about £20 more than the cheapest I could even buy the bare drive for - they fitted it, reinstalled the OS and explained how to recover the data using TimeMachine.

Anonymous Coward

Simple - just buy a monitor and a mac mini. If you want an iMac you buy an iMac - if you have a monitor or want to upgrade more easily it's Mac Mini. This is why we have choice and why people with 3 kids don't buy 2 seater sports cars.

Silver badge
FAIL

On ejecting discs

Here's another eject bug still not fixed in Mountain Lion...

1. Insert USB memory stick.

2. Put computer to sleep.

3. Remove USB memory stick.

4. Wake up computer.

5. Dialog box saying OMG you didn't eject the USB stick you could have lost data (what, you didn't sync it before sleeping?).

Silver badge

When are they going to stop?

When the thing is like a giant razor blade?

Making it this thin is stupid - it's much thicker in the middle anyway, surely it'd be a more attractive design if it was uniformly thick.

Also, the fact they've made it so thin they couldn't fit a DVD writer in is a fine example of form over function.

Although I think it goes back being about form and comes back to bad design, pure and simple.

If anyone thinks "oh nobody uses optical media, just a get a USB drive if you need it" is completely missing the point. This is a tiny, maybe £10 part that clearly IS useful to a lot of people, and looks like crap cluttering up the desk instead of being integrated into the machine. Also, the position you have it in the picture on the stand means you'll have to move the keyboard out of the way every time you want to deal with the disc drive.

Absolute nonsense from the "style" brigade.

I have an iMac here that's barely a few months old, has a dead DVD drive (from day one, I believe), but their support is so bloody awful that I would need to physically take it to a reseller's store, and come back in a week or so to pick it up. I've never heard of such bad support in >10 years of working in IT, really.

Re: When are they going to stop?

The stupid thing about the whole "OMG IT R SOO SEXY AND THIN" is that the desk footprint is unchanged, since you still have a whopping great stand underneath it to hold it up. The insistence on treating optical media as backwards and having all the ports hidden at the back where you can't get at them does make me wonder who they got to test this - one of the better things Dell monitors have had in recent years is a pair of USB ports on the side of the monitor, so that you can easily get at them. In an AIO system I expect that to be the usability logic for the optical drive, USB ports and SD card if it's present.

Facepalm

You have just answered your own question. The DVD drive by virtue (or sin) of being mechanical is highly prone to failure and infrequently used so moving it outside the case makes a lot of sense from a servicing perspective. I'm no Apple fan, far from it, but on this they are right and the PC I'm building at the moment won't have an internal DVD drive either.

Anonymous Coward

Re: When are they going to stop? (DVD drives)

We have a late-2007 iMac (thankfully still going strong), and the only real problem we've had with it was with (drum roll) the DVD drive. About two years ago, it started failing to eject discs - Google it, this is apparently a fairly common problem with iMacs - and not long afterwards the drive failed completely with a disc stuck inside.

In the event, we had to cough up a not-at-all-small amount to have a replacement DVD drive fitted (and the prisoner disc freed), and after about a year and a half... yup, discs started getting stuck in the new drive too. Not quite as badly, but you can see why I get a cold-sweat feeling every time an optical disc is required...

Our iMac is generally fine, and we hope it'll keep going for a long time to come, but if we had to invest in a new model, I wouldn't miss the optical drive, and would shell out for an external drive if we needed one. Not a slot-load, though :-(

Silver badge

@JT: Using the rationale of moving parts making devices more prone to failure it would be nice if they offered the SSD upgrades for a lower price or even made them standard. It's a £200 upgrade to a fusion drive only available on the £150 more expensive model. No SSD only option. Pfft.

You are 'building' your own pc but won't put a dvd drive in it in case it breaks? You are confused...

Silver badge

@The DVD drive by virtue (or sin) of being mechanical is highly prone to failure

That really was a satirical remark wasn't it. Or are you one of those people that have had 26 DVD drivers fail on you.

Cmon on the last 10 years or so I have never had a DVD drive fail, hard disks on the other hand....and evenit it did fail there are so damned cheap that replacing one really wouldn't be a problem ( except on a 21" inch Mac that has been welded shut)

Thumb Down

Re: Slot-loading drives = worst invention ever?

Slot-loading CD/DVD drives are notoriously bad in general in any computer I've owned one. I had a business Dell laptop a year back in my last job and it was extremely unreliable for reads/writes or anything you chucked at it.

Fortunately, Apple at least have the sense to deliver what the customer wants. A computer that's damn reliable and will sustain the needs of the average customer (not fanboi/not fandroid/not geek) for several years with minimal issues. OS X plus these hardware evolutions are perfect. Most people don't need more than 8GB memory now and storage is going portable/cloud now more so than ever.

Thumb Down

@James Thomas

That sounds unconvincing to me. Personally, I have a probelm with the Apple insistence on using slot-loading skinny optical drives. On a bloody desktop of all things. Stick to a tray-loading drive and at least I can get the bugger open if it decides to die with a disc in it. But I suppose that doesn't fit the sexy paradigm.

I might believe Apple's rationale was down to the failure rate of optical drives if they'd mentioned it, rather than coming out with some condescending shite about how nobody uses DVDs or Blu-rays any more (even though every new film from American entertainment studios gets released on both physical formats within ~3 months of the theatrical release...). Don't mind me, I've just got a faulty RDF...

FAIL

Re: Slot-loading drives = worst invention ever?

@the-it-slayer

"Apple at least have the sense to deliver what the customer wants. "

What, you mean I can add a tray-loading optical drive to my new shiny if the 21.5" iMac is what I think I want? Great!.

Oh, wait.

Everyone I know who works in illustration or visual arts uses DVD as well as external hard drives for storing files. So yeah, this "oh, you don't need it, just use one of our wonderful USB superdrives (at about 5 times the cost of any other USB optical drive)" excuse is a bit weak.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums