back to article NASA: THE TRUTH about the END OF THE WORLD on 21 Dec

Five NASA scientists took time out yesterday to assure the public that the world will not end on 21 December. The astroboffins dismissed claims that a rogue planet called Nibiru will smash into Earth in three weeks, killing us all. The planetary smash-up just before Christmas 2012 was allegedly predicted by the Mayans. A wave …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Stoneshop
        Boffin

What if it was painted black?

Then we would still be able to detect it, as it would be blocking out stuff behind it.

Now, if it was entirely transparent (and not acting as a lens either), or shielded with that invisibility cloak that boffins now manage to erect around sheds (as long as those are cylindrical, 1cm tall and looked at from a particular angle), or surrounded by a SEP field, then you'd have a serious problem seeing it.

1. Androgynous Crackwhore
      Boffin

RE: But what if it's coming from the day side of the Earth?

It doesn't need to be coming form the "day side".

I translated the Mayan texts myself. They are actually surprisingly specific on this subject. They clearly state that Irnbru was ejected from the galactic nucleus of Andromeda at a velocity of 0·99573528C

Those malevolent Mayan munchkins received a tip-off about our impending apocalypse in the form of a radio message sent by (now extinct) inhabitants of a planet towards the edge the Andromeda system. The archaic Andromedonians witnessed the evil ejaculation as it occurred - some 2·5 million years ago. They calculated the terrible trajectory of the ominous orb and its inevitable impact with our paltry planet, and, seeing that our beautiful blue ball was supremely suitable for sustaining sentient species, they were kind enough to send a warning message our way. The message, travelling at ~C, soon overtook the slightly slower moving "planet" and arrived at earth on the morning of 11th May 6022BC. It stated the precise interval between message arrival and impact. Hence the "calendar".

So, you see, it's all true. And no... We certainly can't see it coming. I don't know how those NASA "boffins" can have missed something so obvious. Perhaps they got their translation from Google.

2. ravenviz Silver badge
      Flame

It's coming from *behind the Moon*!

1. Nol

Not a Moon - it's a Death Star...

"That's no moon. It's a space station..."

1. mickey mouse the fith

"Some of them have said they are contemplating suicide."

Maybe they should, it would certainly rid us of some of the ignorant chaff that believe any old crap they see in a youtube video.

1. Seanmon

Yep

Don't mess with Darwin.

2. fandom

"Maybe they should, it would certainly rid us of some of the ignorant chaff that believe any old crap "ç

Yep, we need to make space for the kind of people that think that the make of a smartphone matters.

1. mickey mouse the fith

"Yep, we need to make space for the kind of people that think that the make of a smartphone matters."

Ahhh, But at least a smartphone is a real, tangible, non made up thing though, unlike this invisible planet thats going to vomit out demons/aliens/the welsh or whatever.

1. TRT Silver badge

I think civilisation needs these gullible idiots who will believe anything they are sold. Well, it keeps the money flowing around anyway.

3. Psyx
      Holmes

"Maybe they should"

If they're so sodding sure of themselves, why don't they just wait three weeks!

Seriously: What kind of moron finds out he has three weeks to live and then decides that's too long?

1. Johan Bastiaansen
        Joke

Maybe they should

I don't know. How many different kinds of morons do you have on offer?

1. Robert E A Harvey

Re: Maybe they should

>How many different kinds of morons do you have on offer?

I reckon there is roughly one per IP address, all different.

2. Psyx
          Joke

Re: Maybe they should

"How many different kinds of morons do you have on offer?"

I can get my hands on an entire Lidl-full.

2. Stephen Blake
    Flame

not the end

Even the Mayans used dates after Dec 21st 2012!

If people are too stupid to realise that we can add digits to a date then they are too stupid to be taken seriously.

Frankly if people want to find a reason to worry themselves to death, suicide or otherwise, then they should be left too it and not have NASA waste their time wet-nursing them. Good riddance to their stupidity!

1. jai

Re: not the end

i thought the whole point was that the Mayans took digits away from a date, and thereby the 21st Dec 2012 is actually day 0. it's a mathematical exercise to get to day -1, but is such a thing possible in physics?

1. Grikath

re: Possible in physics?

Ever looked at the concept of imaginary numbers? *shudder*

1. David Pollard

Re: re: Possible in physics?

Imaginary numbers? Is this a bit like Tinkerbell in Peter Pan, so if we all believe in tomorrow very, very much then it really will happen?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If you think imaginary numbers by themselves are bad.... you should try using them in set theory... that really does make the mind explode.

3. C 2
          Coat

Isn't that what government budgets run on?

4. Johan Bastiaansen
          Joke

I dialed an imaginary phone number once.

1. Androgynous Crackwhore
            Facepalm

Re: I dialed an imaginary phone number once. (Johan Bastiaansen)

BT customer service?

5. Michael Dunn
          Unhappy

'Ever looked at the concept of imaginary numbers? *shudder*'

Yes, echo "shudder".

2. SteveK

No, I think this date is just the end of that counter and just rolls onto the next one, in the same way we did at the first millenium (i.e., going from 999 to 1000), not counting down to 'day 0'.

Also, (according to wikipedia at any rate), other Mayan inscriptions do refer to dates further in the future, one in the year 4772 for example, so they clearly don't expect the world to end next month. Then again as their dates seem to resemble IP addresses (albeit with more sets of digits), perhaps they were predicting when we'd be ready to move to IPv6?

3. Michael Dunn

"it's a mathematical exercise to get to day -1, but is such a thing possible in physics?"

You'd find it a bit hard to get to -1 K, I think!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'Frankly if people want to find a reason to worry themselves to death, suicide or otherwise, then they should be left too it and not have NASA waste their time wet-nursing them. Good riddance to their stupidity!'

What if they're kids?

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Devil

Re: Re: not the end

".....What if they're kids?" Then take comfort in the thought that in this highly competitive, dog-eat-dog World, your offspring will have a few less competitors to worry about.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like I will have to find a new job after all

I was banking on the end of the world to solve that particular problem

:(

4. Ralph B
    Mushroom

Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is!

I'll bet a $1,000 against each and every doomsayer who says the world will end on 21st December!

1. Velv
      Go

Re: Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is!

I'll wager £1,000,000 against each one.

The trouble with them being right and winning the bet is they're going to have a hard job finding anyone left to pay up :)

1. Andy ORourke
        Joke

Re: Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is!

I've got a grand on the end of the world, if it does end on the 21st I'm due to collect £25K!!!

5. Dave Hilling
    Trollface

If people are so dumb they believe it will end we should offer to fly them all to a "Secure Cave" (With no air ducts) and lock them in to save them. Gene pool greatly improved.

1. JDX Gold badge

I'm sure Mr. Hitler thought similarly about the Jews.

6. Efros
    Pint

"There's nothing we know of physically that would allow the Sun to switch off for three days and then switch back on."

He obviously hasn't read Vernor Vinge's "A deepness in the sky". But then that sun turned off 215 out of 250 years.

1. What of IT?

or been to Hull.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

"the Sun to switch off for three days"

In Ireland, that was the best summer that I can remember.

1. Stoneshop

In Ireland, that was the best summer that I can remember.

Err, shouldn't that be "switch on"?

7. BorkedAgain
    WTF?

"It makes no sense, because if it was there we could see it. We'd have been tracking it for a decade or so. And by now, it would be the brightest object in the sky after the Sun and Moon. You can dispel this rumour yourself, just go out and look at the sky."

What, trust the evidence of my own senses over the interpreted writings of some ancient folks who made their astronomical observations with rocks? What kind of crazy do you take me for?

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Actually they used string.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Locating the plant

Thanks. Now I have the confidence to locate the planet with my own senses simply by spotting the third brightest object in the sky.

8. TeeCee Gold badge
    Facepalm

Let me fix that.

"... there is a core of people who are truly concerned complete raving nutjobs of the highest calibre."

9. jai

ORLY?

What's the more likely?

1) The world is going to end and NASA know this to be true, and a public message to advise us all to spend the next 4 weeks kissing our backsides goodbye

or

2) The world is going to end and NASA know this to be true, but they issue a public message anyway to tell us all it's not going to happen, thereby avoiding 4 weeks of chaos as mankind descends into hell, rioters taking to the streets, wide spread looting, law and order breaking down, mob rule taking over as no one bothers to go to work and many people dying horribly?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: ORLY?

2) Sounds like the standard economic depression.We know it's boring.

2. HappyCoder

Well if the world is going to end, then a few rioters stealing the neighbours TV and people running around like a bunch of headless chickens doesn't really matter. Whats the point of trying to save civilisation when in a few weeks the planet will be nothing more then pile of space junk anyway. I say let em have their fun.

3. Tom 7

2)....as opposed to many people dying horribly anyway?

1. PhilBuk

2) Sounds like Christmas :-)

Phil.

10. Swedish Chef
    Pint

Apparently there's a 'safe place' somewhere in France...

...for UFOs to land or something. Girlfriend has suggested that if that place exists, we go there on the 21st to watch the doomsdayers gather. This could be entertaining!

It's almost beer o'clock here.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: Apparently there's a 'safe place' somewhere in France...

You could sell bière and saucisses and fromage to good profit.

Then the government comes and taxes you.

1. Miek
        Trollface

"Then the government comes and taxes you." -- Maybe you could try to claim that whilst your sausage and cheese selling arm of your business is based in France; Your profits are actually accrued in another country and that their tax laws are not applicable to you.

2. SirDigalot

I am sure we will find me couper la gorge dibbler selling his saucisses dans un petit pain there could be stiff competition..

(yes I cheated like I speak French hah!)

1. Magister

...ne pas oublier les oignons!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like