back to article Android users: More of them than fanbois, but they don't use the web

Android smartphone shipments now dwarf those of Apple's iPhone, yet Apple's iOS still accounts for the vast majority of mobile web traffic, as reported by The Register. This gaping void between Android adoption and Android-based web browsing, however, isn't cause to ponder whether it's "time to conclude that Android gadgets …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
    1. Rob

Re: Apps vs Browser?

I'm glad someone mentioned it.

All of these stats talk about browsers. I do a lot of surfing on my Android phone and tablet, but when it comes to shopping, like most customers I have a few stores that I use on a regular basis as I know they will provide what I want at a price I'm comfortable with. Those regular shop brands all have an app and I do my purchases through them.

El Reg, do you collect stats on which devices use your app? When I'm at work I use the browser for this site, if I'm out and about or at home I use the app.

1. Andrew Jones 2

Not sure I understand the point -

Android users buy Android because it's cheaper than iDevices BUT they mostly browse over mobile networks - and yet they probably aren't on an unlimited tariff.... is that really what the research is saying?

As for shopping.... don't suppose it has crossed analysts minds that maybe Android users actually use the apps they download as opposed to the Facebook mentality that afflicts iDevice users - just as you get the "I must have as many friends as I can possibly get even then I only know 10 of the 62,000 on my friends list" Facebook users - there does seem to be a definite "I must fill my device with more apps than I will ever use just because I can".

In short - I am quite happy to use the ASDA or Tesco shopping apps on my Android phone for actual shopping - instead of using the respective website. Perhaps iDevice users have the app - but prefer to use the website (or maybe forget they have an app for it since they have 90 billions pages of app icons)

1. Miek
      Linux

"Android users buy Android because it's cheaper than iDevices" -- Not at all, for me, I personally hate iTunes and the way that Apple place artificial limitations on their products along with the general contempt they have for their paying customers.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Traffic from iPhones is obviously going to be much higher than from Android due to the need to add

"sent from my iPhone"

to every packet!

1. Andrew Jones 2

Must stop drinking coffee when reading el-reg forums.....

Please send me a new keyboard to: P.O Box.........

(Not sent from an iPhone)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

LOL Android does it too with much larger, wasteful, names:

I.e. "sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G"

People actually leave it that way when posting in forums! Idiots.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is NO surprise I know loads of Android users who basically got their phone as a freebie upgrade from some old candybar style and use it for text and calls only - most do NOT even have a data tariff enabled.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Basically we a small hard-core of Android users who surf, stream and everything and the rest (98%) who do very little other than text and make calls (which is fine).

I know lots of people with both Android phones and iPhones - all the iPhone users have email on their phones, use them for calling / text (obviously) but also surfing, facebook, games, browsing - everything. I'd day 90% of the Android users do not even have email on their phones - many do not even have data tariffs as they are just not interested and just wanted a smarter looking phone.

Some even call their phones - iPhones and I've heard a lot of people calling their non-Apple tablets iPads as well.

5. Tim 54
    FAIL

Still get the money

The key thing for Google is getting and Targetting ads. That's where they make the money. The problem with this article is that the analysis is right, but the conclusion is wrong.

I'm an android user. That means Google knows where I live, where I travel (and when) and so on.

An advertiser cares I'm a bloke in southampton. Do they care if I surf from my PC at home or on my phone? I doubt it. The ability to target me is based on what Google knows about me, and my Android phone adds massively to that. That ups the value of my PC advertising.

Google knows what it's doing......

6. danny_0x98

Given that iOS share is currently best in the iPad-like sector, it follows that the ratio in cell phones is worse than 15:75, so with cellular network usage being fairly close, the question about usage versus ownership hasn't been obviated.

But, I'm not sure, other than bragging rights, what this matters. Used to be that people were citing Android's rapid catch-up and surpassing of iOS share as a harbinger of Apple's mobile doom, but so far, it hasn't been going according to the 1990s script. I suspect it's because, and I think this is ironic, the network effect of desktop operating systems and application breaks down when communications and computation are highly networked.

A sober discussion of statistics and trends subverted by an unfortunate title, though I understand that El Reg is irreverent to a fault; perhaps super-imposing insulting terms upon Mr. Asay's writing is such a fault-line.

7. FartingHippo
    Boffin

Simples

Android users are smart enough to use Wifi.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Simples

But apparently not smart enough to read the article?

8. Gadget Rage is BAD
    FAIL

Its hardly complicated.

A massive percentage of Android users are folk who have been given it free or cheap by the phone operator. They have minimal interest in using it as a smartphone or at least minimal understanding of how to use it as a smartphone and given that Android is hardly intuitive with its myriad of options (which is exactly why many geeks do like it and thats their choice) its not a huge surprise that your 65 year old auntie doesn't use to surf the net and she probably doesn't even know what an APP is!

More iOS users buy the device to USE it for what makes it more than a normal phone or mp3 player whereas many Droid owners neither know nor care what their free phone can do.

1. Darryl

Re: Its hardly complicated.

So USING a phone means shopping with it?

2. Riccardo Spagni

Re: Its hardly complicated.

Indeed - I said the same thing before I noticed your comment:) Be prepared to be downvoted to hell by the legions of Fandroids and apologists here.

9. badmonkey

why don't Android users surf the web using Wi-Fi more often?

Because iPads still dominate the tablet market, where many products are wi-fi only or are mostly used only in scenarios with wi-fi access.

In the mobile internet stats, where phones are more likely to be the devices in use, we see what we would expect.

10. Captain Hogwash

I'm a reluctant Android user who limits surfing via the phone due to:

i) there are few times during any given day when I don't have something more suitable available such as a desktop or laptop PC.

ii) I don't know what data is being slurped by Google and it's much harder to find out/control it than on a PC. (Feel free to debunk this point if you can - I'd love to replace the tinfoil hat with something in felt.)

However, I know other Android users who know nothing much of the web capabilities of their phones. They use them for calls/texts but don't have data plans. Many are on PAYG and won't use data services because of the (perceived?) high cost. Often they chose the phone on the basis of camera quality and just happened to get Android by default. Hell, a lot of them don't even know they have Android - as far as they are concerned they have an HTC or a Sony or whatever.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pretty little graphs mean F all.

I don't believe the sh te that I'm forced to read because my experiences do not tally with the pretty little graphs and bullshit commentary.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Your experience is obviously all that matters in your little world.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

yay, more bullshit

that pretends that Android handsets are bought by people that can't afford iPhones.

Sigh.....

13. Androgynous Crackwhore
    Facepalm

uh?

Has the author mistaken BROWSER for OS?

What is that (strongly showing 3rd) "Opera Mini" in the graph of data supposedly supporting the article? Why didn't it get a single mention in the copy? To which OS was it attributed?

14. FlingoBingo

Browser Agent

Another vote for browser agent. When the wife first got her Asus Transformer she set it to IPAD, otherwise the BBC claimed her device wasn't compatible. These days she leaves it as 'desktop'. None of her browsing gets recorded as Android - doesn't mean it's not happening though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Re: Browser Agent

If that many people left it on desktop we'd see a massive surge in Linux web browsing, which is what Android reports when in desktop mode.

However none of the reports (e.g. StatCounter) shows this, Linux web browsing in total still accounts for less than 2% of worldwide browsing, exactly the same as 3 years ago when Android started gaining popularity.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Browser Agent

Proving few people change user agent.

2. vic 4

Re: that many people left it on desktop

That assumes you set it to a linux desktop agent. Default "desktop" agents usually pretend to be windows, even nowadays there are websites that don't like linux.

1. Riccardo Spagni

Re: that many people left it on desktop

Wrong, Android sets it to Chrome on Linux.

1. vic 4

Re: Wrong, Android sets it to Chrome on Linux.

Android does, or at least the browsers do. However we were talking about changing the browser agent to pretend to be a desktop browser, many "default" desktop settings you can choose from pretend to be windows desktops.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For me the reason is simple

For all the talk that Google is the master of the Web, Apple actually produces and delivers a much more pleasurable and polished web browsing experience.

Web browsing on Android always make me wish I was using a desktop instead. iOS on the other hand makes me wish at could do all my browsing there, the only reason not to is because there's still a handful of braindead sites which don't cooperate.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: For me the reason is simple

"Web browsing on Android always make me wish I was using a desktop instead. iOS on the other hand makes me wish at could do all my browsing there, the only reason not to is because there's still a handful of braindead sites which don't cooperate."

..until you get to websites with stupid bloody javascript menus, or forms which need a fair bit of text editing, then it gets a bit annoying. If I am lounging on the sofa trying to do webby things on my iPad, as soon as I have to handle any quantity of text, the lousy interface conventions mean that I could save a buttload of time by booting up the PC instead. God, how I wish Apple at least gave us a bit draggable cursor puck thingy a la Android. Having to dig out the Apple BT keyboard to get the benefit of proper cursor control means actually getting up off my arse (gasp), and the BT stack in my iPad 3 is lamentably laggy- I can type faster than it can register. I know it's the stack, as the same KB is quick like a fox when used with a Nexus 7 or my MBP.

Le grumble..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Agree - think a lot is down to the browser - i.e. Safari and the whole iOS experience is better. I'd say at least 3/4s of the Android users I know are not even on data tariffs and to them it's just a touch screen phone and it gets used only for calls and texts.

I'd say less than 10% use email on their Androids whereas every iPhone user seems to.

1. vic 4

> think a lot is down to the browser

Yep, give me Dolphin over safari any day.

But a lot to do with it is down to the web site, which fair enough is irrelevant from a users point of view. Many web sites either just let android browsers use the standard web site view, and some send you to some ios look and feel site which looks so out of place,

2. This post has been deleted by its author

16. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Unhappy

My 2p worth

I have a Kindle HD Fire so it is sorta like and Android tablet.

The only time I connect to the internet is to download some E-books. If I recall, I've yet to fire up the web browser.

I do listen to music (downloaded from my PC over USB cable) and the same goes for TV Progs I've PVR's.

The HDMI Output is pretty good and the Hotel I'm currently staying in has TV's with HDMI Inputs. Yay.

I did have an iPad in my previous job. I used it for a lot of web browsing so I guess that the general impression of the use of Android Tablets might not be too far wrong.

What I hate is that some of the games (Sudoku and Solitaire) keep trying to phone home. I wish I could configure them to stop nagging me to 'Follow them on Faceblock' or upload my scores.

Offline, is just that offline and the devices should recognise that have. The Sudoku one even does it in flight mode. As a developer, I consider that this is just sloppy pprogramming.

17. Swedish Chef
    Trollface

Using iGadgets to surf at home...

One could argue that Android owners are more likely to have enough money left to buy a proper computer for browsing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Using iGadgets to surf at home...

You could try but it's not true. Suspect far more android handsets are on el cheap PAYG tariffs or lower cost monthly tariffs (often without data).

1. This post has been deleted by its author

18. DrXym

There is a reasonable explanation for this

iPhones are typically sold on expensive tariffs that bundle data. Android phones are more commonly sold in a mix of tariffs including PAYG, and sim free where data might possibly be opt-in and may be more limited.

So it affects usage habits. e.g. I pay for 700MB data as an extra on my PAYG plan which is enough for mail and some casual web browsing but I'm not going to be watching YouTube videos through it any time soon. And I have wifi at home so it's only for when I'm out and about - as soon as I get home the phone automatically switches across.

19. Jim Lewis

1. One of the aspects of iDevices that the fans point to the most is the usability. IE the target market is for the less tech savvy consumer.

2. Less tech savvy people may not regularly use/have access to a PC. I have friends in this category who hadn't sent an email prior to owning an iPhone

3. Given that for such users the iDevice is the only platform available to shop from it's hardly surprising the data reflect this.

4. I use an Android phone, and do use it for browsing, usually via wifi, when i can't be arsed to fire up my PC. However, with a PC in front of me during working hours it is this that I use for the majority of my transactions.

1. Harvey Trowell
      Thumb Up

Hell yes

Much better idea to do your shopping whilst you're being paid for your time, if nothing else it frees up more pub hours.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fandroids want to believe it's down to user agents etc. - the simple fact is iDeveices are typically used more and to more of their ability (web, email, apps etc.) whereas most Android devices (if they even know it's Android) are colour screen e-readers OR basic media players OR infrequent web browsers. In reality many will be on simple PAYG call / text plans and not or little used for any data.

21. vic 4
    Trollface

Anroid makes less http requests maybe

Google search vs siri is better so don't need to visit as many sites looking for stuff.

Plus you can get ad blocking software for android so less traffic from ads and scripts

22. JeffyPooh
    Pint

The answer may be in the Data Plans

Here at work, there are more Android phones than iPhones. But the iPhone people tend to have mobile network plans (subscriptions) that include significant monthly data allowance, either 1GB or (in my case) 6GB per month. The Android people here at work are cheap and thrifty and almost universally have cheap-as-chips 'Pay-As-You-Go' type plans and have data allowances on the order of 10MB or 100MB per month.

So the next question is why Android people have smaller data plans than iPhone people. I think it's because thrifty people are repulsed by "expensive" iPhones (thus are forced to Android), and are shocked to their core by they-really-are-fricken-expensive generous GB-class data plans.

Homework: Plot the Android/iPhone ratio as a one-dimensional function from London to Edinburgh. Just sayin'.

23. jfvb

Android owner surfing with iPad

Owner of an Android phone because I'm a prepaid user. Without data plan there isn't much incentive to use the web, the screen size doesn't help too. So my main tool for internet use is the iPad through wifi (i bought the iPad mainly because of the 4:3 screen ratio and the apps).

All is not bad for Google in my situation as the Android phone is a way of keeping me using their services.

24. Steve Foster

What about tethering?

Although I have a good data allowance with my Android phone, I probably use more of that allowance through tethering from a laptop while out and about. My suspicion would be that they probably haven't allowed for that in their figures.

25. Alan Denman

£36 and $65 contracts are the norm for iThingsies.

It simply shows that they have been suckered into paying fat sums so they have to get their moneys worth.

£720+ worth of IOS internet versus £100 or so paid out on PAYG Android.

Obvious innit?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: £36 and $65 contracts are the norm for iThingsies.

Perhaps - but of course a lot of that cost is paying for the handset itself.

I suspect a lot of people get a free (cheap) Android handset when renewing their £15-20/month contract buut often it has no data so basically they are just getting the handset to use as a full screen phone (plus texts).

To get higher end Android phones or an iPhone you are looking at the £30-50/month end of the market. Either way the majority of Android users are phone users and benefit little from having a smart phone (other than it looks cool) whereas iPhone users are much more likely to actually get proper use from their phones.

Most businesses I see are buying iPhones instead of Android as well and largely moving from Blackberry.

1. alun phillips
        Megaphone

I believe the proper use for a phone may be given away by their name "PHONE", all the smart phone gubbins is a perk to us power users. Most of the iPhone users in work spend considerably more time on FB on their iPhones than I do on my android phone so yes they use the net more is that anything really to crow about?

Personally i select the best tool for the job, so if im doing intensive web search prior to buying something it's normally done via my pc.

2. Chemist

"when renewing their £15-20/month contract buut often it has no data so basically they are just getting the handset to use as a full screen phone (plus texts)."

It's quite possible (my wife has just done it) to get a mid-range Android phone, 1GB data, 250 mins, 5000 texts for £15/month in the UK.

1. SuperHoopMango
          Happy

Why?

Why would you bring a reasonable point to a shit-slinging contest?

I was really getting into the iOS/Android argument, and you bring up a common sense point! Not fair!

Anyway, as an Android user with an almost 2 year old Galaxy S, I use the browser occasionally, if I'm out. Other than that, a laptop or PC will do for me. I use MY phone to it's fullest potential, but fully expect to go to the S3 when I upgrade.

Now, on the 1st page someone made reference to a 65 year old user who may not even KNOW they've got a smartphone, if it's a basic Android.... Well, guess what? I have a 65 year old mother who is most impressed with her mid-range Droid! And also uses it for a myriad of tasks.... From shopping to booking tickets, to alarm clock and diary.

Not ALL OAP's are full of technofear!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That may be true but a user who buys no apps / media and has no data add-on etc. is worthless - or worth no more than someone buying a basic Nokia etc. Building no loyalty to Android and Google getting no data to mine / sell ads on.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like