back to article Facebook tries to stop its staff using iPhones in 'dogfood' push

Facebook's campaign against the Apple iPhone has moved up a notch: staff are urged to grab an Android gadget and bug test the social network's mobile app as more punters plump for Google's operating system. Facebook employees are now told to eat their own "droidfood" - a reference to the software development approach of using …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Don't get it

Nope, it won't.

Tech company employees are not the kinds of people that Facebook is really aimed at.

After all, how many commentards actually like Facebook?

It appears to me that the majority either tolerate it or actively hate it, and commentards are mostly employees of tech companies - that's the nature of the self-selection here.

1. dssf

Next up...

FB wil add crowd funding platform tech to every subscriber's profile, encouraging innovation, entrepreneurial spirit, and raking in 15% of funded projects... Effectively pulling a quasi apple... In advance fb will buy a credit card transaction processor, and keep for itself a 3.8% transaction cut from the funder/donor AND funded parties, potentially raking more than working with jobs related sites...

2. mark l 2 Silver badge

"The social network's worker bees are expected to be beta testers too"

I thought facebook just let the entire Android community be the beta testers for the facebook app as i don't think anyone at facebook actually tested it before its uploaded to google play as it always shockingly bad.

3. Dana W
    Thumb Down

Can you blame them?

I bought my first Android device, and out of the box I liked it so much I considered one of their phones. ONE OS update, from 4.1 to 4.2 crippled my super slick Nexus 7 to a device that jerks and freezes playing Mahjong. Seriously? this much CPU and its choking on junk games?

I'm expecting a 64 gig iPad mini under the tree this Christmas. I'll hang onto the Nexus and see if it matures into something more usable in the next upgrade.

Cue Fandroid attack.

1. Piro Silver badge

Re: Can you blame them?

If it hosed, it hosed it. I would recommend a factory reset, though.

1. Dana W

Ok, I'll try it. It can't hurt.

2. Tom 35

I had a couple apps on my Nexus 7 stop working with the 4.2 upgrade. Took 2-3 days for them to release upgrades to make them 4.2 compatible. Since then other apps have been upgraded to add support for the new 4.2 features. My Nexus 7 now works better then it did before the upgrade.

You may have a bad app or something but the Nexus 7 works fine with 4.2.

3. Random Coolzip

Funny, that's exactly why I ditched my iPhone. Was great out of the box, then did a minor release update and noticed it was a bit slower, then the update to the next major release pretty much crippled it. Finally got to the point where it was quicker to scoop the GPS off the floor of the car, plug it in and let it figure out where I was than to use the phone. Shame, really, as I liked the phone but I wasn't going to be forced into a mandatory biannual upgrade cycle.

1. Dana W

That is old hardware. I"m not talking about a two year old phone. An update should not trash a CURRENT device. "My phones are replaced every two years, I'm not seeing any problems."

4. Eddie Edwards

"Charts using IDC numbers show how Android devices will comprehensively dominate the market by 2016"

In fact, the chart in that TechCrunch article shows Android comprehensively dominating the market in 2012. By 2016 there will apparently be 2x as many phones, but the ratio between Android and iOS stays about constant.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

People still use Facebook?

Wow

6. Gil Grissum
    Pint

I don't think so

The only way an employer gets to choose my mobile phone, is if they are issuing it to me and paying for the service. My personal phone is my personal business and I will use the platform that I bloody well please. They want employees to beta test a platform of their choice, then Zuckerberg can spend some of his billions and buy them the phones of his choice.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: I don't think so

Yes, if your employer is buying the phone and paying the contract, you get what you're given.

Although, if they said "We'll pay 50% of your contract costs if you get phone X as your personal phone", that might be tempting.

Finally, "We recommend you get phone X, or your job is at risk" (outright or implied) may be unethical, and even illegal in the EU, but it's permitted in much of the USA.

Personally, I'm guessing they are doing the first one.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hire testers

I realise android is low grade and more testing needs to be done. So get real testers rather than expecting employees to suffer with the malware OS.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like