Feeds

back to article Samsung Google Nexus 10 tablet review

Why would you buy a tablet other than an iPad? Obviously, some don’t care for Apple’s locked-in system and others like the way users can dig more deeply into the workings of Android. Good enough reasons, sure, but the truth is that until the day dawns when a tablet is of comparable specification, but substantially cheaper than …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Re: No SD slot . .

"Why do you need an SD slot?"

To carry more stuff - its a tablet aimed at media/internet consumption, a little pointless if you can't store media on it!

"If it's just to hold movies and photos, then let me introduce you to Nexus Media Importer."

You don't need an app to use USB host on Android - just use a file explorer or open files from the USB drive in whichever media program you are using.

But carrying around adapters/cords and USB drives is nowhere near as convenient as throwing a 64gb microsd in the device when you buy it and having heaps of storage built in.

+1 on the "no sd no sale". Hopefully Samsung will bring out a similar model with an sd slot like their current tablets. I'm sure Samsung would like to have a high res screen like this to counter the ipad.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Totally agree with you, SD slot is a must on any new device I buy.. hence I got the note10.1 over this,and the note is an amazing tablet, I know people might not like a stylus, but if you've ever used a GFX tablet (I have one on my desk) you'll love it, so much more natural to scribble than to try typing with one hand on the go....

Anonymous Coward

USB OTG a la nexus 7 i.e. root and use stickmount or Nexus Media Importer (no rooted solution)

"USB OTG a la nexus 7 i.e. root and use stickmount or Nexus Media Importer (no rooted solution)"

Or just plug it in and open whatever file you want in the media player et al or navigate to the file using a file explorer - you don't need additional software or root as long as the device supports USB host.

"you don't need additional software or root as long as the device supports USB host."

True but they seem to be talking about the Nexus 7 which doesn't support it without additional software. I've got one on my desk which I'm about to do a factory reset on so I'll confirm! :-) I know I wouldn't have pissed about rooting the thing if I'd not had to in order to get Stick mount to work.

Silver badge
Pint

"No SD slot . No sale."

Micro-USB-to-USB cable and a USB drive (which I always have on a key-ring these days anyway)?

I know the cable is a chore, but I honestly prefer USB drives because they stick into everything and they don't get lost in the bottom of pockets. And if you're carrying the thing in a case with a little pocket on, there's really no extra chore in carrying the cable... unless you are concerned with an unsightly bump in the pocket, in which case there's something already designed for people who care about that kind of thing. *points to Applestore*

Unhappy

"...you don't need additional software or root as long as the device supports USB host."

Unfortunately, the Nexus 7 (and almost certainly the Nexus 10) do NOT support it. Hence the need for Nexus Media Importer or StickMount (if you're happy to root your machine).

(What did I do to get the downvotes above?)

Silver badge
FAIL

Because shit hanging out the side like a hideous tumour is of course what you want.

No, No SD, no sale.

Thumb Up

Re: No SD slot ... No sale

If they're not going to allow the memory to be expanded they should at least start with a decent amount. I could probably live without a card slot if the tablet had (say) 64GB to start with ... but even so a slot would be an added convenience. The ability to attach a card using USB host connection and an adaptor would be a much more acceptable solution if the internal memory were greater to start with.

I have a Galaxy tablet with 16GB and I keep a 32GB card in the micro-SD slot, and that gives me enough. 32GB total would be cutting it a little fine.

Silver badge

Re: No SD slot ... No sale

I agree. no SD is a killer for me. Looks like a cheap tab2 rooted for me. 32gb SD cards are cheap. The amount of converted kids dvds I can put on that is quite a sum. Certainly enough for a long journey or plane flight.

16Gb (how much is available to use?) wont go very far indeed.

Silver badge
Pint

"Because shit hanging out the side like a hideous tumour is of course what you want.

No, No SD, no sale."

The thing has... how much on-board memory again? You really need more film choices than that for a weekend away?

Or you can't plug the USB stick in, transfer the data and then unplug it?

Or the idea of someone seeing you with a USB stick and a cable hanging out of the side of your device causes you so much social shame as to be unbearable?

/shrug.

I'm not you, but those aren't good reasons for me. It's practically Apple-user-esque to my mind, but then I don't have a side panel on my PC, either.

We are different customers. I don't think that warrants a 'fail' really, do you?

Silver badge

It has 16Gb, I have no idea how much is usable. Perhaps 10gb? 12gb?

My kids have 2 peppa pig DVDs. They are about a gig each. They also have a couple of Thomas the tank DVDs another gb. They often cant decide what to watch between Cars 2, Cars, Tinkerbell 1 or 2 (dont have the others yet). They are a gb each.

That is before the music CDs have been added or perhaps something us adults want to watch in the evening.

A 32GB card would take care of all the above worries and enable said card to be swapped into my phone should I want to use phone or tablet for something else. I dont want a franken cable hanging out of the bottom and in the car I dont want to have to swap 4gb of data becuase the kids want to watch a "certain episode" then another etc. It might be fine for you in which case I wish you the best of luck. But for me, no sale.

Silver badge

I like to keep a lot on my tablet at any given time - a massive collection of photos so I can leaf through or show them around - videos for flights, and maybe some random useful files. The point is, a simple microSD slot would cost pennies to include, and then I have the option of swapping out storage as much as I want, having it flush and internal. This is a 10" tablet, there's more than enough room for it. To be honest, a full size SD slot would be even more useful, as then I could download photos directly to it from my camera.

Don't defend these simple, and very useful omissions, because one day functionality you want will be lacking, and you will be surrounded by people also saying "why would you need to do that? why don't do it like THIS, pff, you're so stuck in the past", and you will be frustrated. Don't defend bad design.

JB

I totally agree with everyone on this, but nobody seems to grasp that Google want you to store all your stuff on their servers, or download/stream content from the cloud rather than store it locally.

Personally, I just plug it into the computer and load up what i need, and then when i'm done, clear it off and load more. Not perfect, but at least I'm not wasting bandwidth uploading tons of stuff to the cloud.

I have a Nexus 10 and love it. For me, having vanilla Android is more important than an SD slot..already upgraded to 4.2.1.

"Android is known for draining battery life through too many background programs running"

Really? I get much better battery life out of my Android handsets than I got out of my 3GS.

Never owned an ipad so that may be different, but I have no complaints about the battery life on my galaxy tab...

iPhone 5 benches very well when it comes to battery life, and I think large improvements have been made since the 3GS. Perhaps you are comparing more recent Android tech with an older iPhone, which would not really be fair.

"Perhaps you are comparing more recent Android tech with an older iPhone, which would not really be fair."

I'm comparing the 3GS with the original Galaxy S - they were both on sale at the same time so I think its a reasonable comparison as these things go.

With the 3GS I had to turn all the auto sync/push features to get a day's battery life out of it. Using the Galaxy on the same network and my usual usage patterns I could run absolutely everything and still finished with more battery (according to the respective phone's guages).

Bottom line was the battery life affected how I could use my phone. I'm not precious on numbers, if both phones lasted all day with my usage patterns I wouldn't care if one had a bigger battery number at the end of the day.

The iphone 5 could be much better on battery life, I don't know, but I'm sold on the customisation and features of Android OS now, even though ios talks much better to my macbook pro.

Anonymous Coward

@Chet

And here I am with a (now unsupported) Nexus S and it's battery life is inferior to that of the iPhone I had previously (3Gs). Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

Re: @Chet

"Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal."

Absolutely I'd never claim otherwise, but the Android is known for poor battery life comment in the article doesn't even quote an anecdote.

My original point was that the article comment was rubbish - there's nothing inherent in Android that gives it poor battery life. Sure there are no doubt some cheap Android phones that may have poor battery life due to their hardware, but its not the OS...

Happy

Should cousins marry?

laughed so hard i now hove Coffee on keyboard, desk and shirt.

:D

Meh

Really?

*On the Android Side*

The cloud integration of Android (assuming you are on a ICS/Jelly Bean build of course) is first class. Way better than anything that Apple have. That is a fact and while Apple are getting better, Google have got it mastered. Contacts, email, chat not to mention bookmarks. I can (and have) started composing an email on my PC and finished it in the car (misses driving obviously!) on my phone. Likewise, starting surfing on the Phone (chrome) and finished reading at home, no need to bookmark, you can see all the other devices. And multi-user is fantastic. I no longer have to see the kids build an ice cream/cake/ice lolly icons for those tedious games (they are on ios too!) cluttering up my desktop. Likewise, I hate facebook but the misses loves it. Well, I don't need to see her crap anymore either!

Did you know you can upload 20,000 of your own music tracks to google if you've already got them (for FREE!). They then are available to either stream or download to the device from within the music app? Suddenly an SD card slot doesn't seem quite to important does it! (I put 2,000 up the other day, works a treat)

Did you know you can install a DLNA server on your phone to watch content on a DNLA TV. (This is quite common on modern TV's). Don't need an apple TV box! I'm assuming apple don't allow such applications.

And finally, google maps rocks. And on android you can cache it for off line use.

*On The Apple Side*

The apple hardware does always 'feel nice'. I don't quite know what magic they use, but you cant deny an apple piece of hardware does feel good in the hand. IOS is also undeniably simple. My misses never got on with android on her phone, and while she sometimes pokes like a chimp at the phone, I generally have to give her a lot less support that when she had an android phone. Cost of the hardware made me cry, it is very expensive for what it is but thats how those apple people like it.

IOS do seem to get the APP's first too, but this is becoming less so.

Overall

I think the article is somewhat unfair to suggest that its not PC replacement, neither is an ipad fully. I've got office apps, I can cache most stuff for off line. And the apps are better in some instances on android than ios, and sometimes the other way around (lets just say iplayer!). While I don't deny I'm probably bias towards android I don't dismiss IOS at all. Its good at what it does.

The weird thing is my kids use both and they have no preference. So maybe that's the truth (kids are awfully truthful). The fact that they don't distinguish which device they pick up means they are both equally useful and good and actually its the prejudices we get as adults that make us believe one is better than the other!

Anonymous Coward

Re: Really?

I agree with the cloud connectivity of google being great, but I thing a micro SD slot is important, and I would have loved to see a full size SD connector there as well like the raspberry pi's (i.e. not flush when inserted)

I brought a note 10.1, and an OTG connector so I can connect full size sd cards from my camera and put the photos on the tablet (also I back up to a NAS drive) but at 16GB, there isn't enough room to copy over a full SD to the tablet, and when on the go i.e. I am in a hotel somewhere and i am charged massive $$$ per megabyte, being able to copy to a micro SD I have inserted into the tablet is great..

the cloud only works for media & backup if connectivity is universal, which is isn't

I got one of these as an early christmas present for my wife. I was going to also use it to learn a bit of android development, but I can't prise it out of her hands, so I had to get a Nexus 7 for my dev work. :)

The display is amazing, and watching high-res films like Timescapes is awesome. The non-metal case is nicer to hold than an iPad (I don't have an iPad but some of my friends do, so I can compare!). I guess that's really a matter of taste though.

Overall this is an amazing tablet; very glad I managed to snag one.

Silver badge

Media consumption?

I know this is pushed hard by the vendors, but apart from the nerds on the train, does anyone watch movies on a tablet?

I watch on a laptop - it stands up on its own and I listen to music from my phone - its more portable.

My tablet is mainly a tertiary - "I need a browser right now" device. Yes I want it to play video, but its certainly not the media display of choice.

Re: Media consumption?

My wife does and she's hardly a nerd and is only occasionally "on the train".

"apart from the nerds on the train, does anyone watch movies on a tablet?"

I assume you don't fly much?

A tablet is way better suited to playing movies in-flight on a meal tray, the battery life is much better than any laptop I've owned and its 1/3rd of the weight (which is handy in Aus where you have a 7kg carry on limit)

Anonymous Coward

Not when I'm at home, when I have a desktop/TV for my media, but those of us "nerds" who have to commute or travel frequently often find that for media consumption on the move a tablet beats most other devices hands down, especially if your laptop is large/heavy/old with bad battery life/non-existent. I know my girlfriend will often use her Nexus 7 to watch an episode of something even when at home because it's lighter/easier to carry round the house/I've nicked her laptop.

At the end of the day it's a form factor that is useful for some and not for others. Just because *you* don't use it for a particular purpose because your life is set up a particular way doesn't mean that others won't get use out of it, or that it's not good at fulfilling that purpose.

Go

"Just because *you* don't use it for a particular purpose because your life is set up a particular way doesn't mean that others won't get use out of it,"

What nonsense. Only my requirements matter. And they are a monchrome screen on which I can do CAD, with the cursor controlled by 2 rotating white dials (one controls drawing in the x asis and the other in the y axis) combined with a patented, inverted 'shake-to-clear' feature. I also require infinite battery life.

Until recently there has only been a largish 10" model available (in a rather fetching red plastic) but a few years ago a 4" 'mini' version was launched...

Bronze badge

Years ago, I would take a laptop on holiday with me, with a bunch of DVDs to get over jet lag.

These days, thank goodness, I don't need a relatively bulky device and spinning bits of plastic to do that.

And when I'm at home, I download to my iPad, where I often beam the movie to a 50" plasma display, via AirPlay.

Anonymous Coward

Rubbish. I bet you're lying. This would be so much better to do if you had Android. The movies would look better and it'd be easier too.

Silver badge

I dont. The kids do. Out in the car? chinapad keeps em quiet (4 hours to the grandparents and 6 to the inlaws; the downside of living in cumbria). Looking around the garden center when the kids are usually bored? Perfect! Then we go to the park to burn off steam afterwards.

Anonymous Coward

Movies on tablets

iPlayer on the BB Playbook is superb and I can route it through my TV. For a replacement, I want a tablet with a proper separate HDMI out (and a magnetic charger connector like the PB) so I don't overuse one connector.

Come on Samsung, magnetic power connectors and hdmi ports can't be subject to patents can they?

Bronze badge

Oh dear

"magnetic power connectors ... can't be subject to patents can they?"

Thumb Up

HDMI and magnetic ports

FYI, I have one and it has both HDMI out and a magnetic port (not used yet, but in all likelihood will provide charging connectivity).

Next.

Anonymous Coward

No sale here, either.

I would love one of these, but until they add the SD slot, it ain't gonna happen.

Re: No sale here, either.

The way things are going, you're never going to get a tablet.

Bronze badge

Nexus devices don't have SD card slots and haven't since they were first introduced. If you need more than the capacity offered by this and other versions you're not going to be buying a Nexus device.

Asus Transformers. Problem solved.

Bronze badge

And the reason they have no SD card slot is...

...that Google's business model is to know as much about you as it can in order to flog you stuff, and by omitting the SD card slot you have to send all your data through the cloud, preferably via their servers. It's no surprise that this has no SD card slot and others are right - with a Google device it ain't going to happen.

Bronze badge

downvote so I guess I'm wrong then...

Is there another reason why there's no highly useful (micro-)SD card slot? They cost pennies so it's not cost. Other manufacturers have no problem putting them into tablets so it's not technical. Is it so they can overcharge you for the model with extra storage? If not, why doesn't Google put SD card slots in their products?

Honestly, I have no axe to grind on this one - I'd really like to know the answer.

This post has been deleted by its author

Bronze badge

Re: downvote so I guess I'm wrong then...

"Is there another reason why there's no highly useful (micro-)SD card slot?"

Doesn't microsoft sue anyone selling gadgets with FAT support?

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Re: And the reason they have no SD card slot is...

"you have to send all your data through the cloud"

Or...y'know... use a USB cable.

It's generally quicker.

Bronze badge

USB cable

A USB cable with a computer dangling off the other end is another possible means of transferring the data, but it doesn't really answer my question.

Bronze badge

FAT support

A convincing reason - could this be it? Still a bit of a shame, as an SD card can still be used to provide extra storage and backup without needing to be FAT-formatted, but it makes it less convenient or impractical for other uses.

Silver badge

Re: FAT support

Aha, you're right. They wont have a licence for FAT support. They would have more complaints when people find out you need EXTx formatted SD cards.

Thumb Down

"but the truth is that until the day dawns when a tablet is of comparable specification, but substantially cheaper .. "

Sorry, but no, the truth is that people buy Apple because they love Apple, it is pure emotion, specifications and price are not a factor (Android devices have out-spec'd and under-cut Apple for a long time, the only thing Apple had going for them on the spec sheet was display resolution and now even that's gone). It is true though that there are people who buy Android devices because they can't afford Apple devices.

Not in the tablet space they haven't. Until the Nexus 7 came along, there wasn't really anything significantly cheaper that was any good (IMO). And Apple are still in the lead when it comes to GPU performance, by some margin (have a gander at the andandtech benchmarks). I think the Nexus 10 is faster (and better, because of flash) for browsing, but only if you don't use Chrome.

Silver badge

"specifications and price are not a factor "

Oh, price is a factor... people WANT to pay more for Apple. It's a status product.

Look at Porsche Boxters, and how they're derided, because they're affordable.

Who derides the Boxster? By far better value for money than a 911 with all the widgets and gadgets added on

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.